Mesa Altitude or Stocky's Next Gen Ultra Carbon Hunter VG for Tikka

270wsmnutt

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advise from anyone that has had experience with either or both, Mesa Altitude or Stocky's Next Gen Ultra Carbon Hunter VG for Tikka. The Mesa weighs 24 oz (1 oz more) and with the sale is running $589 with shipping and they will inlet for my .277 Carbon Six Featherweight barrel (running about 5-6 weeks). Stockys vertical grip model is 23 oz and with sale is running $519 with shipping but would have to go with one of their two barrel inlet's (was told by salesperson that they were running a batch and would be complete in less than 2 weeks and to watch for an additional Black Friday sale). I don't want to pay that much for a stock but want a light weight, vertical grip good/last me the rest of my lifetime stock. So thanks in advance for any input.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I wrote this in other threads, but it lays out the issues with Mesa’s-

Not to be rude, however I am going to go against the grain and say- this, like almost all others, is a poorly designed stock for shooting.

This is why-

Everyone keeps dropping the recoil line below the barrel. The distance between the top of the pad and the bottom of the line is wasted recoil/muzzle lift control. The stock is actually fighting against you seeing your own impacts.

If we imagine that the barrel is perfectly level, then a stock should have a negative comb (butt pad higher than action), vertical grip, level front to back on bottom from butt pad to grip or nearly so (or at least a portion), forend level front to back.

And-

This isn’t a “I like, I think, I feel” it is a 100% statement of fact and applies to everyone, everywhere baring some extreme injury- the Mesa is one of the poorest stock designs on the market for every reason that Lawnboi stated. It is a mechanical fact that it increases muzzle rise during recoil which makes felt or perceived recoil go up, cheek slap happen, and loss of sight picture during recoil. The underside of the butt being so sloped makes the rifle slide out of position on a rest and further increases muzzle rise and cheek slap.

I have shot a lot of rounds through Mesa’s, I’ve videod through the scope, and compared them directly to other stocks on the same rifles- during recoil the Mesa has around 2-4 times as much muzzle movement for the same shooter and rifle and a properly designed stock of the same weight.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I had a 300 RUM in a Mesa Precision Arms stock for a very short period of time. What @Formidilosus said about muzzle rise was really pronounced with that combination and a 200 gr Accubond.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’m actually looking at same and while researching today I saw two other folks report actual mesa weights at 28-29oz vs the 24oz advertised. Unless something has changed I’d plan on being a tad let down in the weight department.

I have a sporter stock in the stockys CF line and actually like it. I may steer that way. Also seen actual reports of the VG variant weighing 23.5oz so pretty close to advertised.

OP
270wsmnutt

270wsmnutt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input, really glad I posted the question here before buying one! I had looked at AG as well but I think 31 oz or so and price put them out. I like a thinner grip as well and Stock's seem to be not as "clubby" as some other high dollar prone style stocks.

Blaw

WKR
Looking for advise from anyone that has had experience with either or both, Mesa Altitude or Stocky's Next Gen Ultra Carbon Hunter VG for Tikka. The Mesa weighs 24 oz (1 oz more) and with the sale is running $589 with shipping and they will inlet for my .277 Carbon Six Featherweight barrel (running about 5-6 weeks). Stockys vertical grip model is 23 oz and with sale is running $519 with shipping but would have to go with one of their two barrel inlet's (was told by salesperson that they were running a batch and would be complete in less than 2 weeks and to watch for an additional Black Friday sale). I don't want to pay that much for a stock but want a light weight, vertical grip good/last me the rest of my lifetime stock. So thanks in advance for any input.

I just ordered the stockys carbon fiber. this is the measurement of the comb to bore for the tikka ones. the VG and the hunter

The VGH is .49" and the Hunter is .67"

Blaw

WKR
just weighed my VGH 21.9OZ
its the unfinished carbon....it has some blemishes. I was told that was normal? if it was one of their painted ones I would not see it. but she said that most people use automotive clearcoat to fix that....Im going to sponge it then do so.

I've owned both. For my hand, the reach to the trigger on the stocky's stock was too far for a proper trigger finger placement.

just weighed my VGH 21.9OZ
its the unfinished carbon....it has some blemishes. I was told that was normal? if it was one of their painted ones I would not see it. but she said that most people use automotive clearcoat to fix that....Im going to sponge it then do so.
does the stockys need to be bedded or is it a simple drop in with the factory barrel if just swapping stocks?