Meniscus Surgery- Worth it?

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
When I was 18 I was playing highschool softball and after playing for 8 years already, I had to have my knees looked at my senior year. I was told the meniscus in my knees was beginning to thin and they could see a small tear beginning to form in my right knee. At age 18 hearing i would have to have both knees worked on if i wanted to play college ball kinda scared me so i opted out in hopes of preserving what meniscus i had left. Well, I never thought I'd be doing as much physical activities after softball but I moved away from home and am now starting to get into western hunting a bit which as most of us know means lots of up hill/down hill hiking and uneven terrain with weight on our backs. Now 24 years old and starting to hurt a bit more than i used to i'm starting to think maybe its time to have my knees looked at and have at least my right knee worked on because descending off the mountain especially with weight is almost too much to bare anymore unless i go snail pace on the trail which is frustrating for me.

I'm just curious if anybody on here has had the surgery and saw the difference that makes the surgery worth it in the first place? Or if i should just take some good anti-inflammatory meds with me, knee brace/wrap, and a DBAP attitude + doing some PT at home during the off season to strengthen my hips, knees, and ankles. Was recovery as easy and quick as they make it sound? Did you try something different that worked instead of going the surgery route? Either way, I'm gonna hunt and keep on keepin on regardless. Probably gonna end up with some hellactious arthritis in my knees and end up needing a total knee replacement by my 40's but hell at this point just add it to the list! Thanks in advance for any info!

In addition to other knee surgeries, thanks to football, I've had arthroscopic surgery for meniscus tears on both knees. Really wasn't a big deal, especially when you're in your 20's and bounce back quickly. I was walking the next day on the left knee and after a week on the right one (not sure why it was different for each knee). It's absolutely worth it to be pain free and not having your knee swell to the size of a softball after hiking a few hours.

I had a couple of scopes to remove meniscus from my knee when I was 18, and basically have none left in my left knee. If you would have told me that 15 years later I would be walking up and down mountains with weight and doing the stuff I'm doing now, I'm not sure I would have believed it. So, I don't think you should fear the surgery.

The best advice I can give would be to listen to your body, and consider supplements like glucosamine. It's done wonders for me. It seems like when my knee acts up, a couple days of taking it a little easier and taking some glucosamine, it pretty much makes it go away and my knees feel much better. I might also suggest taking a look at some of the scientific research out there on that product. Essentially, the bottom line is that the generic stuff works as good or better than the fancy stuff with all the additives.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had both knees done after putting up with pain & stiffness. Don’t wait, get them cleaned up. One piece of advice I would give you is take the necessary time off work to heal & do physical therapy if available to you.

Elk97

WKR
My son has had both knees done (ski injuries). Both surgeries failed (don't use tissue from cadaver) but after having them done again and not skiing for a couple of years he's able to do some skiing and hunting. Best advice from an orthopedic surgeon was "don't have surgery unless you can't live without it".

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a PT working with mostly sports medicine. A lot of the newer surgeons are going away from doing menisectomy's. There was a huge study done within the last couple years that showed the difference at 3-6-12 month post op was the exact same between the sham group (opened the knee up arthroscopically but didn't actually do anything) and intervention group. If you have a complicated tear such as a bucket-handle and it's locking up on you that's a different story. But for a chronic meniscus tear I would caution against it. See a quality PT that's near you and they should be able to set you up. Wearing a brace is likely more mental than anything, they would do very little for function, I only give them out occasionally as an arthritis unloader brace, MCL sprain, or custom ACL at late stage rehab. If you see a PT and they grab the ultrasound machine or really do any type of manual therapy at all get a new PT (You can't change an internal structures with your hands no matter how hard they sell you on it). There really should be no hands on treatment for a meniscus, should be all exercise based (really any condition, but especially something like that).

If you do decide to go with surgery, rehab's pretty simple. I see people 2-3 times and cut them loose usually. Problem with surgery is you'll be changing the anatomy of your knee post-op and you'll accelerate that arthritis clock for total knee surgery. You'd be amazed how many people have meniscus tears that have no knee pain. Any other questions feel free to PM.

JDB9818

WKR
I’ve had 5 knee surgeries for meniscus tears (I know but bad luck) the last one about 5 years ago. None of my injuries got better with PT and I’m happy with my outcomes. All of mine were to the point where I couldn’t exercise like I wanted, the surgeries fixed that.

They have you up and exercising on the same day and rehab is pretty short. I have been back running within about 5-6 weeks after the last couple of surgeries. I’m 54 now and don’t feel that hindered in any way and I’m able to hunt and carry weight every fall.

I know that there are people who will tell you avoid surgery at all cost but I’ve been satisfied with my results. Having said that I obviously don’t have much cushion in my knees and I’m sure I’m destined for a couple new ones in the future.

Good luck for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You get one set of wheels so treat them kindly....only you can decide when it is time for some work and if the pain and or limitations are such it is affecting what you enjoy get the work done. Get two opinions and choose wisely on your surgeon. Down time on a scope job will be minimal don’t rush back. Just a had a cleanup last week on my 56.9 yr old knee with lots of work and have had issues due to a poor choice of docs 30yrs ago when things were much different. Thankfully my current ortho and long time friend is around when needed. Eventually he will replace it until then I manage as needed. Today’s options for knee work Are so much better Than decades ago 72C936D0-2745-43B6-A094-D00B35CAC287.jpeg35EFA703-028D-4C11-B5F2-0EB450C2AEE2.jpeg.good luck 👍

huntdoc

FNG
I think the advice to avoid surgery unless you absolutely have to do it is best, but that has a lot to do with your age and each specific injury. There are good rehab programs out there that often can help you avoid surgery. Living in remote area makes it tough, but some good stuff out there online and even trainers can work with you online. Every knee is different, and everyone's injuries are different. You are very young, so see what you can do to hang on to what you have!

elkguide

WKR
Been there - done that. Well half way.
After years of sports, skiing, milking cows and a couple of "ladder rides" from high places, I succumbed and had one of my knees arthroscopically fixed. Was supposed to do the other one shortly after but work got in the way, thankfully. Now 20 years later, I work with a PT occasionally and mostly rely on stretching and regular exercise. My "fixed, good" knee is now my weak, painful knee. I am a firm believer in Physical Therapists, Yoga, exercise, eating well and getting out there.
Good luck.

rob86jeep

WKR
I can't speak specifically to a meniscus tear, but right now you have a known issue. The second you have surgery, it turns into an unknown. Meaning, you could wake up after the surgery and everything went perfectly and recovery is ahead of schedule. Or, you could have nothing but problems afterwards (either due to the surgeon or just how your body responds to it).

I would suggest what grossklw said and get into a good PT program before you determine if surgery is necessary.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
Get it cleaned out, i had been dealing with a small tear for a few years and then it tore really bad 1 day when i fell in the woods. At least go for a visit to see what the Dr. says and find a reputable 1 or get a couple opinions. Its worth it to get it fixed now, I'm back to doing what i was presurgery.

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
I tore mine 5 years ago. Doc said he wouldn’t do the surgery till I couldnt stand the pain. I’ve stayed in good shape, learned what makes it hurt and avoid those movements. So far so good. I’ve heard from too many people that the surgery leads to scar tissue and more problems an pain down the road. No surgery for me till I can’t hike or hunt

fmyth

WKR
I'm a PT working with mostly sports medicine. A lot of the newer surgeons are going away from doing menisectomy's. There was a huge study done within the last couple years that showed the difference at 3-6-12 month post op was the exact same between the sham group (opened the knee up arthroscopically but didn't actually do anything) and intervention group. If you have a complicated tear such as a bucket-handle and it's locking up on you that's a different story. But for a chronic meniscus tear I would caution against it. See a quality PT that's near you and they should be able to set you up. Wearing a brace is likely more mental than anything, they would do very little for function, I only give them out occasionally as an arthritis unloader brace, MCL sprain, or custom ACL at late stage rehab. If you see a PT and they grab the ultrasound machine or really do any type of manual therapy at all get a new PT (You can't change an internal structures with your hands no matter how hard they sell you on it). There really should be no hands on treatment for a meniscus, should be all exercise based (really any condition, but especially something like that).

If you do decide to go with surgery, rehab's pretty simple. I see people 2-3 times and cut them loose usually. Problem with surgery is you'll be changing the anatomy of your knee post-op and you'll accelerate that arthritis clock for total knee surgery. You'd be amazed how many people have meniscus tears that have no knee pain. Any other questions feel free to PM.

A bucket handle tear is no joke. I was having some knee pain and swelling but put off seeing a Dr. Eventually my knee locked at a 45deg angle. I had to crawl to my truck and drive myself to the emergency room. The ER Doc had 2 nurses help her physically force my knee straight and put me in a brace. I passed out from the pain. After my surgery the ortho explained to me that the ER Doc likely caused as much or more damage than the initial injury. I still have problems with that knee and was supposed to have another surgery in March. Now I am too close to archery season to risk surgery.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like you have hit the point where it is significantly affecting your quality of life. If you are descending hills at a snails pace then it's likely that it also affecting your ability to exercise in other ways which is not a good scenario for your overall health. It can't hurt to go see the best orthopedist (or 2) you can find and also a physical therapist. Start with the least invasive nonsurgical option and see it that helps significantly. If surgery ends up being the best option then so be it. You will likely need to have an MRI to asses the meniscus and other internal cartilage layers, tendons, ligaments and knee structures. Maintaining the ability to be active, fit and healthy is critical to our healthiness. It's much easier to replace a knee than it is to replace a heart!!

I would add also that relying on anti-inflammatory meds is often not healthy either. NSAIDS (like ibuprofen and naproxen) are amazingly effective at reducing pain from inflammation but can cause some nasty side effects particularly with high doses and/or long term use.

Last edited:

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
A bucket handle tear is no joke. I was having some knee pain and swelling but put off seeing a Dr. Eventually my knee locked at a 45deg angle. I had to crawl to my truck and drive myself to the emergency room. The ER Doc had 2 nurses help her physically force my knee straight and put me in a brace. I passed out from the pain. After my surgery the ortho explained to me that the ER Doc likely caused as much or more damage than the initial injury. I still have problems with that knee and was supposed to have another surgery in March. Now I am too close to archery season to risk surgery.

Most orthos when you get a true lock because of a complex tear like that would rather knock you out and do an immediate surgery to “un-flap” it. He’s right in the ED doc likely caused a worse injury forcing it after the tear had already happened. Complex tears you need surgery- I wouldn’t advocate conservatively in that case at all. Getting a knee replaced goes well a majority of the time, but don’t let anyone tell you there isn’t risks. Foot drop, infection, blood clots; they all can and do happen. Knee replacements are a successful surgery but I always tell people avoid it until the bitter end. My dads got one of his done this week and the other is scheduled for August, when it’s time. It’s time.

srfdmatty

Lil-Rokslider
Tore my meniscus about 5 years ago while working at a fire. I'm a firefighter by trade. It ended up being a bucket handle tear. I couldn't kneel or walk down hill without pain. Tried to medicate it and rehab it but nothing worked.
Finally saw a knee Ortho expert. He just happened to be a back country hunter as well. He said surgery was the only way to relieve the pain but I would be good to go with my lifestyle moving forward after surgery. The MRI confirmed the tear. He said there is a possibility of arthritis later in life.
I had the surgery to cut out the tear. Walked out of the surgery center after waking up from the anesthesia. 4 months of dedicated rehab and my knee feels great. No issues, no pain and no limitations.
Still working as a FF. Hunted muleys the last 2 years 3-4 miles packed in and still no issues with the knee.
Thanks to a great surgeon. If you elect to have surgery pick a good surgeon and be dedicated to the rehab. You should be good to go as a young guy in 3 months or so. I'm 43 so you should recover much quicker.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Backyard

WKR
Having had a few done on my left knee, and not having a whole lot of luck. Ended up with some osteo necrosis from the lack of blood flow during surgery on the first one, that started the down hill slide. That hurts more than a tear let me tell you. I am now in my 5th month of recovery from a total knee replacement because of all the quick fix chit I thought I was doing. The older you are the more you should look at pt as a solution. Listen to grossklw, he has the best advice I've read so far. Find a good PT and get to work.
I wish you good luck bud.

i had a what was suspected as a small meniscus tear from surfing maybe 5 years ago. didnt get better with PT and inhibited a lot of my favorite activities like surfing hunting and hiking. when they scoped it they found a tear and cut it out. its been better since. occasional it will get agitated with eggbeater type kicks longboarding or going downhill with heavy packouts but usually ice and stretch out all the muscles in my legs and the pain subsides. i suspect theres sill a slight tear that they didnt get all the way out and thats what still bugs me.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I am in the same boat. I tore mine last year on a pack out in Alaska. It sucked bad!! My doctor told me that he could operate, but advised me that we would not if it were him. I have just taken it easy over the last 6 months and the pain has gone away. I am nervous about this year's hunting season. I would HATE for it to give out when I am in the back country. If I have any pain at all this year, I will likely get it operated on.