Mesa Precision Altitude vs AG Alpine Hunter vs Axial Precision Carbon Hunter

I guess I am one of the few very happy with my MP Altitude. It’s very stiff and its recoil pad is wider than any other I have used that mitigates recoil nicely. It is on a t3x I have rebored to 338 wm.

I hear a lot of talk about high comb height. Maybe it’s because I never shoot prone since the vegetation I am usually in doesn’t allow, but I appreciate some height difference between my shoulder and bore axis that is only 1.5” below my eye.

HUNTER100

Lil-Rokslider
I must also be one of the few, bc I love mine as well. And the drop at heel doesn't seem to affect recoil for me either.... and I'm running mine on a 6.2 lb 300 win. I'd buy another without reservation.

Ram94

WKR
Same here! I find slight drop at the heel a good compromise between comfortable standing/sitting shots and comfort while shooting prone. Just my opinion. But I am very happy with the Mesa. Excellent fit and finish and very comfortable to get behind.

rootacres

WKR
I'm in the process of upgrading my Tikka stock. I'm not sure which replacement I want to get. All 3 of these are close to the same weight, have vertical grips, and are close to the same price. I think the Alpine Hunter probably has the highest comb which is a definite plus. I don't want to upgrade my stock and still have to use a stock pad. Anyone have experience with all three?

I know Ryan Furman was pretty high on the Axial stock, as it did both prone and standing well, whereas the other two would excel better at prone, but I suppose that's mostly personal preference.

I don't have experience with all 3, Im sure they are all great, but I have to say the Axial (now Alterra Arms) stocks are awesome. The negative comb, rigidity, finish, etc are great. Above that the company is awesome. I received a phone call before manufacturing to confirm exact barrel specs and then received a follow up call just to make sure I was happy once I received it. What companies call you to make sure you're happy with what you bought? Especially after only spending $600? Basically none, I spent $45k on a truck and chevy only calls me to try to sell a warranty. A+ for Axial.

Last edited:
OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I don't have experience with all 3, Im sure they are all great, but I have to say the Axial (now Alterra Arms) stocks are awesome. The negative comb, rigidity, finish, etc are great. Above that the company is awesome. I received a phone call before manufacturing to confirm exact barrel specs and then received a follow up call just to make sure I was happy once I received it. What companies call you to make sure you're happy with what you bought? Especially after only spending $600? Basically none, I spent $45k on a truck and chevy only calls me to try to sell a warranty. A+ for Axial.
I agree. I spoke with them on the phone as well and had some email communication back and forth. Did you have to have yours inverted at all for the action? I’ve heard a few reports where you still had to fit the action to the stock to get a good fit. And AG stocks are the worst for that. Not sure if that affects Mesa stocks or if they do their own in letting.

My first pick would have been the Axial had I not been able to find a used McMillan for quite a bit less than a new one.

fatbacks

WKR
After hunting with my Axial (now Alterra) this season I would 100% recommend it. I have the plain black and it took a beating with 10 days backpack hunting in the Brooks Range, 5 days backpack hunting and a week jet boat based hunting in the interior of Alaska... still looks new when I wipe it down.

Also have the Mesa and like it as well - only took it on one hunt but seems to fit my wife's shooting style well.

rootacres

WKR
I agree. I spoke with them on the phone as well and had some email communication back and forth. Did you have to have yours inverted at all for the action? I’ve heard a few reports where you still had to fit the action to the stock to get a good fit. And AG stocks are the worst for that. Not sure if that affects Mesa stocks or if they do their own in letting.

My first pick would have been the Axial had I not been able to find a used McMillan for quite a bit less than a new one.

So when you get it, it’ll come with two oversized pillars that your smith will cut down and use to bed the action. I’m sure all smiths have a slightly difference way of doing things but I had my action fully bedded. It’s a Bighorn Origin SA.

Bamajon

FNG
Does anyone have any experience with bedding the Axial stock or fitting with a Mountain Tactical bottom metal on a Tikka?

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you that have an Alterra Stock(axial), what scope objective size did you go with? Do you feel you get good cheek wield with chosen size. I just ordered a stock, and am looking at a 52mm objective, and wondering if it will work, or if I should be looking at something a bit smaller.

fatbacks

WKR
Does anyone have any experience with bedding the Axial stock or fitting with a Mountain Tactical bottom metal on a Tikka?
You need to do more than just bed the pillars and recoil lug (which is what I did). I did not do a full length bedding job and the recoil lug cracked and went into the foam fill. Discovered this when accuracy fell off. Alterra/Axial said tough luck and they wouldn't repair because they did not bed it in the first place. If getting one of their stocks I would have them bed it. I've heard they do a great job and then you won't be in my position with an expensive piece of foam filled carbon fiber.