Mesa Precision Arms Carbon Fiber Altitude Stock

As the owner of two tikkas and debating between an XLR chassis or this, I'd love to see more pictures and/or receive feedback regarding your purchase. Would you do it again? Is it missing anything? Anything you would change or didn't consider?

Guys, for the questions about comb height. I run a Bushnell 6500 2.5x16x42 with Hawkins Hybrid rings. I was hoping to not have to use a stock pack with this setup, but the rings are higher than I imagined. With a stock pack the rifle is perfect when offhand and a little low when prone but not enough to affect accuracy. Possibly May end up with lower rings. Probably would have aimed for a McMillan with adj cheek piece if I had this info before. This stock is as good as my McMillan’s, I just didn’t want to have to run a stock pack. Really light stiff setup for a Tikka.

Guys, for the questions about comb height. I run a Bushnell 6500 2.5x16x42 with Hawkins Hybrid rings. I was hoping to not have to use a stock pack with this setup, but the rings are higher than I imagined. With a stock pack the rifle is perfect when offhand and a little low when prone but not enough to affect accuracy. Possibly May end up with lower rings. Probably would have aimed for a McMillan with adj cheek piece if I had this info before. This stock is as good as my McMillan’s, I just didn’t want to have to run a stock pack. Really light stiff setup for a Tikka.
Would talley lows work better, you think?

khuber84

WKR
As the owner of two tikkas and debating between an XLR chassis or this, I'd love to see more pictures and/or receive feedback regarding your purchase. Would you do it again? Is it missing anything? Anything you would change or didn't consider?
I've got a Mesa altitude, a jcs composites tactical, and an xlr element 3.0 magnesium on order. The thing I like about the xlr is the magazine will got to 3.45 inside. Which is perfect for saums and wsm throated long for heavies, or say a 7 blaser. Here is my newest in the Mesa stock. It's a 300wsm w/ 23.5" hells canyon summit barrel in 1:9.5, it weighs 6.5# w/o optics and 8# on the nose with the new vortex razor hd lht.

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_194149_006.jpg
    IMG_20200417_194149_006.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20200421_153522_466.jpg
    IMG_20200421_153522_466.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_20200421_153524_592.jpg
    IMG_20200421_153524_592.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 247
I've got a Mesa altitude, a jcs composites tactical, and an xlr element 3.0 magnesium on order. The thing I like about the xlr is the magazine will got to 3.45 inside. Which is perfect for saums and wsm throated long for heavies, or say a 7 blaser. Here is my newest in the Mesa stock. It's a 300wsm w/ 23.5" hells canyon summit barrel in 1:9.5, it weighs 6.5# w/o optics and 8# on the nose with the new vortex razor hd lht.

JCS is another one I’ve been thinking about, and Jay (co-owner) is local. How does it stack up to the Mesa? How do you like the Mesa? Prefer one or the other?

khuber84

WKR
JCS is another one I’ve been thinking about, and Jay (co-owner) is local. How does it stack up to the Mesa? How do you like the Mesa? Prefer one or the other?
I prefer the ergos of the jcs to the Mesa, however the inlet finish was far superior on the Mesa, basically had to hand finish the jcs for decent fitment. The jcs is almost identical to a manners eh1. They don't have much of a recoil pad tho. All in all, I'll probably prefer the chassis to either as I shoot my prs rigs more than anything.

I prefer the ergos of the jcs to the Mesa, however the inlet finish was far superior on the Mesa, basically had to hand finish the jcs for decent fitment. The jcs is almost identical to a manners eh1. They don't have much of a recoil pad tho. All in all, I'll probably prefer the chassis to either as I shoot my prs rigs more than anything.
That is phenomenal "insider info"! Thanks very much for sharing. Pm'd you man.

Jordan86

FNG
E656661B-8A41-4806-9879-4A73D086D641.jpeg
Finished off my first season with the Altitude Stock on a late cow hunt. Did a lot of long range shooting over the summer, still hunted in timber, and hunted on open the prairie. Took down 4 big game critters with shots ranging from 100 yards to 500 yards. I can’t say enough great things about this stock. I’m debating putting another custom Tikka together with the same stock.

jt4

WKR
What’s the recommendation on bedding the Mesa stock? Is it a necessity or not needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine shot lights out unbedded with American Gunner 140gr. It’s a great stock if it fits you and what you are looking for.

Jordan86

FNG
What’s the recommendation on bedding the Mesa stock? Is it a necessity or not needed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It may not be necessary, depending on the gun. Mine was shooting well without bedding but, I went ahead and bedded mine anyways. A pretty inexpensive addition to a nice stock like the Altitude.

12wander

FNG
Does anyone know if they got the updated molds done to solve The hit or miss inletting issues with Tikka actions and bottom meta?

khuber84

WKR
Does anyone know if they got the updated molds done to solve The hit or miss inletting issues with Tikka actions and bottom meta?
Give them a call and ask? What are the issues? I kmow the pillar length is pretty long on tbr Tikka inlet as my action screws don't have a lot of engagement.

khuber84

WKR
Anyone have the ability to measure the forend length from recoil lug to tip on a short action? Trying to figure how long an arca rail I'll need to get from SRS.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone have the ability to measure the forend length from recoil lug to tip on a short action? Trying to figure how long an arca rail I'll need to get from SRS.
Unfortunately not SA but I will have an XM apart this week and can take a measurement. Or just call the dudes at Mesa, very helpful staff in my experience.

Are you guys all bedding these on t3xs? Or is that just a bonus for increasing accuracy? New to this and don't have a reliable gunsmith and would have to do it my self.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Are you guys all bedding these on t3xs? Or is that just a bonus for increasing accuracy? New to this and don't have a reliable gunsmith and would have to do it my self.
My gunsmith said it had great contact and didn't bed mine, he recommended I shoot it and only skim bed if I notice an inconsistency. It's my best shooting rifle.