Mesa Precision Arms Carbon Fiber Altitude Stock

eamyrick

WKR
The guys at Mesa Precision just announced their new Carbon Altitude Stock which folks have been discussing over on the custom Tikka thread. I gave them a call today and told them I would pass on the details here. There is also going to be an option for a potential Rokslide group buy when the stocks are ready towards the end of March. I'll add more info on that when I get it. Details on the stock-

-Manufactured by AG Composites (solid stocks used by many custom makers, Barrett Fieldcraft etc)
-Approximately 24oz
-No caliber restrictions
-Options for large diameter Proof barrels and factory Tikka offerings
-Future DBM options but currently for factory Tikka bottom metal (MT bottom metal replacements are supposed to fit)
-Drop-in compatible with standard Tikka actions
-Options with included lug and add on lug for re barreled actions
-Colors available on the Mesa Precision Arms website

Mesa Precision.PNG

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add that AG Composites stocks are the best in the business. You can't go wrong with any of their products.

That being said, I don't see how that can get this down to 24oz. That's the weight of their lightest stock, the privateer, which doesn't have the cheek riser or vertical grip.

BigDog00

WKR
So would this "potential" group buy be only for the tikkas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
I'll add that AG Composites stocks are the best in the business. You can't go wrong with any of their products.

That being said, I don't see how that can get this down to 24oz. That's the weight of their lightest stock, the privateer, which doesn't have the cheek riser or vertical grip.

I was also scratching my head on that one. Maybe it's the weight without recoil pad?

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
I was also scratching my head on that one. Maybe it's the weight without recoil pad?

I’ll confirm this. They have some on hand now but are doing the full release until they can fill orders. I may just send my Tikka and MT bottom metal in and we will get a real world estimate.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
So would this "potential" group buy be only for the tikkas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

John stated that a Rokslide group buy could include Remington actions also. When he gets the initial shipments we will work out the numbers on how many we will need for a group buy.

FURMAN

WKR
I have the altitude in a long 700 inlet. Painted it weighs 25oz. I see no problem getting that weight to 24oz with no paint. It is a great stock and will be an awesome option for a Tikka build.

DRD

FNG
Have the Altitude on my Mesa Crux. Great fit finish and ergonomics. This is good news.

pchrisla

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome. I currently run the ag composites alpine hunter, but at 31 oz I'll be ordering this for my 300 win mag and moving the alpine to my whitetail 6.5 PRC. I love the look and weight.

Sled

WKR
thanks for doing the leg work. I've been waiting for a stock with these specs. please keep us informed.

Before I jump to all the wrong conclusions...

Is this thing high enough in the cheek to almost warrant notching for the bolt?

Sled

WKR
Before I jump to all the wrong conclusions...

Is this thing high enough in the cheek to almost warrant notching for the bolt?
Looks low enough from the photo. Another half inch and it'd be a problem I'd bet.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not to be rude, however I am going to go against the grain and say- this, like almost all others, is a poorly designed stock for shooting.

This is why-

Everyone keeps dropping the recoil line below the barrel. The distance between the top of the pad and the bottom of the line is wasted recoil/muzzle lift control. The stock is actually fighting against you seeing your own impacts.

If we imagine that the barrel is perfectly level, then a stock should have a negative comb (butt pad higher than action), vertical grip, level front to back on bottom from butt pad to grip or nearly so (or at least a portion), forend level front to back.

Ridiculously the factory T3x stock with vertical grip installed still has probably the best function of any of them.