Meopta Optika6 3-18x50mm FFP Field Evaluation

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't think anyone in here is sensitive to anything. We've read the review for what it is, one person shooting one scope. Then here you come criticizing out of left field. If anyone is overly sensitive, it would probably be you. The rest of us will follow through the rest of the process. Fairly simple, actually.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You usually reserve saying much of anything about a scope until it is well tested, that is all. If you offer an opinion, its usually after extensive review.

Ah. That is true. I have done the same once before on another forum. That was at the request of a rep. That scope was a total flop, and the manufacturer did not take it well.

This one was because there have been a lot of questions about why I say what I say, and exactly how I “test” a scope. This is nothing more than a semi-live peek behind the curtain. Not an endorsement. If I would have had to guess at the start, I would have said odds are the Optika6 will fail fail the drop portion, or if it passes that, it will fail between 600-800 rounds.

I’ll be evaling another scope that comes from a manufacturer that doesn’t do well generally. If people want, I’ll do that one the same. I hope that scope works, but historically their scopes have failed epically in very little use.

wildcat33

WKR
I don't think anyone in here is sensitive to anything. We've read the review for what it is, one person shooting one scope. Then here you come criticizing out of left field. If anyone is overly sensitive, it would probably be you. The rest of us will follow through the rest of the process. Fairly simple, actually.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm critical because I want to see brands have integrity. I'm tired of the Leupoldization of optics: the same ol crap, put a turret on it, and call it "dialing" scope hoping to ride a market trend. Only to be shown, after minimal testing by somebody that knows what they are doing, that the optic is garbage. IMO its totally fair to ask tough questions of Meopta.

Edit: so far this test looks good. hope it stays that way.

JGRaider

WKR
I don't have any brand bias whatsoever, and I do agree that tough questions are fair to ask manufacturers, users, reviewers, retailers, etc. Get after it. What I find laughable is when someone criticizes something they've never seen, much less used personally, and that's a far cry from asking tough questions.

For instance, I love Swaro binos, but I think Swaro 1' riflescopes suck, as I've had one fail, in the field, on a hunt in which I was attempting to kill a big 190" muley buck. I also think Leica USA sport optics, as an entity is a total joke after owning a Geovid 2200 briefly last year.

I have zero problems in someone specifically naming names as to what works and what fails. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's even worth bringing up if names are going to be witheld as to what works, and what fails.

After reading that the Optika6 is at least not half bad....I find the explanation of upcoming reticles non existent. For the price, I am ready to pull the trigger on one. Most are out of stock. WTH is Z Plus? How big is the center dot?

Afhunter1

WKR
Yes indeed.

AND it’s fair and right to ask tough questions of anyone doing a review. Most especially if they were given the item.

Any update?

I'd like to buy two of these or SS HD's by the first of the year (if available). I'm hoping you guys that have these already keep us updated and see if they are indeed durable or not.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
The circle is 1 MOA. The Z-Plus reticle is built on an MOA platform. Not sure where the Z-Plus comes from but that is what it is. Here's a pic of the subtensions. I have this scope in MOA and MRAD configuration, couldn't be happier. Very nice glass, tough, repeatable and reliable accuracy. I'll be using one on my .300 Win for deer season this year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 11.59.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 11.59.53 AM.png
    192 KB · Views: 241
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Checked zero a few days ago after being strapped to a pack for a week, no issues.

Buy the SS HD’s. Regardless of what happens with this scope, one scope doesn’t tell you anything. The SWFA’s are known commodities.

Afhunter1

WKR
Checked zero a few days ago after being strapped to a pack for a week, no issues.

Buy the SS HD’s. Regardless of what happens with this scope, one scope doesn’t tell you anything. The SWFA’s are known commodities.

I probably should just do that but these Optika6's just have so much for the money it seems like a perfect hunting scope if it works. Hopefully more people get them and use them before I need to buy.

This took me down a bit of a rabbit hole, and it appears that Ilya Koshkin was behind some of the reticle designs.

I could live with the MRAD designs that Ilya seems to have been involved with (like what is on Form's sample). The one without the circle on the 5-30 matches what is popular and in demand by a lot of the PRS crowd so I'll give kudos on taking the input there. All of the cartridge specific reticle crap annoys me more than it probably should and putting a 1 MOA dot to cover up your POA makes me wonder WTF people are thinking.

Bhoges

FNG
I just mounted mine up Wednesday on an FX Crown air rifle. Yeah I know its an air gun but I have killed chucks well over 100 yards. I hunt from 50 to 200 yards with this gun. Lots of cranking so it will be put to the test soon. I saw these at SHOT and was very impressed. They came out a little late but you get a lot for the money. My only gripe is the reticle. I could do without the horse shoe and don't like the gaps around it. Makes for smaller wind holds less precise. I cant wait to try mine out this weekend. I think my JP22 will need one!

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
Meopta definitely listens to what you guys ask for and makes changes accordingly. You won't be seeing the caliber specific models showing up in the Optika6 line. I am enjoying mine and putting them through their paces on a consistent basis. I had 2 of them at a gunsmith College in Tishomingo, OK this past weekend. Most of the students were not familiar with Meopta but after putting 6.5cm/.308 WIn rounds under them a number want to get on the Optika6 bandwagon.

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpeg
    IMG_1453.jpeg
    579.5 KB · Views: 173
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Helped a buddy on a late season Mtn. Goat tag.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Both man and rifle took a heck of a spill-

Buckle popped but fortunately the rocks caught it before going over.

No goats were harmed during this trip, but a couple days later- scope still works

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
Glad both were ok after the spill. I had the same thing happen during an elk hunt in the mountains of Eastern Ore. years ago. No fun and even less worrying about your scopes zero. Luckily all ended well just like your story. Thanks for the post and the pics! Meopta's Optika6 line has been doing very well and posts like yours are a big help.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shot on 9x I believe, with impact velocity of just above 1,800fps-
8oT5RAI.jpg

Checked zero after packing out the elk and a couple more severe hits-
ersBUyo.jpg

Shot on 11x, with impact velocity right at 1,800fps as well-
zwQpToa.jpg

Main hunting with the Meopta has pretty much ended. Have a couple more buck tags and does, but 223’s will get that work. The Optika 6, will go on a gas gun and get worked over hard.

Around 800 rounds, three big game animals for me from “pretty far” to about maximum distance, multiple shooters/hunters using it from point blank to 1,280 yards on 12” targets- no scope issues have been noted, it has maintained zero, adjusted, and RTZ correctly.
The reticle DOES work. Though every animal and most test shots have been with between .5-1.2 mils of wind hold.... right where the reticle is weakest. At least two hits on animals were unobserved due to the round impacting behind the thick donut ring. Three world class shooters have used it, and all preferred if it had no donut and some other method to see the reticle on low power. This really isn’t a knock on Meopta or Ilya- donuts are what people want. Why and how is a mystery as it is so very easy to show how that donut makes it harder to spot impacts from field positions.

Not a single animal was killed using the scope on its maximum power. Other than zeroing, maximum power (18x) has not been used at all. Field of view matters WAY more than magnification, and being able to gather as much information as possible before, during, and after the shot is critical.