Merino wool base layers

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

I have a question regarding merino wool.

I have heard of guys wearing light weight merino wool base layers even in warm temps in early September archery elk hunts. they claim it will not absorb body odor / perspiration. They claim they can wear it on a week long hunt and it will not smell.

Any one have confirmation of this?
Does wearing the base layers in warm temps become unbearable?

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
I carry 2 sets. I wear one and hang one over night to air dry/clean. No scent whatsoever. I hunted with someone wearing all the synthetic stuff and it stunk so bad it was putrid. And I sweat more than anyone I know. And this is in sept.

Thess87

WKR
I sweat horribly and it seems like it takes a few days to start really much order at all. Like fishforfun said rotating Two sets would be idle.

yes it works great. I start wear light merino in FL as soon as i start seeing 60F temps. It is amazing how much it doesn't stink. I do a two week rut hunt in Ky where I might have a chance to wash clothes once, but not always. I have three sets of Merino Base layers and make it through the 2 weeks with no problem at all as far as them starting to stink. obviously if I get a chance to wash my gear I do, but I don't have to bring nearly as much clothing since I started running Merino base layers.

manitou1

WKR
The chemicals (lanolin) in wool are anti-microbial. Kills/prevents bacteria, thus the reason it works so well. I wear it on my Western hunts and have never detected odor... at least not near what it should be. I usually change out to fresh merino every 4 days give or take. Merino is one of my favorite pieces of hunting gear. I wear it from early season to combat early and late day chills and it is still tolerable if temps hit 70.

Last edited:
The lighter weight stuff actually works really well for warm hunting. Overall it will take longer to start smelling and smell much less, but don't be fooled into thinking it's gonna not smell after a few days.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I think it should also be stated that the merino will wick moisture away and retain its insulating properties. So, within reason, you can work up a sweat and the merino will wick the moisture away, then when you stop even if the merino is still wet, you won't get cold(like you would if you were wearing cotton or synthetics).

I'm a merino nut and will probably die by merino. But be careful with the bro-science. Merino does not wick as well as poly or nylon. I wear merino underwear (briefs and t-shirts) year round. I wear them at work (indoors) and in the field. The exception for me is when I know I'm going to work up a solid long standing crack sweat, like on a several hour ruck, I will wear Gore boxers or briefs to get maximum wick. Yesterday during my training ruck I wore the FL Wick Hoody in 85 degree heat, and when I got home I hung it up to dry, won't wash it. I find that I can go for about a week's worth of wear on a garment before it needs a washing. The washing is not necessarily for the stink but because they get crusty or soiled. I can usually do a week-long hunt with only 2 pairs of socks. I just hang the days pair to air out while wearing the other. If you are in an area with good water you can hand wash your off pair and basically renew the cycle.

ChrisAU

WKR
So my first experience with merino base layers was my elk hunt last fall. After 4 days in the backcountry I figured it'd be a good time to change out my FL Red Desert boxers...I couldn't tell I had even worn them.

I hunt in warm weather and sweat a lot. Typically had to change shirts every 2 days due to smell. Started using merino last year and couldn't be more happy. Wore it on multi day backpack hunts and never had to change it out. It was warm when the weather cooled down and kept me cooler than other shirts that I've worn when it heated up during the day. Definitely recommend.

JHW809

FNG
I wear the FL tee shirts every day for my boot camp style workout. These are in Texas were it's usually 83 degrees with about 75% humidity. When I am done with the workout I just hang the shirt up and its good to go the next morning no problem. As stated above my shirt gets washed once a week, because its a little crusty not because they smell.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in Florida and wear my merino FL wick hoodie often. I still use synthetics and blends for fishing, but prefer to wear it for all hunting now.

Catahoula

WKR
I run merino base layers for archery or later rifle hunts. My base layers and socks do not carry odors one bit. I’ve been wearing FL 6 seasons and no issues with stinkiness. I have replaced FL base layers due to wear once or twice which happens. As mentioned, I too carry two sets of base layers for hunts. Also, for me, merino wool is not unbearable in high heat. I believe it helps with heat management a great deal.

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious what brands/models of Merino base layers are you all using. I would assume 100% and not blends, right?

Personally, I have a little bit of everything. Nothing from the hunting only sellers, but from the general Merino clothes makers. Some, about half, I have actually picked up overtime at the local resale shops. If you need tops they are the place to get them I think. I have way more "sweaters" than I need(most are very lightweight) because it's too hard to pass them up at $2-$4 a pop.

Some are 100%, some are a blend. I just bought, on sale, a Smartwool hoodie. I am going to be interested to see how it holds up. It's supposed to be wool that is spun around a nylon core. Seems it will hold up quite well for a mid-layer.

danarnold

WKR
I have a lot of merino, I prefer the sitka polygene light base for its light wt and super quick drying over the merino
only merino darn tough socks for me and cant be beat

I love Merino base layers. I wear Merino year round and haven't found anything I like better. I use first lite, but have been getting my Merino boxers from Amazon lately.

Synthetics always end up smelling bad after a few days for me.