Merino Baselayer Weight Recommendation

I'm really early into hunting and need a recommendation for merino baselayer weight. I'm a new dad, so value is important but I'm also acutely aware that "buy once, cry once" is a thing. This is my first season without significant help and I've done some backpacking, so consider me a high functioning idiot at best.

I'm primarily going to be archery and shotgun/rifle hunting for whitetail and turkey in N Illinois and SW Wisconsin. I also really loved archery elk and first rifle elk in Colorado. So there is going to be a lot of sitting hunting but once a year more of the "armed hiking" variety of hunting, with some backpacking and day hiking sprinkled in between.

With that said am I better off getting a 100-150 gsm or a 200-250 gsm weight baselayer for the variety of hunting I'll be doing? I'm generally aware that baselayers move moisture and aren't meant as an insulating layer, so heavyweight baselayers don't do the primary job that well. But does anyone have experience to suggest that midweight baselayers keep you warmer/dried compared with lightweight ones?

Thank you in advance!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
For your application My recommendation is the 150-200 gram. I have used different brands and to be honest I haven't noticed a huge difference between them. I've used Smartwool, FirstLite, Core4Element, Icebreaker, Point6 and WoolX. I'd recommend any of those EXCEPT WoolX.. it was complete junk.

I just picked up a 150 Black Ovis Hoody and it is the softest I've tried. I've heard good things about it and I'm daily wearing it so I'll keep everyone posted. It's probably the best bang for your buck on Camofire.

I also wouldn't wear any that isn't 1/4 or 1/2 zip. It makes it so much more versatile.

BBob

WKR
If it were me starting out I'd opt for the lighter weight and add from there. I use the lighter base layers far far more than my heavier and always have one on or in my pack. If it's going to be colder I still put that lightweight on first and add on top of that.

A recent discussion:

As to merino vs poly moving moisture and warmth:

Bump79

WKR
If it were me starting out I'd opt for the lighter weight and add from there.

A recent discussion:

As to merino vs poly moving moisture and warmth:

Seconded. I think once you get the the 200+ range you are better off just wearing a light synthetic fleece. As the video mentions wool pulls to moisture into the fabric but don't want to dry as quick. So once you get into the heavier weight it doesn't evaporate as quickly and starts to defeat the purpose.

I'm a hunter that really likes my money to go a long way. That means a few high quality key pieces found on sale.

My system is like this:
1) 150 merino 1/4 or 1/2 zip
2) Kuiu Peloton 200 (my favorite piece of clothing I own)
3) Eddie Bauer Cirruslite Down (or Gerry, I think you have to spend some real coin to get a better puffy)
4) Kuiu Chugach NX

My heavier merino baselayers mostly live in the closet now, unless I’m ice fishing. I’ve found a noticeable difference in how dry and comfortable I stay during high output activities. I’d stay around the 150 weight range.

Hondo

WKR
Ditto on the lighter weight merino and 1/4 zip and/or hoody recommendation. I've been happy with the BlackOvis 150, Kuiu 145 and First Lite Wick products. I find it more efficient to put a fleece mid-layer over the lighter merino layer than go with a heavier base layer. I'm rarely in subzero temps though.

Here is my two cents...

Grab a lightweight short sleeve merino t-shirt. Grab a lightweight long sleeve merino shirt. I would then look at grabbing a mid-weight merino shirt. I would not get a true heavy-weight one as 1) it may be too difficult to dry and 2) you are now in the mid-layer realm where there are better options.

Here's an example:
Kuiu Ultra Merino 125 SS Crew T-Shirt
Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 Zip-T Hunting Shirt OR Pro Merino 200 Zip-T (depending on temperatures)
Kuiu StrongFleece 260 OR Peloton 200 (depending on temperatures)

If we are talking bottoms, then I want the mid-weight or heavy-weight. Not much sense in a lightweight pair for me because if it is cold enough that I need another layer on my legs, then I need more than what the lightweight offers. My legs are pretty tolerant of the cold.

Cold weather hunting and hiking I'm using 250 weight and 125 for early season stuff. This has been working perfect for myself.

I've currently been buying from a company called Meriwool when it's on sale. Really happy with it so far.

Bump79

WKR
It’s hard to beat the value you get from Black Ovis merino when it’s on sale. They seemed to have fixed the early sizing issues they had. It’s also pretty soft stuff, and I’ve tried just about every brand.
Especially when they're all made in China anyway.. but Sitka, FL and Kuiu charge a premium for it. If it's made in China it better at least be a bargain lol

Bump79

WKR
Whatever you get make sure your bottoms are zip off...best thing to happen to clothes since pockets....
Just got my first set. Game changer for sure.

That said I got the Canis Chamois 3/4. I like them enough but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them.

Whatever you get make sure your bottoms are zip off...best thing to happen to clothes since pockets....
I love my zip-off peloton bottoms. That said, I don’t see a point in zip-offs for a lightweight baselayer with the primary purpose of moving moisture. I wear a lightweight synthetic or merino baselayer at all times when hunting unless it’s over 70 degrees. The peloton 97 zip-off is my mid layer and treated as such. Goes on when it’s very cold or when I’m stationary, comes off for high exertion.

I love my zip-off peloton bottoms. That said, I don’t see a point in zip-offs for a lightweight baselayer with the primary purpose of moving moisture. I wear a lightweight synthetic or merino baselayer at all times when hunting unless it’s over 70 degrees. The peloton 97 zip-off is my mid layer and treated as such. Goes on when it’s very cold or when I’m stationary, comes off for high exertion.
I like the zip off lightweight for Turkey season here...not uncommon for it to be mid 30s before day light and 70s for evening hunts.

OP
A
Thank you all for the responses. I truly appreciate it!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Definitely the lightweight merino for all active hunting. Mine stay on 24/7 during archery elk season. For sitting, you can still wear the lightweight and just add insulation layers.......or have a set of heavier ones as well, but I prefer the lightweight merino with insulation layers option better.

Bowhunt25

FNG
Black Ovis makes good merino base layers, you can find them on Camofire for a very good price, just have to wait for the right day.

Bump79

WKR
Definitely the lightweight merino for all active hunting. Mine stay on 24/7 during archery elk season. For sitting, you can still wear the lightweight and just add insulation layers.......or have a set of heavier ones as well, but I prefer the lightweight merino with insulation layers option better.
Spot on. 150 weight or lower then add insulation layers.