Merino quarter zip

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a long sleeve light weight merino quarter zip without a hood. Primary use will be for hiking in/out but then will act as my first base layer. I like the idea of the zipper to dump heat while I'm moving. I’ve been looking at the first lite wick quarter zip and the kuiu 145 zip-t. I’m leaning towards the first lite but was wondering if there’s something out there I’m missing.

I already own the first lite short sleeve wick and wick hoody so I know how that’ll perform. Don’t care about camo or solids.

OP
knale87

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Check black ovis and meriwoolayers sites I have both, good prices too.
I was looking at the black ovis but was thinking the 200 weight could be warmer then what I was looking for. I’ll have to look further into it.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
the 200 black ovis is pretty heavy. Maybe sub 50°, it makes me sweat a lot while hiking

Kdf22

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said without hood but first lite hooded ones in the solid color are on sale $104

OP
knale87

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said without hood but first lite hooded ones in the solid color are on sale $104
I have the first lite wick hoodie already. Trying to avoid having multiple hoods when layering and would really like the quarter zip.

OP
knale87

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
the 200 black ovis is pretty heavy. Maybe sub 50°, it makes me sweat a lot while hiking
Yea this is what I was worried about as I tend to run hot. I ended up ordering one last night though because I had some points through black ovis and got it for $30.

Still open to other suggestions.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
The black ovis makes me itch I have the first lite merino half zip and love it I use it for just what your talking about. The kuiu one makes me itch as well but not as bad as the black ovis. I will say the black ovis holds up better though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
The black ovis makes me itch I have the first lite merino half zip and love it I use it for just what your talking about. The kuiu one makes me itch as well but not as bad as the black ovis. I will say the black ovis holds up better though

I haven't had problems with the black ovis itching yet, I haven't really heated up to a good sweat though while wearing it.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had problems with the black ovis itching yet, I haven't really heated up to a good sweat though while wearing it.

Yea I think I’m just a big sissy lol. I think maybe because it’s a blend and not 100% merino is what makes me itch but I also think that’s why it lasts longer. The only merino I have not tried is Sitka.

2-Stix

WKR
25 years of hiking, backpacking and mountaineering and about 5 hunting...I have 10-12 wool base layers and Smartwool I find the best for base layers and socks.

Last edited:

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Kuiu for the moose hunt I went on a few weeks ago, and it was a great base layer.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I use the icebreaker oasis long sleeve quarter zip. They make it in a loden green color that’s great. Love mine and 100% merino, super soft