Merino boxers

I have had 5 pair of various FL wool underwear. I wore a hole in all of them with minimal hiking. I sent them back to FL and they replaced them. Shortly there after, those also wore holes in the crotch. I have a pair of Smartwool, they have not shown any sign of wear. Now I will only buy Smartwool or non-wool Ex-officio. I love the FL, but they just tear way too quick.

dkime

WKR
Exofficio is the only boxer I’ll ever buy again, Red Deserts for the last 5 years with no real issues but it’s not even a close comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacack

WKR
Exofficio is the only boxer I’ll ever buy again, Red Deserts for the last 5 years with no real issues but it’s not even a close comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, exofficio wear them everyday

kumplocke

FNG
Black Ovis working well for me. Icebreaker seem to disintegrate in days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This thread convinced me to try some bamboo boxers instead of my UA synthetics and Duckworth wools....

Bamboo is a game changer, highly recommend after the last 3 days of testing. Personally I went with the Cariloha brand as I have experience with their tops and bedding.

atenjones

FNG
My FL boxers were insanely comfortable, but I made the mistake of wearing them at other times than just hunting, and they were down to threads within a month. Just can't justify that much money for boxers I can only wear a few times.

BlackOvis has been great for me, and I wear them every day (Have about 7 different pairs). After about a year, some have started to wear through - but for $18 boxers that have seen weekly wear for a year, I can't complain about them at all. As everyone else has said - they're a little tight, and I think I probably should have gone up another size - but I can't recommend them enough.

No faster way for me to Chaff than using ANY merino underwear, and First Lite blows a hole within days. Exofficio have been great for me the past 7 years and still on the same original pairs. Only other brand my friends tell me is close or better are the Duluth Buck naked.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Meriwool boxers everyday, they are awesome. I signed up for their newsletter (goes to my spam box) and got a 20% coupon. Put's them under $20 a pair, so far there are super durable (over a year on some pairs). I decided to invest on good underwear and now own 8 pair, wont ever look back.

How do the other brands sizing (smartwool, icebreaker, minus 33) compare to black ovis? The fabric and seams on the black ovis feel nice to me, but they just don't fit me real well. Real tight in the thigh (and feels like its restricting me when I take a step), and even tighter in the butt - like it feels like I can't pull them up as high as I'd like because there isnt enough room in the bottom of the butt.

Anyone know if they new first lite wick ones have fixed the durability problems?

And to the guys wearing bamboo.. do they wick as well as merino? And do they dry as fast as merino?

I've never looked at bamboo before but looked some up on Amazon and I'm intirgued.

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
Not merino per say... but ex official boxer briefs are amazing in every way... then again, I live in South Texas and it was 111 heat index today. I prefer the lightweight sport mesh this time of year. The normal weight stuff the rest of the year.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I have some cheap Chinese brand bamboo underwear I bought a couple years ago. For daily wear in my opinion they are superior to merino in durability, comfort and wicking/drying. Anti stink they are on par with merino but far better than poly. They dont stretch and get baggy either like merino can.

ofl0926

WKR
so I keep reading that the black ovis boxers are pretty good. do you guys suggest sizing up one size for better fit around the legs?

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
since i posted original question, i weighed everyone's opinion (thx again guys) and i bought both icebreaker and black ovis. The only thing i can think of IMHO where black ovis maybe better than icebreakers is durability but i wont know that for a while. The BO are a thicker feeling material, but imho icebreakers are hands down the better choice for me. They are much softer, fit me better and not even comparable when it comes to breathability. i caught both on sale and were both preety comparable in price, the IB's were 22 or 23/pair and BO were 20/pair. I've been wearing both back and forth for a bit now to work and also to the gym each morning to get a really good comparison to each other and compared to just normal cotton underwear. The IB when i'm soaked in sweat are amazingly dry. The BO breathe wayy better than cotton but are no where near the icebreaker. Now i doubt just by the feel of the IB vs BO that the IB will outlast the BO, but i'll continue to buy the IB unless they die out on me soon. Just thought i would pass along my .02 on the comparison between the 2. Also like others have said the legs are tight and annoying on the BO.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
I have some cheap Chinese brand bamboo underwear I bought a couple years ago. For daily wear in my opinion they are superior to merino in durability, comfort and wicking/drying. Anti stink they are on par with merino but far better than poly. They dont stretch and get baggy either like merino can.
could you post a link or the name of the bamboo brand you like?

have not worn "them all" but a bunch and there always seems to be some downside to them - personally, I don't need "warmth" from mine, just not the icecube effect when they're sweat soaked or damp - so far, EXOFFICIOS have my business for everything from day to day to hunting (I know they're not wool) comfortable, durable, affordable