Messed up, stuck in GMU 104 in colorado. Anyone know a trespass fee i could pay?

Well, I messed up. I messed up my and my wife's doe draw and ended up with a couple of licenses for GMU 104. It was my last choice and i was tired and was looking at something else or something, not really sure. However it happened, I put in for the wrong code, and i dont remember what i was even trying for. The rest were all near gmu 19. Anyway, we ended up with licenses in this private land only unit and i have no idea what to do from here.

I was already trying to find a local mentor, and now i need to try to figure out private land owners.

Does anybody have some tips? Id like to try to make this hunt work if I can, but i do know that i can surrender the licenses up to 30 days before. If you know of anyone knows about a landowner that will take a reasonable trespass fee to let us hunt there, it would help us out a lot.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

OP
T
That’s tough. 104 is where I jokingly tell non residents to apply since it’s so convenient from the airport.
Its no good, thats for sure. I hope i can fond a land owner somewhere in there to let me hunt. Otherwise, no venison for another dang year, i guess. Welp, that's how it goes, i guess.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you happen to be a member of the gun club in Watkins? If so you might find a lead through there.

OP
T
Try contacting any outfits in the unit?
Thanks for the input! Ill keep looking but honestly tge prices these guys charge frequently scare me off. If i could afford an outfitter I would probably have just done that. Maybe some outfitter will know somebody that they direct less moneyed folks to.

Do you happen to be a member of the gun club in Watkins? If so you might find a lead through there.
Im not, too rich for my blood im afraid. Its not too easy getting back into this when youve had a rough few years financially haha. Thanks for the advice though.

Turn the tag in. Done deal.

I think you may be right. I might just start practicing my archery and see about doing archery antelope instead. Im not bad but i wasnt planning on doing archery this year. If not, oh well, ill take the missus out or sonething. Maybe ill just fill the freezer with goose and rabbit.

OP
T
I just looked at onx. No way I’d keep that tag. Turn it in and play the returned tag game.
Yikes, that bad huh? Dang.
I’d turn it in, try for a reissue tag or go OTC elk.
I probably will. Id love to go for elk but i have 3 concerns and no ready answer for any of them.

1) no 4 wheel drive vehicle at the moment, thanks to a drunk and a less than helpful imsurance claim. Not sure where the elk units i could get to would be.

2) no 4 wheeler to haul out tons of elk meat and i dont know anyone whose going for them this year, so if that changes i could probably make it work. No horse either. I could do it manually but boy does that aound like a hard day.

3) little less rifle than i would want for elk. I built a couple 6.5 grendel uppers for the wife and I since were already familiar with ar's and dont currently have anything bigger. Built em specifically for deer and antelope. Although a couple of T&C compasses or savage axis rifles in creedmoor or .30-06 probably wouldnt break the bank. I know 6.5 gr is legal for elk but id feel better hunting one with a slug gun at that point. Just doesnt feel like enough power for a clean kill and im a good shot, not a sharpshooter. Man's gotta know his limitations.

If im mistakenly thinking any of ths please let me know.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@TheGingerBeardMan yes, it’s bad virtually no public and most land owners are extremely selective at best. Hard part is there is some great bucks there.
I had pictures of an albino doe in there.

Yikes, that bad huh? Dang.

I probably will. Id love to go for elk but i have 3 concerns and no ready answer for any of them.

1) no 4 wheel drive vehicle at the moment, thanks to a drunk and a less than helpful imsurance claim. Not sure where the elk units i could get to would be.

2) no 4 wheeler to haul out tons of elk meat and i dont know anyone whose going for them this year, so if that changes i could probably make it work. No horse either. I could do it manually but boy does that aound like a hard day.

3) little less rifle than i would want for elk. I built a couple 6.5 grendel uppers for the wife and I since were already familiar with ar's and dont currently have anything bigger. Built em specifically for deer and antelope. Although a couple of T&C compasses or savage axis rifles in creedmoor or .30-06 probably wouldnt break the bank. I know 6.5 gr is legal for elk but id feel better hunting one with a slug gun at that point. Just doesnt feel like enough power for a clean kill and im a good shot, not a sharpshooter. Man's gotta know his limitations.

If im mistakenly thinking any of ths please let me know.
1. I don’t think 4wd is necessary for a lot of units. Carry some chains and be cautious about where you drive. Lots of well maintained roads.
2. Stay within 1/2 mile or so of the road. If you ended up with a bull down, bone out the meat and take multiple trips to get it out. Likely cold enough that you could do it over two days.
3. I don’t know much about the Grendel, but something like this would get the job done. https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...lt-action-rifle-270-winchester-22in/p/1638404

It’s definitely doable with the two of you. The odds aren’t very high, but you’d be out hunting.

OP
T
@TheGingerBeardMan yes, it’s bad virtually no public and most land owners are extremely selective at best. Hard part is there is some great bucks there.
I had pictures of an albino doe in there.
Such a bummer, but it is what it is. Someone in that area died and left a huge ranch, maybe i can reach out to the realtor and contact next of kin who dont live there.
1. I don’t think 4wd is necessary for a lot of units. Carry some chains and be cautious about where you drive. Lots of well maintained roads.
2. Stay within 1/2 mile or so of the road. If you ended up with a bull down, bone out the meat and take multiple trips to get it out. Likely cold enough that you could do it over two days.
3. I don’t know much about the Grendel, but something like this would get the job done. https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...lt-action-rifle-270-winchester-22in/p/1638404

It’s definitely doable with the two of you. The odds aren’t very high, but you’d be out hunting.
Thanks kindly! That's interesting, I'll have to think about that.

Dirtbag

WKR
I grew up in 104 and 105, access can be tough, but I bet you could get on some private making a few calls or knocking on doors, especially with doe tags, both units have incredible quality of deer. It may lead you to a property you would want to have a buck tag for in the future.

Ratbeetle

WKR
How fit are you? I can tell you where to find archery OTC bulls from a trailhead you can drive a Prius to. But you better be in damn good shape to pack one out.

OP
T
Start knocking on doors; a few folks I know have found access in that unit and have a blast every year. THOSE are the honey holes you never share.
Thats what the next few months hold for me i think. Just gotta pound oavement and make some cold calls.
I grew up in 104 and 105, access can be tough, but I bet you could get on some private making a few calls or knocking on doors, especially with doe tags, both units have incredible quality of deer. It may lead you to a property you would want to have a buck tag for in the future.
I think ive gotta give it a shot, right? If it gets to close to the chopping block, i'll consider returning the tags. Im not 100 percent sure of how it works but i think i can only have one *antlered* tag at a time but i could get a doe tag somewhere else otc anyway.

Dirtbag

WKR
Thats what the next few months hold for me i think. Just gotta pound oavement and make some cold calls.

I think ive gotta give it a shot, right? If it gets to close to the chopping block, i'll consider returning the tags. Im not 100 percent sure of how it works but i think i can only have one *antlered* tag at a time but i could get a doe tag somewhere else otc anyway.
Start trying to get access now, dont wait till a week before the season. You'll have much better luck.

OP
T
How fit are you? I can tell you where to find archery OTC bulls from a trailhead you can drive a Prius to. But you better be in damn good shape to pack one out.
Ive got damaged lungs but not a week ago i helped the wife's uncle chop and move about 25 trees. I think I moved about 6 or 7 tons of logs on my shoulder and back. I did all the brainard lake and associated Indian Peaks lakes trails the other day after spending about 10 days at sea level and didnt struggle too bad. Im not sure if thats fit enough or not, youd probably know better than me.

OP
T
Start trying to get access now, dont wait till a week before the season. You'll have much better luck.
Yep! Thats what I mean, i'm gonna see what I can find. Cold calls ans door knocking. Not gonna be fun dressing up a little more than I like to in summer, but itll be good to make a good impression. Wax the car, the whole bit. Nobody wants a slackjawed greaseball stumping around their back yard.