Mesa Precision Arms Crux Carbon Hunter Rifle Build and Review

Roksliders, the Mesa Altitude stock is really impressing me. It is super light, but still very stiff.

Now the stock is available inletted for either Remington OR Tikka! John at Mesa told me the Tikka stocks are a few ounces heavier than the Remington version coming in around 28ish ounces.

Right now you can buy one from Mesa with discount code ROK at checkout and get a cool $50 discount!

If you are looking for an upgrade or putting together your own build, check it out.

FYI i've got two of them in the shop for Tikkas right now and they're both 31 oz.

Mike

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Man I wish this was in my budget!!

The value is pretty good with a full Mesa Precision build, but if you like the features, but can’t spring for a full build, check out the Mesa components to upgrade an existing rifle, or for your own build.

I have been really happy with the Crux so far, and will keep updating this thread.

wjm1776

FNG
Great looking rifle. I appreciate the info on the rifle, build, and review. I’m looking at building a similar set up and this is a great source of info.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Great looking rifle. I appreciate the info on the rifle, build, and review. I’m looking at building a similar set up and this is a great source of info.

Thanks! Whether it is components or a complete rifle, Mesa Precision is a great choice!

Keep an eye out for the full final review here on Rokslide.

tuscan

FNG
Mesa built one for me in 6.5PRC with a 22 inch Proof CF Sendero light. First 5 shot group with it, using Hornady factory Match ammo was .43MOA, including the cold barrel shot and with a TBAC Ultra 7 on it. Mine was a similar set up but with a Ti short action, and they accommodated some personal preferences for a different brake (to make swapping the silencer faster/easier) and we eliminated the rail using Hawkins low rings. They put my March 3-24x42 on top. I've never had such light rifle. Oh, and they made it in 4 weeks. First game animal with it was an aoudad at 320 yards, taken from my knees with the support of a Spartan Sentinel tripod. I could not be happier with the whole project, including the time they spent answering my questions up front and all the modifications we discussed. They even took me to the range to help get me sighted in and gather data. John and Chad are first rate, and they are building as good an ultralight hunting rifle as can be had at any price. Others makers promote out of the box 1000 yard systems, and this rifle is every bit as good. With 5 shots to gather data at the 100 yard range, we then went to the longer range and made first round impacts at 400, 600, 800 on 12 inch plates, and then at 1000 on a full ipsc, all taken laying prone with a Javelin bipod and a sweatshirt for a rear rest. I was worried that a lightweight rifle would mean less precision at long range - but I don't worry about that anymore.

Matt- great review; I've slowly been parting together a similar build, some slightly different components. What did you come out at with a finished weight with the MK5?

Question for OP. Did you order a prefit barrel for the mesa action? If so which one? Or did you have a smith fit it for you?