Meostar 7x42 or Leica ultravids HD 8x50

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
For those who know a lot more about binoculars than I do, I was hoping a few of you could chime in about the above two binoculars. I will be making a trip back to the Northeast woods in a couple of weeks, and both of these binos are available from two different sellers, close to the I-95 corrider I'll be traveling. I was hoping to make a decision b/4 I leave, so I can make just one stop, instead of looking at both pair.

The type of hunting would be typical Vermont, Maine woods with lots of swamp and thick cover, with some open hardwoods that could stretch to 200 yards, but typically not much over 100 yards. Do one of these do better in low light conditions than the other, as in first light in the morning, and last light in the afternoon? The Ultravids look to be a little bigger in size, but I want something I can carry carry all day around the neck or in a harness.

Both binoculars look to be in excellent condition, with asking prices of $650 for the Meostars, and $1200 for the Ultravids. Certainly Leica's reputation precedes them, but everything I've read about the Meostars seems top notch also, although there's not a lot out there on the 7x42's. Looking for some real world experience with either pair. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Meostars are an excellent quality binocular and at that low a price you could use them for a season and sell them without a loss, great opportunity

binoman

FNG
Thanks Doug, at half the price, that was my line of thinking also.
For those who know a lot more about binoculars than I do, I was hoping a few of you could chime in about the above two binoculars. I will be making a trip back to the Northeast woods in a couple of weeks, and both of these binos are available from two different sellers, close to the I-95 corrider I'll be traveling. I was hoping to make a decision b/4 I leave, so I can make just one stop, instead of looking at both pair.

The type of hunting would be typical Vermont, Maine woods with lots of swamp and thick cover, with some open hardwoods that could stretch to 200 yards, but typically not much over 100 yards. Do one of these do better in low light conditions than the other, as in first light in the morning, and last light in the afternoon? The Ultravids look to be a little bigger in size, but I want something I can carry carry all day around the neck or in a harness.

Both binoculars look to be in excellent condition, with asking prices of $650 for the Meostars, and $1200 for the Ultravids. Certainly Leica's reputation precedes them, but everything I've read about the Meostars seems top notch also, although there's not a lot out there on the 7x42's. Looking for some real world experience with either pair. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Have you considered kowa bd II 6.5x32? Much lighter, super wide field field of view, bright and likely much easier to hand hold. Won’t be on par optically with Leica and Meopta but when hand holding in dense cover over shorter distances I don’t think you will miss much.

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Not familiar with Kowa. I’ve owned Vortex 8x42 vipers, non hd, and a pair of Swift Audobon 8x42. That’s quite a FOV on those.

I have a Meostar 7x42 and it is an incredible deep woods glass, bright image and very good depth of view where you don't have to constantly refocus. I have used an Ultravid HD but it was an 8x42. It was very nice as well and comparable to the Meostar HD to my eyes.

I bought a Kowa bd II 6x5x32 that I bought to replace my Viper HD 6x32 but I ended up sending it back as I saw lots of ghosting in the bottom part of the image, so I stayed with the Viper HD 6x32. The Meostar 7x42 is much better than either but it is heavier and harder to use with one hand. But with the great depth of field, I don't end up having to focus it that much.

AGPank

WKR
The 7x42 won’t be HD optics, but still good binos. $650 seems a little high. Shop around, you may find the 8x32 hd cabelas version for that price or better.

The Leica Ultravids will be low light monsters, but not sure if the 350’ field of view would disappoint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
cruizer

cruizer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for those posts LH1975 and AGP.
AGP, a quick question, what would the 7x42’s be lacking by not having the HD glass? I’m coming from non HD vortex vipers, so wondering if it’s anything I would even notice. Thanks

pc3

WKR
I don't think you can go wrong with the Meostars. I have a pair of 10x42 B 1.1 HD bino's and they are brilliant, a best value. I truly believe that this is the sweet spot for cost vs performance. From this point upwards the "law of diminishing returns" is pretty evident in my view. I have a couple their products;

Meopta s2 spotter
Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 scope (sits on a cz 527 .204 Ruger)
Meopta B 1.1 10x42 HD bino's

Happy with them all for there purpose, and best part is these optics are not made in China ( I now try and avoid Chinese products whenever possible).

AGPank

WKR
Thanks for those posts LH1975 and AGP.
AGP, a quick question, what would the 7x42’s be lacking by not having the HD glass? I’m coming from non HD vortex vipers, so wondering if it’s anything I would even notice. Thanks

The biggest thing is control of CA, which you may not notice in deep woods.
Matt Cashell has a good review of the Meostar HD and If I remember correctly he compared against the non-HD version (and SLC neu). I think there were different coatings and a slight yellow tint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoodie

WKR
Have you considered kowa bd II 6.5x32? Much lighter, super wide field field of view, bright and likely much easier to hand hold. Won’t be on par optically with Leica and Meopta but when hand holding in dense cover over shorter distances I don’t think you will miss much.
This. They're also cheaper.

I have Meostar B1.1 12x50s. They have great glass.

I picked up the Kowa 6.5x32s as an option for still hunting thick timber and I'll never get rid of them. I carry them on my chest now and carry the 12s in the pack for most of my hunting.

They are a dream to use one handed. At 6.5x the absolute quality of the glass isn't as critical as it is with something like a 12x50 or 15x56. I will say that the edge to edge clarity could be a little better.

I'm sure the Meopta 7x42 is fantastic, but as mentioned, it's heavier. That was the other option I was considering before I picked up the Kowas.

Bkdc

FNG
Are you keeping long term? The warranty is at issue. Leica does not warranty second hand binoculars. Meopta has a lifetime warranty if the original owner registered the binocular