Meopta Meopro/Nightforce TS 80 compared to Vortex Razor spotting scope

pc3

WKR
I have the Meopta S1, same as the TS80. There was a an independant review that ranked all the high end spotters I saw a while back, prior to the Swaro 115mm being released. Anyway in that review the Meopta S1 came in second to the Swaro 95mm model. The only category it lost out in was the "light entry" etc. and then your comparing 82mm Meopta with the 95mm Swaro.

I have the 20-70mm eye piece and while I have not looked through the swaro I am not wanting one. Point being its great, and in answering your question I'd take that over the Vortex you have mentioned.

WRM

WKR
I don't need glass that big, but I have used the Meopta. Awesome. Don't know why the average person needs to pay more, assuming you need that much glass in the first place.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I have the Meopta S1, same as the TS80. There was a an independant review that ranked all the high end spotters I saw a while back, prior to the Swaro 115mm being released. Anyway in that review the Meopta S1 came in second to the Swaro 95mm model. The only category it lost out in was the "light entry" etc. and then your comparing 82mm Meopta with the 95mm Swaro.

I have the 20-70mm eye piece and while I have not looked through the swaro I am not wanting one. Point being its great, and in answering your question I'd take that over the Vortex you have mentioned.
I thought the 82mm Meopta was the the Nightforce TS 82? Either way I’ve heard that Meopta S1 is amazing about as good as you can get. Sounds like you’ve got a lifelong spotter won’t need to upgrade. I can’t swing the S1 just yet but it looks nice!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I don't need glass that big, but I have used the Meopta. Awesome. Don't know why the average person needs to pay more, assuming you need that much glass in the first place.
Makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. Have you compared the 80 and 82mm Meopta by chance?

OP
Kyle Wheeler
The Meopta is better in every metric, and noticeably so.
Thank you! The only downside I can think of is field of view and no reticle eye piece option if that is desired. Perhaps warranty as well. The Meopta sure does look impressive wanting to test one out.

You commented on my thread about the Gen1 razor last week. At one point I tried to get this same question answered that you have now because of the Red Hawk demo Ts-80s.

I actually went ahead and bought the razor on Tuesday. I used it this evening at the range. If nothing else it’s night and day better than my viper.
For $700 I’m supper happy and impressed.
Center clarity is outstanding, better than I expected even out to 60x. I really like the fine focus it makes a big difference. The edge is poor and I didn’t get to test at low light.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
You commented on my thread about the Gen1 razor last week. At one point I tried to get this same question answered that you have now because of the Red Hawk demo Ts-80s.

I actually went ahead and bought the razor on Tuesday. I used it this evening at the range. If nothing else it’s night and day better than my viper.
For $700 I’m supper happy and impressed.
Center clarity is outstanding, better than I expected even out to 60x. I really like the fine focus it makes a big difference. The edge is poor and I didn’t get to test at low light.
I’m glad you are liking the razor! $700 is a good price no doubt. I’m leaning towards it as it has reticle options (I’ve heard Burris signature reticles work) and the warranty. The TS 80 looks sharp but has a smaller field of view. I would assume the TS 80 has the better glass and is very durable.

I’m glad you are liking the razor! $700 is a good price no doubt. I’m leaning towards it as it has reticle options (I’ve heard Burris signature reticles work) and the warranty. The TS 80 looks sharp but has a smaller field of view. I would assume the TS 80 has the better glass and is very durable.
I agree across the board. I do think you’ll be happy at the price point and I can’t speak for the edge clarity on the TS80 but it’s very possible that the FOV difference is negated by the loss of clarity at the edge of the Razor. Doesn’t matter if it has a wider FOV if you can’t use it all lol

for my purposes of using it to confirm rather than glass I think I’ll be happy. Center is surprisingly crisp

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I agree across the board. I do think you’ll be happy at the price point and I can’t speak for the edge clarity on the TS80 but it’s very possible that the FOV difference is negated by the loss of clarity at the edge of the Razor. Doesn’t matter if it has a wider FOV if you can’t use it all lol

for my purposes of using it to confirm rather than glass I think I’ll be happy. Center is surprisingly crisp
For sure! The Burris wide angle 30X reticle would be interesting to try. I’m sure they pop up cheap on eBay from time to time. Glad you found one you enjoy!

I thought the 82mm Meopta was the the Nightforce TS 82? Either way I’ve heard that Meopta S1 is amazing about as good as you can get. Sounds like you’ve got a lifelong spotter won’t need to upgrade. I can’t swing the S1 just yet but it looks nice!
Meopta is a huge manufacturer of sport optics, lenses, etc. One of the few that produces their own glass in house. They have long been an OEM manufacturer and their products have been badged under many names - some of the old high-quality Cabela’s Instinct stuff, Nightforce, etc. - and I’m certain some of the major brands as well.

Under their own badge they sell great stuff. The 82mm is the MeoStar S2 - I have one and it is phenomenal. When looking compared it to the SW ATS and Kowa 883. The SW and Kowa may have been just a smidge sharper over all, but it was extremely close and the Meopta was about 60-65% of the price.

WRM

WKR
I don't know about currently, but Meopta had produced glass for Zeiss under contract.

If you were willing to pay a lot more for that "smidge" then go for the other brands.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Meopta is a huge manufacturer of sport optics, lenses, etc. One of the few that produces their own glass in house. They have long been an OEM manufacturer and their products have been badged under many names - some of the old high-quality Cabela’s Instinct stuff, Nightforce, etc. - and I’m certain some of the major brands as well.

Under their own badge they sell great stuff. The 82mm is the MeoStar S2 - I have one and it is phenomenal. When looking compared it to the SW ATS and Kowa 883. The SW and Kowa may have been just a smidge sharper over all, but it was extremely close and the Meopta was about 60-65% of the price.
The 82 mm seems steps ahead. Just haven’t seen much in the Meopro. There was an outdoor life article ranking spotters and the Meopro was close to the top but the Nightforce was close to the bottom so I’m confused as I thought they were the same spotter. Either way it’s good to know Meopta makes a lot of glass for others. I’ve never owned Meopta but am interested in them now for sure. Thanks for the help!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was under the impression that the meopta 82 was more or less “alpha” glass while the other smaller sporter they made was just so so.

Also somebody mentioned that meopta made stuff for Zeiss, I have a few of the older zeiss conquest 3-9x40 scopes and they are identical to the meopta meopro 3-9x40 scopes that I have.