Merino Wool

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
So, I was really happy to get my Merino Wool top in the mail this week so I could have it for sheep season. I tried it on and it was really itchy, so I put it through the wash thinking it would get better, it didnt... I know everyone here really likes them, how do you get past the itch?

sk1

WKR
i have kuiu, firstlite, minus 33, core4element, and icebreaker merino---none itch for me

what brand as mentioned above??

maybe an allergy to it, but i would imagine you would know by now if wool irritated your skin

Chuffness

FNG
At first they are a little itchy but not bad. After wearing it for a few minutes I don't even notice it. It is the same for all brands for me ( first lite, core4element and smartwool)

OP
Ronster

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, Ill wear it for a bit and see if it gets any better. Ive had several pair if merino socks and never had one itch.

Ronster,

WHAT BRAND IS IT? The itchiness, or lack thereof, is based on the size of the wool fibers as measuerd in microns; it is normally something like 165, 180, 210, etc. The lower the number the less itch you will have. What micron size is it.

Larry

Eagle

WKR
Ronster,

WHAT BRAND IS IT? The itchiness, or lack thereof, is based on the size of the wool fibers as measuerd in microns; it is normally something like 165, 180, 210, etc. The lower the number the less itch you will have. What micron size is it.

Larry

Larry, those numbers are the weight of the garment. The numbers that deal with "itchiness" are the microns, which I believe are the thickness of the individual wool fibers, 17.5 is generally next to skin, and some 18.5's can be worn next to skin. Anything above that is not a next to skin layer.

most of my merino has a slight itch when i first put it on and am paying attention, after a few minutes and going about whatever i usually dont notice it.

the wet dog smell when sweating or in the rain, thats another story...

rodney482

WKR
I have never had itch out of Firstlite..but have had a tad out of Redram and smartwool.