Members opinions of the Winchester Mod. 70?

EastMT

WKR
I’m a huge Remington fan, but after getting one of the new gremlins (back to factory twice, new barrel, new bolt) I bought an Extreme Weather SS. I couldn’t be happier, right now it’s my favorite rifle.

CCH

WKR
To the point about triggers, that applies to the original triggers featured up through the end of New Haven production. The MOA is "better" from a shooting/adjusting standpoint, but the original is more bulletproof and one of the best hunting triggers made IMO. Wish my BACOs had them.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
The push feed m70’s are excellent actions. Sliding extractor, flat bottom, integral lug, simple, open trigger design, three position safety.

The model 70 has always been my favorite rifle, as far back as I can remember, and that’s definitely one of the reasons I like Kimber’s so much. My first M70 was a wood/blued .300wm PF that I bought when I was 17, but eventually sold it about 20 years later because I prefer the CRF. I currently have a .243, .375, and .458, all CRF, but only one is a pre-64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
The model 70 has always been my favorite rifle, as far back as I can remember, and that’s definitely one of the reasons I like Kimber’s so much. My first M70 was a wood/blued .300wm PF that I bought when I was 17, but eventually sold it about 20 years later because I prefer the CRF. I currently have a .243, .375, and .458, all CRF, but only one is a pre-64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the current rifles CRF?

ozyclint

WKR
If you owned 2 , what calibers?
I have 2, one is an XTR in .222rem and the other is a featherweight in .270win.

I much prefer CRF of the featherweight over push feed of the XTR. With CRF you can empty the internal magazine without having to chamber a round and close the bolt to get the extractor engaged on the cartridge.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2, one is an XTR in .222rem and the other is a featherweight in .270win.

I much prefer CRF of the featherweight over push feed of the XTR. With CRF you can empty the internal magazine without having to chamber a round and close the bolt to get the extractor engaged on the cartridge.
I have a PF 270 from the 80s. I used to close the bolt on every round to empty the mag. But at some point i realized that all I need to do is close the bolt enough to pop the round out, then turn the gun over and let the round fall. No need to close the bolt on a round in the chamber, which i never liked doing.

Last edited:

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Good or bad, they are out of stock everywhere…even distributors have zero stock on their classic rifle- the featherweight 270. I’m wondering if Winchester is still making rifles at all?

Good or bad, they are out of stock everywhere…even distributors have zero stock on their classic rifle- the featherweight 270. I’m wondering if Winchester is still making rifles at all?
I have been on the look for awhile, like stated before. I found one today, with the help of another member on here. Dealers that I have spoken to are still waiting on rifles ordered from last year. That goes for a lot of different companies, not just Winchester. The market is pretty much get what you can get and don't cry about it, or be willing to wait till you can find what you want or close to it.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. It was inevitable when Win went to a fully outsourced product line and eliminated their US Factory.

Now, they get in line behind everyone else ordering guns from the generic gun factory.

minengr

FNG
It's my favorite, just wish it was a bit lighter. Down to four : pre-64 in .22 CHeetah, .223 ai, .243 that was my fathers, and a 308.

I've also got two FN/SPR stamped actions from CDNN when the New Haven plant closed. Still trying to figure out what to do with them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m a huge Remington fan, but after getting one of the new gremlins (back to factory twice, new barrel, new bolt) I bought an Extreme Weather SS. I couldn’t be happier, right now it’s my favorite rifle.

I really like my extreme weather m70s too, they aren’t the lightest but they are great shooters, mine aren’t picky about Ammo and have been really accurate.

Zappaman

WKR
Why the push feed over the CRF, for those that that like them better?

I am on the search for an All Weather SS in 30-06. I have only been able to find two Featherweights that are blued/wood in Central WI. Frustration in these times.
The CRF is oblivious to gravity or angle of the chamber when fed-- it holds the round "controlling" it through the entire bolt cycle. Long ago... some gig game hunters in Africa had rounds "jam" or fall out during the bolt cycle (while they were moving fast, with the gun bouncing around)-- and the rounds didn't make it into the chamber. The elephant ran them over ;) So them made CRF so that doesn't happen.

I did a full ninja roll with my CRF M98 avoiding a crazed chipmunk (gotta do what you gotta do). Cycled the bolt for kicks ejecting a perfectly good round on the ground and chambering a new one while upside down, came to a full steady seated rest, gun in one hand, while deploying my underwood shooting sticks with the other. Made a perfect shot on an elk that had no idea WTF was going on as that cow looked at me and marveled (I heard her say that right before the shot) she was no match for my form in the woods and CRF.

No, not really...

But I do like CRF for all the reasons that have been shared.

Last edited:
The CRF is oblivious to gravity or angle of the chamber when fed-- it holds the round "controlling" it through the entire bolt cycle. Long ago... some gig game hunters in Africa had rounds "jam" or fall out during the bolt cycle (while they were moving fast, with the gun bouncing around)-- and the rounds didn't make it into the chamber. The elephant ran them over ;) So them made CRF so that doesn't happen.
I was wondering more why some liked liked the push feed over the CRF. I can understand that they may be little lighter and easier to work with for trueing. Me personally I will take the weight penalty to know that jamming and feeding issues are minimized. Just with "buck fever" alone I know of people having issues chambering a new round, let alone if you were hunting DG or Africa.