Merino socks

Jager

WKR
I am chasing some info on wool socks. Does anyone that hunts in cold climates have experience with them, and if so, what brands have you found best?

Many thanks

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have used merino wool (they might be blends, not sure) from Darn Tough, Smartwool and some Costco off brand (I want to say wigwam, but that might be wrong) for our summer and fall trips. I have stayed comfortable thru about 35 degrees F, though my boots have some amount of insulation. Most trips I only have one extra pair of socks along or maybe two at the most. I keep my "camp socks" dry at all costs, even if it means having to pull on socks that are still wet from the day before, but merino dries out pretty fast and keeps the stink to a minimum even for 7+ day trips.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Thankyou Becca. I honestly prefer to hunt in running shoes as much as I can, obviously not the best in the cold, hence my thinking about woollen socks.

I see firstlite is releasing a range, may have to try them out.

jmez

WKR
I have Cabela's, Scheel's, Smartwool, and Sam's club off brand Omniwool. I can't tell a difference between any of them. I'll never wear cotton hunting again and see no need to spend $20/pair for the name brands.

weaver

WKR
I bought some lorpen socks almost 2 years ago. Wear them every day and still not a single hole in any of them. Very impressed.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Wigwams are good, made in Wisconsin. Darn Tough makes good stuff too, made in the northeast somewhere (CT maybe?). Smartwool is good too, but made overseas and more expensive than the first two listed made in USA.

OP
Jager

Jager

WKR
Thanks very much, have checked the suggestions out, 'Darn tough' look like what I am after.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Smartwool socks work best for me and seem to peal (ball-up) less and show less wear especially in the heel area. I've not tried Darn Tough but I have a half of dozen other brands.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
The factory that makes Omniwool used to have the contract to make Smartwool medium hikers. Which explains why they are virtually identical to the older SW socks. I'm a big fan, especially given their price point.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I like wigwam I've worn them for a while and was excited to see Costco started selling some. My biggest problem is now I hate to wear anything else.

Whisky

WKR
Never used (or even heard of) Darn Tough, but I currently like Smartwool the best.

Darn Tough is cheaper, and made in the USA, I'd look at them first based on the good feedback here....Next time I need new socks I will have to give them a look.

CaseyU

WKR
I switched from smart wool to Fits socks and will not be changing. Not that i do as close to the backpacking many on here do i do wear mountaineering boots for majority of the year with 40 to 75 pounds on back in some extremely hot conditions and they have proven themselves time and time again

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Darn Tough without a doubt. I think they hold together after a ton of use better.

The Costco Omniwool socks are also a great sock if your looking at price point