Meopta Optika 5 (4-20 x 50) - zplus RD

So, I grabbed one of these the other day and found very little information online before I bought. So, I'll do a little review and add to it as time goes on.

I've had the scope for 2 days and barely put it through any paces yet. But overall, it seems to punch way above the $480 price tag.

I got the 4-20x50 model with the illuminated Zplus reticle. I'm not the ideal person to review as I'm a paper puncher at the range and I hunt 400y and in. Or maybe I am ideal, because I think there are a lot like me. I also have minimal experience with high end scopes. Most of what I've shot are basic 3-9 hunting scopes. But here's what I think if anyone cares.

If anyone else has the optika 5 and wants to add to this, please do!

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS (DAY 2)
- Everything works on it out of the box. If it didn't I wouldn't be writing, I'd be waiting on a replacement.
- I really like the covered turrets. Seems like I could dial in If I wanted, or just use it as a standard duplex hunting scope. I don't see how these turrets would hold you back in a hunting or paper punching situation. No zero stop, and 24 MOA of adjustment per turn. May not be perfect for competition, but as a hunter/range shooter it feels great. Mine is SFP which is just my preference, so holdover for wind will take some fast paced algebra.
- Zoom range is great, easy target acquisition from 50y to 750y, and I'd assume even more. If I wasn't trying to reach out to 1000y at the range, I think a zoom range of 3-15 would be perfect. But, I really like the 4-20 for western mountain hunting.
- Illuminated reticle wasn't high on my must have list. But the scope has it so I'm not complaining. Very nice at low light situations, not super bright unless it's on the top 3 settings. 1-3 are fairly useless to me. Illumination fills the tube when light is low, but doesn't show enough of the dot on low settings. So all in all, not something I'm a fan of and also not something I'm super great at evaluating, so this may be a worthless paragraph for many shooters.
- Crystal clear glass. I mean, to me this is beautiful. I don't think glass needs to be amazing in a scope, but this is a joy to look through for me.
- It's heavy if you're used to little 3-9 duplex hunting scopes. It's light if you're used to the 6-24 tactical scopes.
- overall size is fairly tall in 50mm, but it's pretty short. Kinda a non-issue for me. Feels like a good size that won't bog you down while hiking

After my initial impressions, I really like it and would have paid $250 more for this same scope. In fact, I'm almost positive I'm getting 2-10x42 for a little .243 I have, and a 3-15x44 for an old 30-06.

Next Tests
- Tracking at range
- Long Range targets from 500y to 1000y
- Field test...but that has to wait until the seasons open in fall.

OP
A
Oh one negative is that the 1" tube makes it fairly short and close to the rails. But the 50mm objective requires taller rings to clear the barrel.

The other little issue I had was that the turret dials can be removed to reset zero. The screw on the windage turret took about 75,000 lbs of pressure to get it to turn. Once I got it off it's fine, but it was cranked on there.

OP
A
After shooting a bit, I still haven't taken it out past 300y as I am doing some load development with the rifle, a few more thoughts:

- Eye Relief - good from 4-16x and decent above 16x. I set my rifle up so my cheek weld puts my line of sight right through the scope. I can lay down, eyes shut, then open my eyes and be ready to shoot from 4-16x. Above 16x it's not bad, just have to spend a second getting my eye adjusted.

- Turrets - not having a zero stop is not a big deal to me and the way I shoot. But I am realizing how nice it would be to have one. Again, not a deal breaker, but something I wish it had (for the price though, I cannot complain one bit).

- Low Light - no issues at all. I could shoot anything antelope size and bigger up to last light. I can see just fine through the scope. The reticle does get a bit lost in the last minutes of light. But the red dot in the middle is enough to get on target up to 250y or so.

- Tracking - I only really adjusted for zero but it seemed to move exactly where it was supposed to.

Next up:
- Longer Range tracking tests

Overall I'd say this scope is worth every penny of $480 and I really like it as a "do it all" range/hunting scope.