Mesa Precision Arms Carbon Fiber Altitude Stock

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Not to be rude, however I am going to go against the grain and say- this, like almost all others, is a poorly designed stock for shooting.

This is why-

Everyone keeps dropping the recoil line below the barrel. The distance between the top of the pad and the bottom of the line is wasted recoil/muzzle lift control. The stock is actually fighting against you seeing your own impacts.

If we imagine that the barrel is perfectly level, then a stock should have a negative comb (butt pad higher than action), vertical grip, level front to back on bottom from butt pad

Here is how my rifle bore lines up on the back of the stock. I measure 1/2" drop at the cheek and 1-1/4" at the heel. There is a slight negative along the "hump"; I'm getting 9/16" at the front and 7/16" at the rear.

Mesa Line.jpg

I admit that I thought there was a bit of a cheek rise hump when I ordered the stock. I now realize that the drop at the heel just makes it look that way.

I'm not a voice of experience, but I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express, and at the Gunwerks shooting class they taught that you want a slight negative where your cheek rests so that the recoil will tend to move the stock down from your cheek, not up into it. From my measurements this stock looks like it should do that. We did not talk about the heel since none of the stocks there had heel drop.

As far as the heel drop, John (at Mesa)'s explanation (way above in this topic) makes sense to me but I won't know until I try; I'm really looking forward to shooting this one.

Last edited:

renagde

WKR
I admit that I thought there was a bit of a cheek rise hump when I ordered the stock. I now realize that the drop at the heel just makes it look that way.

Do you still get a good cheek weld? I also always thought that the cheek rise would come up further than that. The reason I wanted to go with this stock is so I could have a repeatable cheek weld without the foam pad but if it's still not high enough then I might just modify the factory stock.

khuber84

WKR
Do you still get a good cheek weld? I also always thought that the cheek rise would come up further than that. The reason I wanted to go with this stock is so I could have a repeatable cheek weld without the foam pad but if it's still not high enough then I might just modify the factory stock.
In my experiences with this stock, keep the objective 50mm or less and run in lowest rings possible. I have high cheek bones so my eye is lower than a lot of peoples. This setup works fine in a standing/sitting/kneeling position. However, in prone I find myself holding a cheek contact point a bit higher than normal for proper eyebox alignment.

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider
Someone talk me out of selling my Weatherby backcountry and buying a Tikka T3 Lite and dropping it in this mesa altitude stock. Would be running a Leupold Vx3i LRP 6.5-20x50 in Talley lightweight (probably medium height needed) rings. Do it or no?

Lawnboi

WKR
Someone talk me out of selling my Weatherby backcountry and buying a Tikka T3 Lite and dropping it in this mesa altitude stock. Would be running a Leupold Vx3i LRP 6.5-20x50 in Talley lightweight (probably medium height needed) rings. Do it or no?

Throw in an aftermarket bottom metal, and some Hawkins long range hybrid rings and that sounds like a great setup.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
I still have to get to the range; just got the scope on. Will report back.

Mine arrived today. Discount code still worked too. Stock looks great and feels really stiff and solid. Gonna rest it this week and see how it shoots. Seems like a good value for the price compared to other options.

khuber84

WKR
Mine arrived today. Discount code still worked too. Stock looks great and feels really stiff and solid. Gonna rest it this week and see how it shoots. Seems like a good value for the price compared to other options.
What's the discount code?

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider
Got off work this evening and there was a surprise waiting for me. Didn’t have much time to play with it. I did get my 6.5-06 ai installed. Pretty decent fit overall.
92051cd795b8ca070569132ed8aca1e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abosulte beut! What optic is that?