Merino Wool Shirt Recommendation

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I have some Black Orvis merino wool t-shirts and other base layers that I like just fine. I am gradually going to start picking up more merino t-shirts to wear. Any recommendations on brands that are a good balance between value and quality?

Titan_Bow

WKR
Keep an eye on Sierra Trading Post, just keyword search merino. I’ve occasionally run across SmartWool, ice Breaker, and random stuff I’ve never heard of but that’s 100% merino. Usually at half or a third of what the hunting companies charge. I found a charcoal 100% merino sweater recently for like 30 bucks. I was wearing this weekend in the snow when turkey hunting Wyoming!
I’ve found the 120-150 gsm weight 100% merino from the main hunting brands tends to get holes FAST. I like to either get cheap 100% lightweight merino, since I assume it’s going to wear out fast, or I like to get a merino blend. At the end of the day, I let my wallet decide usually, and just get the cheapest thing that fits the material or blend I am looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Minus 33 is the most durable I have found. I have a long sleeve heavy weight that is going on 10 years old. For merino, that's a fossil.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
I really love my first lite merino, but I started out with minus 33 and still have it and like it.

Hands down the best: Minus 33. I use mine at work 6 months a year. 100% merino. Always check the others, even though they say "100% merino" the actual label sometimes says otherwise. Nothing better than seeing frost appear on your shoulders from a good sweat in cold conditions ..a true sign of a good wool shirt

grfox92

WKR
Hands down the best: Minus 33. I use mine at work 6 months a year. 100% merino. Always check the others, even though they say "100% merino" the actual label sometimes says otherwise. Nothing better than seeing frost appear on your shoulders from a good sweat in cold conditions ..a true sign of a good wool shirt

Same here I beat the hell out of mine. In fact I wore the M33 stuff exclusively for like 7 straight years when I first bought merino. That was all off my hunting and work.

I actually still have my heavy weight bottoms I just remembered. They have a massive crotch hole in them from where they wore out but they still work and I still wear them.

So that's a top and bottom over 10 years old for Minus 33.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

WMag338

WKR
I've been very pleased with first lite aerowool. It is now my go-to. Most other brands fit me weird and some made me itch. Kuiu was good for me too.

Just a heads up that the KUIU merino long sleeve has comically long sleeves. The L says 35 inch sleeves but I measured it myself and it was about 38 inches. Its still a nice shirt but I will need to get my tailored.

I don't have experience with non-hunting brands really save for some cheap stuff, but I will say I've got layers from all the major brands and First Lite is by far the most durable and comfortable of the Merino stuff. I only buy it on sale. I have Kuiu merino that gets holes in it every time I was it, but my FL stuff is all 5-6 years old and never had an issue and gets used heavily both hunting and regular use.

I don't have experience with non-hunting brands really save for some cheap stuff, but I will say I've got layers from all the major brands and First Lite is by far the most durable and comfortable of the Merino stuff. I only buy it on sale. I have Kuiu merino that gets holes in it every time I was it, but my FL stuff is all 5-6 years old and never had an issue and gets used heavily both hunting and regular use.
I really scratch my head on the Kuiu merino wool shirt. They went out of their way to stich reinforce all the seams then decided to punch a ton of 'ventilation' holes into the side panel with no stitching or reinforcement whatsoever.

Brushcreekbill

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for first lite here. I’ve got multiple KUIU, firstlite, and ice breaker shirts and first lite is what I just ordered more of

I really scratch my head on the Kuiu merino wool shirt. They went out of their way to stich reinforce all the seams then decided to punch a ton of 'ventilation' holes into the side panel with no stitching or reinforcement whatsoever.
My washing machine holes are right in the normal body of the fabric, weirdest thing. They warranty'd the first one and "mentioned" that most people hand wash them and that they don't normally cover holes like that. It'll be the last merino I ever buy from them because I just can't trust them to last a few trips. I really like that shirt otherwise.

Blackcow

WKR
I like to buy synthetic t shirts and mids, and I CALL them merino. Then I can brag to myself how long my merino has lasted and how un soggy are am under my other layers. Otherwise, minus 33 has been good to me. No more hunting brand merino for me.