Mesa Precision Altitude vs AG Alpine Hunter vs Axial Precision Carbon Hunter

renagde

WKR
I'm in the process of upgrading my Tikka stock. I'm not sure which replacement I want to get. All 3 of these are close to the same weight, have vertical grips, and are close to the same price. I think the Alpine Hunter probably has the highest comb which is a definite plus. I don't want to upgrade my stock and still have to use a stock pad. Anyone have experience with all three?

I know Ryan Furman was pretty high on the Axial stock, as it did both prone and standing well, whereas the other two would excel better at prone, but I suppose that's mostly personal preference.

K-Hill

FNG
I just faced the same problem and went with the Mesa Alitude over the Axial because of the comb .
The Mesa has a flat comb where the Axial has a negative like a Weatherby which doesn't give me nearly enough height to come close to seeing through the scope even with low rings.

I’ve got the MP and the AP. I should have an AH here soon.

Here are pics of the MP and AP. I lined up the center of the bore and center of bolt. The AP has a 700 clone but centerline should be about the same with a Tikka. Overall I don’t feel the MP has a higher comb than the AP.

I would buy the AP over the MP personally. The AG I expect to be more like my EH1.
Good luck shopping.
23902771-A3B7-4044-885E-4B83C9140C25.jpeg
61D1987B-B674-4161-9BD2-C87789F55E32.jpeg

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I just faced the same problem and went with the Mesa Alitude over the Axial because of the comb .
The Mesa has a flat comb where the Axial has a negative like a Weatherby which doesn't give me nearly enough height to come close to seeing through the scope even with low rings.

The height of the comb on both is nearly identical as DT shows. However, the drop at heel makes the Mesa worse at recoil control.

The Axial Precision is the best designed LW stock available for Tikkas.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR

Here are pics of the MP and AP. I lined up the center of the bore and center of bolt. The AP has a 700 clone but centerline should be about the same with a Tikka. Overall I don’t feel the MP has a higher comb than the AP.

I would buy the AP over the MP personally. The AG I expect to be more like my EH1.
Good luck shopping.
View attachment 175718
View attachment 175719
This is what I was seeing as well. I think I can get the MP for less than the other two but I don’t see much advantage vs the factory stock with a vertical grip. I feel like I could get more bang for my buck from the AP or the Axial. Thanks for the comparison.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR

Good luck shopping.
View attachment 175718
View attachment 175719
Do you know what the weight comparison is between the two? Also, what kind of recoil pad does Axial use? It looks really small compared to most.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Based on Formidilosus’s recommendation of the Axial Precision stock, I checked with them about a left hand version. Unfortunately, lefties are out of luck at this time, but, if I understood their response correctly, that might change in a year or so.

Do you know what the weight comparison is between the two? Also, what kind of recoil pad does Axial use? It looks really small compared to most.

Never weighed either. I can sometime this week though. They aren't quite the same since the Axial I installed a Spartan adapter but doesn't have sling studs, and the Mesa has studs.

As for the recoil pad I haven't checked. I haven't ever really cared what pad is on the different stocks to be honest. I believe you can get different thickness of pads from Axial if I remember correctly when I ordered. I can check to see if there is a brand on it when I get off work. I'm sure Axial would tell you also if you asked.

Regards, Branden

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Never weighed either. I can sometime this week though. They aren't quite the same since the Axial I installed a Spartan adapter but doesn't have sling studs, and the Mesa has studs.

As for the recoil pad I haven't checked. I haven't ever really cared what pad is on the different stocks to be honest. I believe you can get different thickness of pads from Axial if I remember correctly when I ordered. I can check to see if there is a brand on it when I get off work. I'm sure Axial would tell you also if you asked.

Regards, Branden
That'd be great if you could get the weights. A Alpine Hunter showed up in the classifieds but it's weighing in at nearly 32oz. That's a big difference between the 28oz they advertised, especially if the Axial comes in at the advertised weight of 24oz.

aythya

FNG
I ordered the Alpine Hunter 6 weeks ago. I'll give a update once I shoot it.

fatbacks

WKR
This is what I got from Axial regarding weight and butt pad options:

“Our stocks range from 24-25oz (with 0.5" buttpad) to 27-28oz (with 0.8" buttpad) to 30-31oz (with 1" buttpad)”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
This is what I got from Axial regarding weight and butt pad options:

“Our stocks range from 24-25oz (with 0.5" buttpad) to 27-28oz (with 0.8" buttpad) to 30-31oz (with 1" buttpad)”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. Seems like all three of these stocks are going to weigh right in at 28-32oz.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
For what it’s worth.

The weight and quality of them are all nearly equal. Weight wise you’re not really saving anything over factory, maybe two to three ounces with the AP.
From a shooting performance standpoint, the Mesa isn’t offering much. Put piece of foam and a vertical grip module on the factory rifle, and you won’t notice much difference- except it’s “nicer”. The AG Alpine Hunter does raise the heel (buttpad) which help a bit, however it just has a slightly bulky feel to it- for a dedicated LR I like it, LW not as much. The AP goes all the way- vertical grip, negative comb, inline recoil pad, and nearly parallel forend.

I try to come at these things from an objective as possible use standpoint, not what I like or prefer. What am I getting that is helping me hit targets, see splash/impacts, or stability? The Mesa’s are nice stocks and I’ve shot with them. However it’s a bunch of money for something that does not offer a measurable increase over a factory T3x stock... When there are stocks available that do help. The AP does well in a lighter rifle for multi position use.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
For what it’s worth.

The weight and quality of them are all nearly equal. Weight wise you’re not really saving anything over factory, maybe two to three ounces with the AP.
From a shooting performance standpoint, the Mesa isn’t offering much. Put piece of foam and a vertical grip module on the factory rifle, and you won’t notice much difference- except it’s “nicer”. The AG Alpine Hunter does raise the heel (buttpad) which help a bit, however it just has a slightly bulky feel to it- for a dedicated LR I like it, LW not as much. The AP goes all the way- vertical grip, negative comb, inline recoil pad, and nearly parallel forend.

I try to come at these things from an objective as possible use standpoint, not what I like or prefer. What am I getting that is helping me hit targets, see splash/impacts, or stability? The Mesa’s are nice stocks and I’ve shot with them. However it’s a bunch of money for something that does not offer a measurable increase over a factory T3x stock... When there are stocks available that do help. The AP does well in a lighter rifle for multi position use.
I appreciate your valued opinion. Your assessment is pretty much what I was thinking in my head, I was just hoping to hear real world experiences from people that have actually handled them so this is good stuff! Sounds like the AP ticks all the boxes that I'm looking for, I'll have to give them a call. Thanks for the information!

Any more updates on these stocks? I am looking at building a tikka in 300 win mag. These are the stocks I am choosing between as well as the Mcmillan Game Hunter. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Would love to hear about most recent thoughts on these.
Thanks

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Any more updates on these stocks? I am looking at building a tikka in 300 win mag. These are the stocks I am choosing between as well as the Mcmillan Game Hunter. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Would love to hear about most recent thoughts on these.
Thanks
I ended up going with a McMillan Game Hunter. I was able to find a used one exactly how I wanted it so no lead time and a little cheaper option. I love the stock, although I can't compare it to either the AG or the Axial stocks. I will say that the comb height on the McMillan is higher than the Mesa Precision Altitude. I don't think I would spend my money on the Altitude.