Merino wool base layers

Sevobuck

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Ice Breakers 150 weight. It is perfect for that kind of weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WYLight

FNG
Merino wool definitely lives up to the hype especially when compared to under armour or other nylon poly materials. I personally think FL is the most soft/comfortable. I will stink out under armour in a day but I can get several days out of merino wool.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Yup and yup. Not that anyone would want to but I’ve took a sniff of my own boxers to see if merino really did as described, after 50 miles and 4 days of solid hunting it hardly smelled at all. I’ll bring 2 pair merino boxers, 2-3 pairs merino socks and wear 1 merino long top on a 7 day hunt. If possible I rinse out socks and a pair in creek. I wouldn’t hunt without good merino for my base layer, socks, and undies

teesquare

FNG
While you are thinking about Merino....check your socks. A high percentage Merino wool sock is your foot's best friend......same with base layers.

teesquare

FNG
Lots of places to buy Merino wool containing socks nowadays... just look for more than 50% Merino for the better performing ones.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the input. What weight of Merino are using in warm temps? I have the Badlands merino wool in a 190 weight and a 260 weight. Do you all where the bottoms as well as the tops in warm / hot weather?

Lighter when it is hot. I might go with just a 150 Tshirt if I'm just covering ground then throw on a lightweight long sleeve. I only wear long John bottoms when it's cold.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
There have been a few comments about FL. What is the unabrevaited name of it?

Adventure

FNG
Love my wool base layers. Use Kuiu and Firstlite on 12 day sheep hunt and only used two pair of underwear and 2 shirts the entire time. No stink.

Hey all,

I have a question regarding merino wool.

I have heard of guys wearing light weight merino wool base layers even in warm temps in early September archery elk hunts. they claim it will not absorb body odor / perspiration. They claim they can wear it on a week long hunt and it will not smell.

Any one have confirmation of this?
Does wearing the base layers in warm temps become unbearable?

Absolutely but ensure you get 100% or close to it Merino Wool...less man-made fibres the better. I archery elk hunt in Sept in the foothills in AB. Temps can be -5'c in the morning and +25'c at noon. I have both Kuiu and First-Lite shirts...love em. Also have 4 merino wool shirts from Costco. THese are great also...especially the price

7even on Amazon has the some really good stuff. They also carry the light weight hoodie FL sells but it's about $30 cheaper