Merino vs Poly.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
Merino for me, doesn't get that nasty smell that poly does. And keeps me dry when hiking in layers

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I'd prefer merino , and it works great when layering but I destroyed a couple First Lite long sleve T's one goat hunt. Wore holes in the shoulders under my pack straps

It was to warm to hike in and climb up the mountains with anything any other than a longsleve T. Maybe it was just the brand, What brand merino shirts are you guys wearing?

I've since stopped wearing merino anytime I may need to strip layers down to my LS T next to skin shirt. On these hunts I use a merino/syntetic blend that works pretty good and doesn't stink like poly can.

Ryan47

FNG
I think Merino works better, but as some others have stated, there is an itch factor (for me). I have found that some brands are better than others and the "cheap" merino tops from Amazon are the worst in this dept. I will still go with merino if staying warm is paramount, or I will be in the wilderness for days, but find myself going to the poly tops for day hikes, etc.

N2TRKYS

WKR
If I want stationary warmth, poly. If I want to get hot while moving only, wool. I stopped wearing wool as a base layer a few years ago. Only regret is I didn’t do it sooner.

Merino costs 5X more than poly/merino blend zip neck tees and long Johns and wear out 5X faster.

I really like the COSTCO Paradox base layers. They are a blend of primarily poly with some merino. Durable, dries quickly, comfortable and costs $20 for the tops and less for the bottoms. Not camo but I don’t care.

I was always damp or wet from sweat in the merino. It took forever to dry…never did when I had a Roosevelt elk tag on the coast a few years ago. Quit merino after that trip…except for socks and briefs.

Last edited:
I found this video this weekend with the late Jason Hairston discussing this same topic. Good listen and a very in-depth, review of the differences down to the science of the material.

This has been posted before, and it’s my favorite discussion on the topic. Great breakdown on why/when each has advantages in different settings.

For socks, though, I’m now on full merino.

For tops I’m back-and-forth depending on the application, but mostly synthetic here in the rainy end of Alaska. I am, though, enjoying a KUIU nu-yarn merino top I got last month— especially appreciating the perforated/vented strip that goes from the armpits all the way down the sides. Allows ventilation and better drying without losing heat.