meindl vs kenetrek vs others?

ozyclint

WKR
hey folks,
just after some oppinions on some kenetreks or other brands of boots.
i have 2 pairs of meindls at the moment, the makalu pro (10 years old and nearly had it) and the antarktis, (4 years old, insulated. these are my winter boots)
i'm looking at replacing the makalu pros but not having tried any other brands besides meindl i'm unsure of the durability and quality of other brands.
i'm looking for a 9-10" boot with stiff soles, non insulated and waterproof. i have in mind the non insulated kenetrek mountain extreme's. do you think these might be too hot even with thin cotton socks for temps in the 0-30 degree C range, (32-90 F)??? or will they fit the bill nicely?
i've been happy with the meindl's but they don't seem to have a 9-10" non insulated boot. they seem to have the 7" range only.

any lowa models worth considering?

The Meindl DenalI are 9" non insulated and water proof, and have a stiff sole. Perfect fit, im going to get a pair myself.

Lawnboi

WKR
Meindl alaskas are a good option. the hunter is 9" and 200g thinsulate which imo isn't enough not to justify looking at them.

IMO the meindl alaskas are up there in quality w/ lowa, kennetrek ect. They are also a very stiff boot

Id definetly consider lowa as well. The tibets have got to be close to 9" and are incredibly stiff and supportive.

Those are a few I have personal experience with. Id also look at hanwag. Id like to try a pair of their boots, probably will when my meindl's kick the bucket

Last edited:

Ozz08

WKR
I've had the Meindl Denali for a few years now and they are awesome! My wife took a chance and ordered them as a b-day gift for me and I'm glad she did. I've never really had issues with boot fit that most do. I have never had a pair of boots in any brand be unwearable or hurt my feet. My feet pretty much fit anything as long as the size is right. But these denali's have been the best and most comfortable boots I've ever worn. I've got probably 250-300 miles on them and they have held up great! Still waterproof without any treatment. They are a pretty warm boot for being uninsulated but they are breathable enough that it hasn't caused me a problem in the summer. They are a stiff soled boot and really stiff before they are broken in but they feel very nimble now.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
i was just on the meindl site and saw the dovre extreme GTX??
can't find the meindl denali on the meindl website. are they cabelas meindls (ie china meindl)?
i'm liking the look of the kenetrek mountain extreme non insulated more and more.

thanks for the input everyone

Lawnboi

WKR
can't find the meindl denali on the meindl website. are they cabelas meindls (ie china meindl)?
i'm liking the look of the kenetrek mountain extreme non insulated more and more.

The denali is made for cabelas yes, I don't think its Chinese made though.

I know my meindl Alaska's (which are made in Germany) are made for cabelas.

Gman

WKR

Meindl is distributed exclusively in the US by Cabelas and the models available are specific to Cabelas. If you're interested in the regular Meindl line - and some say they are built better than the Cabelas line - you have to order from someplace like Canada.

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I would also take a look at the Schnees granite or beartooth. They have an e-vent membrane that should help them breathe better than a gore tex boot.

I'm a big fan of Hanwags from Lanthop and sons. I have the Mountain lite hikers and Alaskans and they are awesome boots!!

Shrek

WKR
+1 for the Hanwag boots . I got a deal on some Hanwag yukons ( Alaskans without goretex ) that I love so much I bought a second pair to put away.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a few pairs of the Cabelas Meindl Alaskan Hunters (made in Germany). Great boot for my narrow feet. The 200g insulation is not too warm for early season archery elk here in Colorado IMHO. Very stiff boot as others have said. They work well for side hilling, etc. 10 inches tall. I use them with a green super feet insole. I have consistently heard good things about the the Lathrop and sons as well. I looked at some Kenetreks but did not like the sole tread.

bobhunts

WKR
I have the Kennetreks and they are a well built boot. Just not for my feet! The Lowa Tibets are! Everyones feet are different. I still keep wearing the Kennetreks hoping the heel rub will go away as the boot loosens up and it does get better as I wear them. The Lowa boots I did not have the same problem with. I hope you find the one that fits your feet! Bob.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Lowa renagadeII,s and I am very impressed. I put around 5miles on them and then took them to Colorado and added 15 more and never had even a hot spot. Since then I've used them during deer season here in Mo and have been training with them and still like new waded many creeks and the goretex has held up fine. (Have heard of of the liner separating from the boot but mine are still going strong) only complaint is that the quick lace is not quick at all the hook is very tight and you can't just get close you have to line the lace up with them! Usually takes me a couple tries to get them laced up. I still haven't changed the crappy insoles that they came with. I'm not saying that Lowa is the best but for the price they are a great boot for the $$$$. Depends on what you can afford. I got mine from Shoebuy.com for a really good price.

nflesher

Lil-Rokslider
I am considering Schnee's, and Kenetreks. I have read on here that the Kenetrek's will rub your heels really bad if you have skinny heels. I have a really high arch and prefer to try boots on before buying. Schnee's claims to have a great return policy, so I can order a pair and see how they fit. I have a Cabelas about 1.5 hours away, and a Kenetrek's dealer about 2.5 hours away. I may try the meindl's after reading this thread. The high arch makes me very picky about boots.