Meopta Optika6 3-18x50mm FFP Field Evaluation

DarylG619

FNG
Great review. Question for you Form, do you think either the RD MRAD or RD ZPlus reticules would alleviate some of the issues you noticed with the donut ring?

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
The donut ring is made for fast target acquisition usually in a low magnification setting. I believe that is the idea behind it on this optic. Kind of a multiuse optic if you will. Come to find out some folks don't mind it, some don't like and others are fine with it. I love it on the Optika6 1-6x24 but then again we are not talking about the same kinds of uses. Meopta appreciates and does listen to all your opinions.

sndmn11

WKR
Great review. Question for you Form, do you think either the RD MRAD or RD ZPlus reticules would alleviate some of the issues you noticed with the donut ring?

If you are talking about the MOA or MIL reticles for the 3-18FFP scope that is being reviewed, here are better looks of both of those reticles that Erik Muller of Meopta sent me over. I have asked specifically and more than once if there are other MIL reticles available for that scope and the answer is no.

Attachments

• Zplus RD_sup 06-12-2019.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 183
  • MRAD 1 RD 3-18-4.5-27.PDF
    99.6 KB · Views: 160

DarylG619

FNG
If you are talking about the MOA or MIL reticles for the 3-18FFP scope that is being reviewed, here are better looks of both of those reticles that Erik Muller of Meopta sent me over. I have asked specifically and more than once if there are other MIL reticles available for that scope and the answer is no.
Thanks for the info and clarification. I was looking at their website and thought the MRAD and MRAD 1 were both offered for this scope. As much as I want my next scope to be mil based I think the Zplus is more my fit.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

No. As has been stated, this reticle/scope was intended to be a crossover reticle. The ZPlus is nearly useless for distance, and the other MRAD reticle won’t be very visible at low power.

Whether “cross over” uses are valid, is an entirely different question. The MRAD 1 is not a reticle that any PRS style competitor will want, even if someone was going to carry a 20lb rifle hunting. They almost universally dial elevation, even though tree reticles dominate (just like medium plus range hunters) It’s also, not ideal for 90+% of shots that mid range, or even long range hunter will have. Yep, it works to see it on low power, and gives you Mils on high power. It also blocks a heck of a lot of information at any distance.
The most important part of any reticle is center to around 2 mils from center. In order of importance- center, 12 o’clock, 3 and 9 o'clock, then last- 6 o'clock. This reticle covers a lot of that. Look at the through the scope pic on the dead elk, the donut is covering up a significant portion of the animal.

I’m not lamenting that Ilya and Meopta made this reticle, some people will love it, though actual buyers I think will be lower than most expect. Instead, I’m saying SOMEONE other than Minox with the THLR, should examine what is truly used on a contact distance to longe range hunting reticle using people that actually do kill animals from zero to as far as possible, design the reticle and put it in a reliable, durable, FFP scope of 3-15x’ish power.

Or, just make a deal and use the THLR reticle.

DarylG619

FNG
No. As has been stated, this reticle/scope was intended to be a crossover reticle. The ZPlus is nearly useless for distance, and the other MRAD reticle won’t be very visible at low power.

Whether “cross over” uses are valid, is an entirely different question. The MRAD 1 is not a reticle that any PRS style competitor will want, even if someone was going to carry a 20lb rifle hunting. They almost universally dial elevation, even though tree reticles dominate (just like medium plus range hunters) It’s also, not ideal for 90+% of shots that mid range, or even long range hunter will have. Yep, it works to see it on low power, and gives you Mils on high power. It also blocks a heck of a lot of information at any distance.
The most important part of any reticle is center to around 2 mils from center. In order of importance- center, 12 o’clock, 3 and 9 o'clock, then last- 6 o'clock. This reticle covers a lot of that. Look at the through the scope pic on the dead elk, the donut is covering up a significant portion of the animal.

I’m not lamenting that Ilya and Meopta made this reticle, some people will love it, though actual buyers I think will be lower than most expect. Instead, I’m saying SOMEONE other than Minox with the THLR, should examine what is truly used on a contact distance to longe range hunting reticle using people that actually do kill animals from zero to as far as possible, design the reticle and put it in a reliable, durable, FFP scope of 3-15x’ish power.

Great information as usual. Thank you for the response and clarification!

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for the info and clarification. I was looking at their website and thought the MRAD and MRAD 1 were both offered for this scope. As much as I want my next scope to be mil based I think the Zplus is more my fit.

That is why I had asked him multiple times; some of the literature he had sent me mentioned MRAD some said MRAD1. Not knowing the subtensions for MRAD that might have been a resolution to the shortcomings pointed out here. with the MRAD1 vacant donut. Ultimately, those shortcomings with the reticle led me to order a different scope. I may still order a 1-6 capped version for another purpose.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I have used my Z-Plus reticle to shoot 650 yards with my 6.5 CM. I know for many of you that's just warming up, but I was quite happy with being able to use it for drop and not dial it. I have the FFP 3-18x50 and I couldn't be happier with the accuracy my friends and I have been able to achieve. After deer season we have places to stretch out to 1000+ yards and will see what happens then.

im confused on the MRAD comment and PRS competitors. It seems pretty close to what many are using in PRS.

They messed up the center on that zplus pretty bad. Who wants 18x and also a big ass dot to obscure the POA?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The ZPlus is nearly useless for distance”

Need to correct this- the Z-Plus is an MOA based reticle, and I meant- nearly useless for close distances.

That’s a bit of a stretch. It has the dot, but it suffers like most reticles at low power. And it’s MOA....

If my math is correct...the center dot on the MRAD1 is approx .28" at 100 yards for subtension? It's listed at .08 Mils. I think this a quite a tiny center dot and think I would be quite please with that as a center aiming point. Am I way off here?

I’ve been looking at these scopes and this eval has been excellent. Thanks! A question I had, and I’m certainly a novice in this, is where does the extra weight come from on this scope. Looking at the Meopro 4x12/50 the weight is I believe 18 oz. at 30 oz that’s almost double the weight. Is it the zoom levels, better “protection”, or is the glass that much better ( I’ve read the whole thread, that was sarcastic).

I’m just trying to decide if there’s a good reason to add 12 oz of weight if I don’t need a 18x zoom. Thanks again for this review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I assume you mean the Meopro 4-12X50 verse the Optika 6.

The answer to your question depends on your needs and intended use. If you won't be a dial twirler, then, no it probably isn't worth it. If you want to spin it like a DJ, you want the extra weight. The two scopes are designed and intended to be used differently.

The 4-12 is a set it and forget it design. As such, wear in the erector system and perfect erector travel are not as high on the design list. As long as the end user can sight it in and it stays there, mission accomplished.

The Optika 6 is intended to have the dials spun on a regular basis. So, erector system wear, linear travel, and stability all the way to the extremes of the travel range are designed in. The extra weight is part of that, as well as a larger tube, and FFP design. Increase the weight/size of one component and all the rest must follow or it will be unreliable.

Jeremy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Looks like this scope is already well ahead of the 4.5-14x50 with target turret that I got from Meopta a couple years ago. With the first elevation adjustment, something spun up inside the turret like a lawnmower cord and then wouldn't budge........the very first adjustment. That was a quick return.100_3116.JPG

Thanks guys. I’m thinking I don’t need the extra weight of the Optika. May go with the Meostar 1. That should be a severe upgrade from my Vortex Diamondback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I would have to agree with you that the MeoStar is a glass upgrade. I have the 1.5-6x42 on my .375 H&H. Love it! It will take whatever you dish out and the glass is impressive. Great in low light too. I have used mine for pig hunting this past year, tied of letting it sit in the safe all the time. Huge fun airing it out again.

Attachments

• IMG_4186.jpeg
    IMG_4186.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 143