Meostar 12x50 HD & Swaro EL 12x50 Comparison

Tahoe1305

WKR
Good Evening

This is my third novice comparison thread on Rokslide now for binos. I have the two others pasted below for context on $1000 Bino comparison and 18x Vortex UHDs and Maven B5s. I am not sure why, but I just find this fun, so I continue to search for solid deals on binos and buy them to compare, then end up reselling. It keeps me busy!

I snagged a great deal on another (yes I have done this once) set of EL 12x50s. I sold the first pair of ELs new as can be because I just couldn't justify the cost....although they lingered in my mind....Then I found these for about $500 less than the previous and I had a decision to make. I snagged them.

I set out to compare my pair of Meostar HDs and ELs using roughly the same semi-objective measures described in my previous comparisons but mainly: center resolution, edge to edge clarity, field of view, ergonomics, low light performance.

For this comparison I spent a handful of hours behind each on tripods looking from 200-600yds across a bayou at a USAF resolution chart and various boat names of different fonts.

Thoughts:

Center Resolution - They were extremely close. I could barely make out the upper left "2" with both and clearly make out the lower right "1" in the attached chart at 600 yds. I would argue that they both were within 1 resolution size of each other with possibly a slight edge to the ELs, but it was close.

Edge to Edge Clarity - I took the same target at 600 yds and moved it to the top of the field of view of both binos. The top 10-20% of the FOV. This is really were the Swaro dominates IMO. With the Meostar you lose a good amount of resolution on the last 10% or so. I would say about 5-6 levels using the chart. The ELs hold strong as far out as you can look. They aren't perfect, but maybe lose a level or two. This is the biggest difference between these two binos IMO.

Field of View - I looked at a row of boats here and just simply saw how many more boats were in the picture. I don't recall what the "spec" numbers were, but the EL's at 700 yds had roughly 10' more FOV from what I could see. Add the almost perfect edge to edge clarity here and it gets interesting.

Low Light Performance - I read a lot on how Swaro just dominates here so that is what I was expecting. For this test I used an earlier boat at roughly 700 yds that had the name "Odyssey" in what I could only guess was about 4" font. I starting looking through both binos at about 30 min after sunset. To be honest they were extremely close. At times I thought the meostar was more clear. At about 40 min past sunset I could barely read it with the meostars and about the same to be honest with ELs. A bit disappointed here.....

Ergonomics - This is subjective as it comes but important to many. Weight. The ELs are 4 oz lighter. Focus wheel. The ELs are a bit grainy and the meostars are legitimately the smoothest I have ever felt (no joke...I am up to 16 pairs now tested I believe). I also felt like getting a more focused picture was quicker and less sensitive with the meostar than the swaro. Diopter. Meostar wins here too, it is awesome IMO. Obvious the Meostar is a bit easier for tripod attachment (used std stud and no need to send in to get special stud stamped in). I also prefer the eyecups on the meostar, they lock solid were my ELs seem to not hold quite as solid in the position. I like the integrated objective covers on the swaros and the open bridge is a bit easier to one hand hold. The extra weight of the meostar does make them a tad more stable for hand holding IMO. Minus being a bit heavier, I think the Meostars win out here depending on what you think is important.

So I decided to keep my ELs this time. Really only because I got them for such a good price and I know some day I can sell them for at least what I paid for them. It actually wasn't as much as a landslide decision as most, including myself, would have thought. Take out edge to edge clarity and I would keep the Meostars. Add another $300 in cost to the ELs and I probably keep the meostars ($500 was the deciding factor with the first set).

I know it isn't exactly an even comparison ($1300 binos vs $2800 binos), but like most people say, the Meostars are about as good as it gets for value. I just don't want to live life wondering if I would have spent that extra money, would I have seen.........

I will post my Meostars in another thread. Hope this helps someone!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.02.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 3.02.31 PM.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 44
OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I know. Sunset has the ones I sold him for sale and I’ve been tempted to get them back to compare. I’m confident they’d fall right between the two but with a bit more length. Just because the cost savings I’d be worried I’d keep them over the ELs and have everyone on here hate me. The UHDs are impressive IMO.

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review Tahoe1305, very well done. I have the Meopta 12x50s and they are a hell of a bino. However, I have always wondered about the ELs and what I was giving up. Other than about $2K as I picked up the Meoptas used for a good deal. This review provided those answers.

ianpadron

WKR
I sure do love my Meopta 12x50s.

This is the first side by side I've seen with the ELs, and since the ELs are the ONLY bino that I've remotely considered upgrading to, I don't feel the need after reading your quick and simple review. My wallet thanks you!

Regarding the new Razor UHDs: I've looked through 2 pairs now and was not impressed given their price. Felt they were better than the Maven B2s but not as good as my Meoptas.

A buddy who bought the UHDs is selling his in the classifieds right now after hunting with me and my Meoptas this past week...that says something.