Sold Meopro Air 8x42

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Selling a like new pair of Meopta Meopro Air 8x42 binoculars. I just received these from the back order about a month ago or so and have only used them to test them out. They are very nice binoculars, but the eyecups don’t work for me so I have an issue with the eye relief.

I have pictures posted in the meopro air thread, but can post new ones here if interested.

I paid $980 for these just a short time ago, so I would like $775 for them.

Attachments

• 4D078972-5E3A-47F5-836E-C0F33254F70D.jpeg
    4D078972-5E3A-47F5-836E-C0F33254F70D.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 85B05920-FEF0-45FC-8F92-652BD7CD00C0.jpeg
    85B05920-FEF0-45FC-8F92-652BD7CD00C0.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 83
  • A86F2D67-6690-4E74-B813-B8DE002875AD.jpeg
    A86F2D67-6690-4E74-B813-B8DE002875AD.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 79
  • C6D11765-F97D-401F-8A73-17C67A99EF9D.jpeg
    C6D11765-F97D-401F-8A73-17C67A99EF9D.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
OP
J

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Price reduced to $700, buyer pays PayPal fees.

OP
J

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
In my opinion, I cannot tell a difference optically. I have the meostars (Cabela’s euro) in 10x42 And 8x32.

I am a big meopta fan, but the eye cups on the Air’s are different and they don’t work well for me. I do not have the same eye relief issue with the meostars.

Hopefully someone else could weigh in so you don’t just have my word on it 😀, but the build quality and view on the new Meopro Airs is very nice.

Uplandmt

WKR
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That’s a great deal. I’d snatch them up if 10x42. They’ve been getting great reviews from the birders who are ultra picky. They say they have the same optics as the Meostars which are supposed to be replaced by a more expensive model next year.

Uplandmt

WKR
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just saw this posted on Birdforum.net as a reply to me posting link to this post their. Birders favor 8x42s for wider fov and brightness than 10x42 so thought someone there might be interested.
van den Berg
April 12, 2021 10:11 PM
Registration date: 14 years ago
Contributions: 1,221
In the past two weeks I've sold three binoculars and bought a new pair of binoculars.
The new binoculars are Meopta Meopro Air 8x42. Official: Meopta Meopro Air HDED + 8x42.
Waterproof 8x42 binoculars were “missing” in my small collection. I already have two Swift Audubons 8.5x44 but they are not waterproof and I won't take them with me in bad weather.

The Meopta Meopro Air 8x42; Where do I begin?

Appearance and workmanship:
The Air looks like a mixture of the first Swarovski EL 42 (model from 1999) and the Swarovski Swarovision 42.
The Air has smooth black parts on the inside of the binoculars, like the first EL 42, but the tubes are without curvature, as with the Swarovision.
Because of the double bridge and the colors green / black, one is also strongly reminded of Swarovski.
I think the workmanship is very good. With the Meopro Air, Meopta doesn't have to hide behind Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss. Everything is really right there. The materials look very good and feel very good. Everything fits perfectly into one another.
The kink bridge has good resistance. I really like the eyepiece sleeves. They are made of metal and covered with rubber on the top. You can unscrew the eyepiece sleeves if cleaning is necessary. The eyepiece sleeves have four stages: on, off and two intermediate stages. If you unscrew an eyepiece sleeve, you can see three small copper-colored balls on the inside, which - I assume - are responsible for locking the steps. It works very well and you “feel the quality”.
The focus: the focus knob turns counterclockwise from near to far. The rotary knob for the diopter adjustment is located on the top of the focusing knob. As you turn this knob, you hear and feel a gentle “click” at every small intermediate step. The rotary knob for the diopter is not locked.
The focus turns on my copy quite stiffly, but smoothly and with the same resistance in both directions.
Sometimes I have the impression that there is a little play in the focus. But it is not always present and because the focus is rather stiff, any game that may be present is more or less hidden or attenuated. Sometimes I feel a little play, often not.
The focus translates pretty slowly. I can't yet describe how exactly. The overstroke towards infinity is relatively large. I can't tell how big, but after infinity you still have quite a bit of rotation left. I watch without glasses.

The optics:
Meopta calls a field of view of 140m / 1000m and I find the field of view to be pleasantly large.
The image sharpness / resolution is excellent. And ... the picture is really sharp to the edge. The contrast rendition is very good. The color rendering too. Chromatic aberration is almost completely absent in the center of the image. There is some chromatic aberration at the edge of the image, but the overall chromatic aberration suppression is excellent.
I can't write anything consistent about the backlight behavior.
The Meopro Air 8x42 is slightly pillow-shaped. I see very little globe effect; too little to bother me.
Although Meopta states a daylight transmission of (only) 83%, I find the picture very bright.
Overall, I find the picture in the Meopta Air 8x42 very good and very pleasant. Meostar level.

Meopta calls an eye-length distance of 22mm. The eye-to-eye distance must actually be relatively large, because I place the binoculars with the eyepiece sleeves completely twisted out quite high on my eyebrows. If I push the binoculars a little deeper (like other binoculars I have) into my eye sockets, I see shadowing.
I got used to putting the Air a little different to my eyes very quickly. Then everything is fine with me.

Accessories:
The bag is the same Cordura bag that Meopta supplies with the Meostar binoculars. Great bag, but the binoculars won't fit comfortably in the bag with the eyepiece sleeves turned out and protective caps on.
The shoulder strap: Meopta can do that much better. The shoulder strap of the Meostar 10x42 HD is very well padded and wide; the shoulder strap of the Air is thin, relatively narrow and unpadded.
I didn't connect the shoulder strap to the Air at all and attached a wide Op-Tech shoulder strap from the start.
Because with 900 g. including eyepiece and lens protection, the Meopro Air 8x42 is definitely not a lightweight.
I think the eyepiece protection is great. Fits well and is easy to put on and off.
The protective lens caps are magnetically connected to the binoculars on the underside of the binocular tubes. Because I don't trust this solution and suspected that I would quickly lose the protective lens caps, I helped with two thin strips of bicycle tube. (Photo)
When Hans will read my post, he will probably already say: “The magnetic connection; A solution to a non-existent problem. " I agree.

Conclusion: I think the Meopta Meopro Air 8x42 are very good and very beautiful binoculars. The processing is at the top level. Overall, the picture is very beautiful. Meostar HD level, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.