Merino Base Layers

No stank, even with bat wings. Fast drying and super lightweight. Wicks moisture away and evaporates quickly.
I'm not on the "it keeps you warm AND cools you off bandwagon " merino is for cold weather only.

Reactions: Cmv

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not on the "it keeps you warm AND cools you off bandwagon " merino is for cold weather only.

I only use merino for sweat control, so lightweight thin base layers regardless of the temps. It definitely doesn't keep me warm, especially heavier mid layers. There are better options for that IMO. So for any activity outside of continuous wearing for high exertion days on end, I mostly use synthetics.

Hathcock

FNG
If it wasn’t good with smells I probably wouldn’t use it. It holds moisture and always feels damp to me. I honestly prefer it for warm weather situations compared to cold weather.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Merino dries slower than synthetics.

The main benefit of Merino in its insulating value verses weight and its ability to go longer without stinking.

rbljack

WKR
Id say the biggest plus is that it keeps the stank away. You can take fewer clothes and wear them for days in the backcountry and you wont be as "ripe" by day 3 or 4...LOL.

LightFoot

WKR
I use merino in both warm and cold hunts.
Smells less than synthetic.
Regulates temperature.

I can go 4+ days in my base layers.

>>>----JAKE----->

The stank as people have said but also thermal regulation. I have a bunch of Black Ovis merino and I wear the 2?? 1/4 zip hoody pretty much every day after work and frequently don’t wash it for 2-3 weeks at a time of this kind of wearing.... and I’m a construction worker so I usually smell before I get to that point in my day

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
My take is it does 2 things well, but not singularly great at one.
Good for warmth, not great-but this is where regulating temp comes in. You can keep it on during greater temp/activity swings.

The not stinky thing is real and a blessing! Synthetics and fleece are warmer, but by end of one day of hunting they retain odor and reek big time.
Being able to rewear for multiple days on a backpack hunt is huge.

I love my merino base layers and socks. They wick the sweat away very well, keep me dry and as a result keep me warm. They have been a gamechanger as far as reducing layers/bulk goes. I can wear them several days in a row without worrying about odor. My Smartwool & First Lite mid-weight baselayers are some of the most comfortable clothing I own. They just feel great next to skin.

That said, I have not tried a high end synthetic baselayer in a long time, so there may be warmer or better options out there. Well that's not entirely true, I do have a light weight Sitka top but rarely use it.

MtGoat

FNG
I used to use the Patagonia synthetic pants and transitioned to merino wool pants t-shirts and long sleeved zip tops.
They seem to insulate much better than the synthetic weight for weight, and are better adapting to cool/cold mornings to trudging up steep hills sweating your tail off then setting and glassing better than the synthetics.
This has been my experience.
That and after a week of elk hunting in the back country they don't stink to high heaven.

The down side as said above they absorb moisture so you need a way to get them dried out more than the synthetics.

Pat

Honyock

WKR
No stank and keeps you warm when it’s wet. Save some $ and look at BlackOvis merino. Camofire will have it and you can buy two for what you would pay for one First Lite. I have both FL and Blackovis and other than no Camo in BlackOvis very comparable in my opinion.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I love my FL aerowool baselayers. That being said, the kuiu merino wanted to make me scratch myself to the bone I was so itchy, so make sure you try them on before you commit to whatever you buy.

Also, try to get a synthetic merino blend. My pure FL merino stuff got holes just from a gentle wash. The aerowool fixed that problem and are much tougher and dry out quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk