Meopta/Cabelas Meostar/Euro HD - Best buy in used bins?

Newtosavage

Well Known Rokslider
I recently picked up a used pair of Euro HD 10x42's and I forgot just how good they are. At under $600 and sometimes under $500, they are an absolute steal on the used market. I owned a pair of the non-HD Meostars, and the latest HD versions are noticeably better. Side by side with my Conquest HD's, I would say they are optically equal. And yes, they do truly give Swaro SLC's a run for their money. Only advantage I can see to the Swaros are a little lighter and slimmer, and a better resale value.

These will be my truck bins, and most often used on a tripod or window mount, so the weight was not a concern for me. But boy, optically they are just superb.

jzeblaz

Well Known Rokslider
I am running the Cabela's branded Meopta 10x42, bought prior to the HD model. They were $800 when I got them and they get it done. They are touch crunchy at first and last light, but for the vast majority of the day, bright and clear. I do want to upgrade them, but until then, I'm hanging onto them...and will pass them on to my wife when I do.

OP
Newtosavage

Newtosavage

Well Known Rokslider
I am running the Cabela's branded Meopta 10x42, bought prior to the HD model. They were $800 when I got them and they get it done. They are touch crunchy at first and last light, but for the vast majority of the day, bright and clear. I do want to upgrade them, but until then, I'm hanging onto them...and will pass them on to my wife when I do.
Get the HD's if you have the chance. They don't have that yellowish tint.

kipper09

Well Known Rokslider
I have a pair of the meostar hds. I also have a set of slc swaros. I honestly think the meostars are damn close to them. I use the meoptas more, they are older and been used quite a bit and I just pick them up because optically they are so close I can’t tell much difference. Not saying they are better than the Swarovski. But for a normal guy hunting they are close enough if I was buying I wouldn’t hesitate at all to take the meoptas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntsman22

Well Known Rokslider
I use the 10x and 15x cabelas....

IMG_6733.JPG

IMG_3315_zpsguclpzko.jpg

I actually like the cabelas branded ones better than the meoptas. The armor and the knurled metal focus/diopter knobs, are better(to me) than the fugly rubber coated knobs on the meostars....
IMG_6681.JPG

nphunter

Well Known Rokslider
I love my 15x Meostars!! Got back from grabbing my camera last week and found my buddy sitting behind my Meoptas instead of his new 12x42 NL Pures!! We were glassing a bull at 2 miles and at that range the Meopta really shined!

OP
Newtosavage

Newtosavage

Well Known Rokslider
Huntsman22, I guess I never noticed the focus wheel on the Meopta vs. Cabelas. Would have thought they were the same but I'm glad I have the Cabelas version! Outstanding focuser. I can say without hesitation the focuser on my Cabelas Euro HD is better than the Swaro SLC focuser. I never cared for it.

OP
Newtosavage

Newtosavage

Well Known Rokslider
Added bonus I discovered yesterday is that my Outdoorsman phone adapter fits the eyepiece on my Euro HD's even better than it fits my scope or my Conquest HD's. I was hoping for that and it's perfect!

BigCountry49

Well Known Rokslider
Meostar/cabelas binocs are indeed awesome. Extremely good value. Meopta service is pretty dang good too. The only thing I can fault them for is they are on the heavy side, maybe be a litttle overbuilt?