Melvinized Colt light rifle Vs. Weatherby Backcountry?

Hey y’all! Give me your thoughts, personal experience or anecdotes. I’m going to be buying a lightweight mountain rifle soon, and these two are at the top of my list. Both used, and from members on the forum. The CLR isn’t yet melvinized- the gentleman is asking $750. The Wby Backcountry is sitting @ $2100.
If I buy the colt, I’ll send it off to be retrofitted by Melvin Forbes/NULA and chambered in .280AI. The WBY is chambered in .257wby.
A third option would be a Tikka T3X likely in .280AI plus a Red Snake bottom metal to squeeze out a bit more OAL.

Whatcha think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That backcountry looks awfully nice with nothing needed to mess with and .257 is definitely on my short list of next calibers to own. The colt is intriguing and .280ai is an awesome versatile caliber. I suppose it depends on how much the work on the colt is going to cost and if it’s worth it to you and what gap needs filled caliber wise for you. I don’t know much about the colt, but I would imagine there’s some collectibility factor to be involved if that matters to you, it doesn’t to me personally. Easy choice for me, I have a .280 I like a lot and I don’t have a .257 or anything like it. I also like the two weatherbys I do have and that one Is even nicer. Good luck with your decision, Now I’m going to go read up on those colts!

OP
T
That backcountry looks awfully nice with nothing needed to mess with and .257 is definitely on my short list of next calibers to own. The colt is intriguing and .280ai is an awesome versatile caliber. I suppose it depends on how much the work on the colt is going to cost and if it’s worth it to you and what gap needs filled caliber wise for you. I don’t know much about the colt, but I would imagine there’s some collectibility factor to be involved if that matters to you, it doesn’t to me personally. Easy choice for me, I have a .280 I like a lot and I don’t have a .257 or anything like it. I also like the two weatherbys I do have and that one Is even nicer. Good luck with your decision, Now I’m going to go read up on those colts!

They’re neat. Long story short, (and if memory serves) Melvin Forbes sold ULA, his first company, to colt in an attempt to put his rifles in more hands. I think the idea was to offer them at a lower price point thanks to colt’s production capacity, and allow Melvin to retire or perhaps move on to something new. Colt went into bankruptcy shortly there after, and never really nailed Melvin’s stock. Melvin, being an upstanding guy, supports the guns since they’re his design, and will restock, and tune them up (new springs, etc) for a very reasonable price. It’s cool stuff that restores some of my faith in humanity.

They’re neat. Long story short, (and if memory serves) Melvin Forbes sold ULA, his first company, to colt in an attempt to put his rifles in more hands. I think the idea was to offer them at a lower price point thanks to colt’s production capacity, and allow Melvin to retire or perhaps move on to something new. Colt went into bankruptcy shortly there after, and never really nailed Melvin’s stock. Melvin, being an upstanding guy, supports the guns since they’re his design, and will restock, and tune them up (new springs, etc) for a very reasonable price. It’s cool stuff that restores some of my faith in humanity.

Just checked out the website, and read up on him and the colts. Dang, I can can see the tough decision now, especially if you don’t already have something close to either caliber to scratch the itch. I do tend to like things outside of the vanilla stuff though, that 280ai colt got a lot more interesting! Dammit, now I want one.

OP
T
It’s not an easy decision at all! I’m leaning toward the colt, though. I’m in the same boat- I love interesting stuff. I might split the difference and have Melvin chamber it in .257 wby… ugh. Decisions, decisions. I’d need it to handle any of my western hunting needs. I’m trying to put together an elk hunt with my dad in the next year or two. We shall see. The clincher would probably be the cost of changing the bolt face- it’s already a magnum bolt.

It’s not an easy decision at all! I’m leaning toward the colt, though. I’m in the same boat- I love interesting stuff. I might split the difference and have Melvin chamber it in .257 wby… ugh. Decisions, decisions. I’d need it to handle any of my western hunting needs. I’m trying to put together an elk hunt with my dad in the next year or two. We shall see. The clincher would probably be the cost of changing the bolt face- it’s already a magnum bolt.

As much as I have been lusting after a .257 lately, I wouldn’t trade my .280 for one. It just has knocked down everything for me and easy on the recoil, it’s an older tikka m695 rmef gun and it’d be an easy choice to choose that as my only rifle if I had to. I want a .257 for longer range ca. blacktail and eventually pronghorn so I wouldn’t be after something necessarily ultralight for that caliber myself. Don’t really need it, but I want it. IMO I’d stick to the .280ai idea if you go with the colt it’d be good for just about everything.

260madman

WKR
As much as I like Weatherby/Howa I’d go Colt and send it off. Melvin won’t live forever and I don’t think anyone has never liked that choice.

Go with the Colt, you'll have a rifle you can hunt everything in north america with and it will come perfectly balanced, plus you can customize your length of pull, barrel twist, length, and chambering. The Colt is basically his model 28 long action magnum. When I had one done last year the turnaround time was 4 months. In my opinion well worth the wait.

OP
T
Thanks y’all! I think I’m gonna go with the colt- it’s on a magnum bolt face, so I might keep it a 7mm mag. .540 vs .470” I’m not sure yet, we’ll see! I’ll be calling Melvin- anyone know if he answers the phone over the weekend?

He might... but I think hes mostly M-F.

7 Mag would be a great choice on the Colt. I went with 7 mag on mine and kept the original colt barrel, I don't think it was ever fired except at the factory. If you rebarrel I'd suggest a faster twist like 7 or 8 to stablize the heavier bullets. Maybe 6.5-7 twist if you go 257 weatherby.

Thanks y’all! I think I’m gonna go with the colt- it’s on a magnum bolt face, so I might keep it a 7mm mag. .540 vs .470” I’m not sure yet, we’ll see! I’ll be calling Melvin- anyone know if he answers the phone over the weekend?

Can’t go wrong with a 7mag