Merriam's Fans (All Gone)

hobbes

WKR
I'm doing another clean up and I've got a handful (7 or so) of Merriam's fans (not spread out) that I don't need. I always keep my own plus my kids but rarely do anything with them. They range from buff to creamy. I don't think any are snow white. They all include 6" or so worth of back feathers. Does anyone need any feathers for fly tying or anything else before I get rid of them? I'll mail at my own expense. If you need some for fly tying, I may have a rooster pheasant cape or two that I can throw in if you want that.
IMG_20220126_115706183.jpg

Laramie

WKR
Really nice offer. If I was still tying, I would take you up on it. You might be able to find some takers on fishing specific forums or maybe contact a fly shop. Might be able to get a few finished products in return. West Laramie Fly Store is one I have used for decades. https://www.flystore.net/
Good folks.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Really nice offer. If I was still tying, I would take you up on it. You might be able to find some takers on fishing specific forums or maybe contact a fly shop. Might be able to get a few finished products in return. West Laramie Fly Store is one I have used for decades. https://www.flystore.net/
Good folks.
I've got some takers on another forum with a fly tying section, so 2 or 3 are gone. Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent some to someone on here once in Canada, I think.

Laramie

WKR
I've got some takers on another forum with a fly tying section, so 2 or 3 are gone. Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent some to someone on here once in Canada, I think.
Another thought if you don't do it already - I use real turkey fans on my tom decoys. They get torn up year to year by turkeys that people don't shoot soon enough so I go through 2-3 per year. The extra realism seems to make a difference for us.
1643227182212.png 1643227374151.png

Occasionally they end up getting shot in the process of harvest as well lol
1643227303972.pngThe extra fans are nice to have around...

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Cool pictures. I've still got more, several spread out and Bondo used to hold them. However, I rarely carry a decoy now that my kids aren't kids anymore. I just hate the hassle. There are times that I wish I'd had one though.

Laramie

WKR
Cool pictures. I've still got more, several spread out and Bondo used to hold them. However, I rarely carry a decoy now that my kids aren't kids anymore. I just hate the hassle. There are times that I wish I'd had one though.
I'm the same but it's pretty rare I don't have a kid along.
They sure make for some easy shooting if a guy can call.
1643228012635.png

Sorry to derail your thread - good luck finding some takers.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I knew I had more. I've found 5 more. These cover several years, so don't get any ideas that I'm doing something illegal. I probably average 3 toms a year plus a fan here and there for a buddy and both of my boys.

Just to make sure I'm clear. I am not selling these. They are free.

DuckDogDr

WKR
My best friend ties flies and I also think it’s a good idea to place on the butt of a decoy if you still have some extra

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
My best friend ties flies and I also think it’s a good idea to place on the butt of a decoy if you still have some extra
Im getting close. I'll let you know after I go through everyone to see. You can PM your address or wait until I confirm.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Between here and a couple other forums, All the fans are spoken for from flies, to decoys, to mount repair.

I'm behind on sending them out though. I've got family in visiting, so pressed for time. Don't give up on me, I'll get them out. :)

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I'm softening up and cleaning off the feather ends so you guys can spread them easier. A lot of folks probably haven't dealt with a fan that dried closed.
IMG_20220206_152026176.jpg