Merino wool brand?

What brand of merino wool do you use? I’ve always used first lite but trying to find somewhere cheaper to buy it from.

ERegs

FNG
I have both minus 33 and first lite. I think the minus 33 has a better fit.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use SKRE 150 wieght. It's spun so been very durable for me. Black Ovis has some merio that is priced pretty well but I haven't personally tried it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Holocene

WKR
First Lite has held up for me. I'm still rocking some raggedy Chama hoodies bought back in 2015. I have not purchased any since the Rinella buyout so am unsure if quality remains the same or has fallen as can happen in acquisitions.

Some icebreaker stuff has lasted a while, although it definitely pills more than First Lite.

For wool softness, durability, and little hunter-specific touches -- First Lite wins in my experience.

Would like to try some other brands competing in this space that folks have mentioned above.

Drenalin

WKR
Minus33 is just as good as First Lite in my experience, maybe a bit more durable. I really like Stone Glacier’s Chinook merino, but you aren’t saving any money there.

I am currently in Antarctica as a winter over. I don't know of a cheap merino wool brand. The best thermals I have found are WoolX. It is a bit expensive but I've had mine for years, they're strong, light and uber warm. LL bean also has a fantastic base layer. I know first lite is geared towards hunting but check out other brands too. I am a brand loyal guy, but base layers, no-one sees them, get whatever is warm.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’d definitely stick to FL. If you want cheaper black ovis is it but nowhere near as comfortable.
Recently bought some black Ovis base layers and one of the shirts was piling after one day of hiking in it… FL and black diamond, OR seem to be much more durable to me

Sturgeon

WKR
My favorite has been Smartwool, even though I don’t really like there socks, their baselayers are great. Have tried Icebreaker, Minus 33, First Lite, Kuiu, and SKRE

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
i just use smart wool. Sometimes you can find merino really cheap from good brands at steepandcheap.com
Ive gotten more bargains off of that site than any hunting site.

Pat253m

FNG
Did they stop making them? For the past year or so I’ve been watching their inventory and they haven’t replenished much……

rope

FNG
Add Red Ram to the list, I have had most listed above and more that I cant think of for the life of me. In recent times I just buy whats on sale. I have ordered some from one of the Scandinavian countries, pardon my spelling ---Versllica. I haven't had it long enough to give an opinion other than the quality. I received it fairly quickly.