Meopta Mostar B1.1 HD still a solid option for $1000 glass?

Trees91

WKR
Looking for a set of 8x binos for around or under $1000. Can still find some B1.1s in stock even though they have been discontinued. Question is, are they still a good option? I seem to be caught up on fov at the moment and the meopta holds its own with a 411ft fov...pretty wide assuming the image is sharp to the edge. I think only the hg beats it fov wise.

I've been looking at-
Maven b1 and b2(9x)
Nikon monarch hg
Zeiss conquest hd
Leica trinovid hd

Let me know what you guys think or if anyone has experience with some of these binos.

AGPank

WKR
There are tons of threads on this topic. You should look and see what you like.

Meopta is solid.

Leica is there.

The Nikon edged out the Meopta in one review here. Find what fits your performance and budget and you’ll be happy. Really good options in this price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I have read the meostar vs hg thread. I'd be happy with either. Just seems odd to spendmoney on a Nikon...even though they're a large and popular optics company.

The biggest problem for me here is the opportunity to look through binos. The one shop that carries optics only has Swarovski, vortex and a few leupold. The closest scheels or cabelas is hours away and last time I was there they only had 10x trinovid and conquest. I've never seen a hg or meostar in person.

I'm not a stranger to maven, I've looked through a few but never a B2. Could always do the demo program I guess...

I figured I'd come here and see if anyone had first hand experience with all or some of these options.

I'm just really wanting a quality 8x to use in some situations where my 12x50 el are a bit over kill. I just don't want to be disappointed with the optical quality of whatever I choose...

AGPank

WKR
I really like the build quality of Meopta. I think they control CA as good as anything. I had the pre-HD version of Leicas and they are a little brighter, but weren’t as good as CA control. I assume the HD version is better.

The 8x32 HD version of Meopta May be something to compliment your 12x50 EL.

Hoodie

WKR
The Meostar is fantastic at its price point. Optically it is as good or better than anything in the $1k range.
They´re just heavy and blocky.

The Monarch HG is slightly brighter, better FOV, and much smaller and lighter. The only thing the Meostar really beats it on is chromatic abberation.

The Maven B2 is also great optically. Also heavy but I personally prefer the ergos over the Meostar.

If you want lightweight and a big FOV the Nikon is hard to beat.

Last edited:
OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Does anyone know if the meostar b1.1 has a locking diopter? I seem to see yes and no when I search.

I have read the meostar vs hg thread. I'd be happy with either. Just seems odd to spendmoney on a Nikon...even though they're a large and popular optics company.

The biggest problem for me here is the opportunity to look through binos. The one shop that carries optics only has Swarovski, vortex and a few leupold. The closest scheels or cabelas is hours away and last time I was there they only had 10x trinovid and conquest. I've never seen a hg or meostar in person.

I'm not a stranger to maven, I've looked through a few but never a B2. Could always do the demo program I guess...

I figured I'd come here and see if anyone had first hand experience with all or some of these options.

I'm just really wanting a quality 8x to use in some situations where my 12x50 el are a bit over kill. I just don't want to be disappointed with the optical quality of whatever I choose...
I run 8x32 els and 12x50 els.
The 8x32 els not only compliment the 12's well they see about 90% of my field use. They are my primary chest rig carry glass.
If I'm not packing a tripod the 12's stay in the truck.

I tried a set of meostar 10x 42 hds to compare to swaro 10x 42 els I owned at the time.
The meostars are fantastic glass. I no longer own either but most of my hunting buddies own them now.
I got them to ditch their leupold and nikon entry level glass to get the meostars. Almost every set they own I picked up on here for between $650 - $750.
Great value on fantastic glass.

Tullis94

WKR
I am a big meopta fan. I have a pair of 15x and 10x. Very happy with both and have no intention of changing. I will say though that they are quite heavy. I don't mind but it is a deal breaker for some people.

Antares

WKR
I hope you enjoy them. I got a pair of the old model B.1 15x56s a few months ago and I love them. No regrets.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Well my B1.1s showed up.....as the B1 version.....kinda sour about it. They were advertised as B1.1. Not sure if I should just keep them or not. The eye cups seem to work well for me. A locking diopter would be nice but it is low profile and pretty stiff.

Is there any difference optically?

If not I may just keep them, I really like the build quality, look and ergos.

pc3

WKR
I do not think there was a difference optically between B1 and 1.1......just the diopter lock, there darn solid binoculars youd be hard pressed to tell the difference between these and SLC's and if you can, you wont miss a deer etc. because you have Meopta's vs SLC's.

Apparently the Meostar range of Bino's are built to be very durable as well, hence a little heavier than other options.

I love mine.

if you got them at a good price, I would not stress.

Fatcamp

WKR
Message the company and ask what gives. No matter what they are great glass.

Last edited:

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Well my B1.1s showed up.....as the B1 version.....kinda sour about it. They were advertised as B1.1. Not sure if I should just keep them or not. The eye cups seem to work well for me. A locking diopter would be nice but it is low profile and pretty stiff.

Is there any difference optically?

If not I may just keep them, I really like the build quality, look and ergos.

I would message the company. Not sure what deal you got, but wouldn’t be happy settling for something I didn’t purchase. They likely do that to multiple people as most will just keep it like you are considering and they will keep doing it.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
I contacted them to see if they actually had B1.1 versions in stock and if I could exchange. They said mine(B1) was the last set of any meostars they had. So no chance for an exchange but they did offer my money back.

Now to decide if I want to keep them or not....I haven't gotten to use them, rain and fog here the last couple days. Just messing with them around the house they seem like a solid set of binos.