Merino Wool Smell

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Prior to starting this thread, I searched for other topics and found it discussed a lot albeit sporadically.

Back in the spring prior to turkey season I started wearing FL Merino layers. I bought some of the Wick T's, Wick Hoody, Kiln, etc, All in all I absolutely love them BUT man do they stink when I either sweat or get wet. It didn't necessarily come as a surprise as I've had Merino bottoms in the past but I am shocked at how long the smell has lasted. I figured it would eventually wash out but yet here I am months and many washes later and it still stinks when I pull them out of the wash, or when I sweat, or when it rains. Outside of that I love the performance.

My question is does it ever go away or do any of you have any tips on getting it to go away? If not, how do you manage keeping the smell down in the field?

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Are you referring to your own sweat scent like sweaty gym clothes, or the sheep/farmyard scent of new wool?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

jofes

WKR
I just recently had this issue because I didnt get clothes out of the wash and drying fast enough, I had to rewash them they stank so bad, this however may not be your issue just something ive had happen.
Are you putting them in the dryer or hand drying?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you referring to your own sweat scent like sweaty gym clothes, or the sheep/farmyard scent of new wool?

Good question. You shouldn’t smell your own BO with wool unless it’s a synthetic. The wool definitely smells like wool, but it shouldn’t stink or be a powerful/strong smell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SMOKYMTN

SMOKYMTN

WKR
The wool definitely smells like wool, but it shouldn’t stink or be a powerful/strong smell

It's not powerful or overly strong but definitely noticeable. From what I gather it's the typical "wet sheep/wet dog" smell that many people allude to when dealing with wool. I have Smartwool and Icebreaker merino that I've had for about 5yrs now that the smell faded rather quickly, but honestly I don't remember dealing with it for this long with those. Probably because I wasn't wearing them during the hottest part of the year, sweating, etc.

OP
SMOKYMTN

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Good question. You shouldn’t smell your own BO with wool unless it’s a synthetic. The wool definitely smells like wool, but it shouldn’t stink or be a powerful/strong smell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't BO, it is without a doubt the wool.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Sometimes when I take them out of the washer, if I had let them sit for a little while in there, they are little musky with that wool smell, but honestly, once they are dry the smell goes away. I've never experienced the smell while hunting even when I've been soaked by a rain storm or sweated a bunch. I have a lot of merino wool, but just have never experienced what you are dealing with.

Try washing with a little baking soda and some scentless detergent maybe? All my hunting clothes get washed that way, and like I said I don't have any stinky wool issues for the most part.

OP
SMOKYMTN

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Sometimes when I take them out of the washer, if I had let them sit for a little while in there, they are little musky with that wool smell, but honestly, once they are dry the smell goes away. I've never experienced the smell while hunting even when I've been soaked by a rain storm or sweated a bunch. I have a lot of merino wool, but just have never experienced what you are dealing with.

Try washing with a little baking soda and some scentless detergent maybe? All my hunting clothes get washed that way, and like I said I don't have any stinky wool issues for the most part.

I'll try the baking soda. Thanks!

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I've noticed this smell too on some of my FL merino tops. One of my FL hoodies I've had for many years & every time it gets wet out in the field, this smell comes out. Also smells right out of the wash. It seems weird, but I really notice the same smell when my FHF bino harness gets wet. Must be made of the same merino material? The smell bugged me so much on my bino harness, I decided to retire it, and go to the marsupial harness this year. Smells like a wet dog or wet horse. Not sure what a wet sheep smells like, but I'm guessing they prob smell the same...

OP
SMOKYMTN

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I will add that I live in the Southern Appalachians where this summer we're about a foot of rain over our average and it's been almost swamp like humid from the forests not being able to dry out. I'm wondering if just wearing this wool outside, in an already wet climate may exacerbate the issue?

Wapiti1

WKR
Some of my wool clothing has a wool smell to it when wet, and some does not. The Ibex and Smartwool baselayers do. My Mammut blended base layers do not, but my older blended Rab shirts do.

When it is dry it smells like the soap I washed it in. It's only noticeable when wet, but not strong by any means.

Jeremy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I found KUIU camo merino to be the worst. Other camo merino a close second. And most solid color merino has not really been much of an issue. Have no idea why, but the camo dyes seem to be a problem with this. The first time I washed the KUIU I had, I thought the sewer backed up into my washing machine. That's how bad it was. And then it was the same the first time I wore it and started to sweat. They get wet, and they reeks. My solids are good.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I have old solid kuiu 210 zip off bottoms, solid and camo icebreaker midweight long johns, and a camo first lite wick shirt that have never smelled when wet. My solid first lite kiln hoodie on the other hand smells like a wet dog when it is wet, but the smell goes away when it dries. The smell hasn't changed over time.

jspradley

WKR
I stopped noticing it on anything after several washings and wearings. Kuiu merino is a little stankier than FL in my experience but I figure smelling like an ungulate can't hurt since I don't hunt grizzly country haha

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
My FL Chama stinks if it gets wet
First time I really noticed it I was sweated wet but I figured it most be from elk hunting for almost a week without a wash so I rinsed it out in a creek.
I think that just made it worse until it finally dried out

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I figured that out but not until it happened a few more times 🙂

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
I found KUIU camo merino to be the worst. Other camo merino a close second. And most solid color merino has not really been much of an issue. Have no idea why, but the camo dyes seem to be a problem with this. The first time I washed the KUIU I had, I thought the sewer backed up into my washing machine. That's how bad it was. And then it was the same the first time I wore it and started to sweat. They get wet, and they reeks. My solids are good.
I have several Kuiu merino pieces from different lines. 210 gloves and hoodie, 145 Zip up bottoms, neck gaiter, and beanie, and 125 crew neck. Not a single one has ever stunk. They're pricey, so I baby them a bit. Wash on gentle cycle. Wait at the door for the buzzer and then immediately remove and layout on a rack to air dry.