Menu review- Looking for breakfast ideas, besides oatmeal?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been testing soylent for the last 3 weeks to replace 1000 calories a day (approx. 1/2 of my caloric intake) mainly for eating healthier foods and I am testing it to see if I can add it into hunting/camping diet. It gives all the nutrients that you need for a whole day (on a 2000 calorie level) and could theoretically replace all of my food. I always seem to be drawn to tasty, fatty and generally unhealthy foods. It tastes very mildly sweet and has a light vanilla flavor. I haven't tried adding flavors to it yet as I like the taste on its own. You can look at it at soylent.me
If you like peanut butter, PB2 is a pretty good powder that adds flavors to things or in place of peanut butter (if you hydrate it) without the weight and fat. I eat it with pilot bread, which you may have a hard time finding outside of Alaska and Washington State.
That soylent is interesting stuff. How is it working out for you? What's the weight to calories? Do you think it will translate well to backpack hunting?

inupiat1

FNG
Live2hunt - A full day's bag weighs 1lb, it is 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein by total calories. It is just a powder, so it would work for pack hunting, however the fish oil additive might be difficult to measure out for single portions. I always mix a 2 liter container which i would worry about preserving, so I would use the measuring cup they give.

Since i started it, i have lost 6 lbs because i don't eat all this fatty food or sugary snacks at work like i used to. The other thing that i have noticed with it is that it is not gritty if left longer in the fridge, but it would be doable for me in the field. It is rated to keep for one year whoch isn't long. I primarily consume 1 liter for breakfast and lunch and eat 1-1/2 meals for the rest of the day. It keeps me pretty satiated. I am currently 6 feet tall and 207 lbs and i usually eat about 2500 cals a day.