MetRx Big 100 bars

KHNC

WKR
With all the talk lately about energy bars, and my september elk trip approaching again, I decided to do a little more research on my options. I have had the MetRX bars in chocolate chip cookie dough .. Extremely good but will melt in the heat. Ended up getting a box of 9 in Vanilla Caramel Churro and also a box of Chocolate Chocolate chunk. Anyone use these much? 30-32g of protein and less sugar than Clif OR mtn ops performance bars. Looks good to me. Amazon has them both for under 18.00 per box of 9.

Last edited:

marktole

WKR
Chocolate chip Clif bar, 21g of sugar as per a google search.

MetRX Big 100 Super Cookie Crunch Bar, 27g of sugar as per a google search.

Too much sugar for me to be eating 2-3 times a day while back pack hunting. I like to use quest bars for protein and find other carb dedicated sources that aren't as sugary, like instant oatmeal (NOT the flavored stuff) that I just add some water to.

They are damn delicious when I decide to use them here and there though...and fairly cheap.

TheCougar

WKR
I used them last year. Most protein bars use artificial sweeteners, but on a hard hunt I want the calories that the Big 100 bars provide. There’s protein, fats, and carbs in there. They will be in my pack again this year.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Chocolate chip Clif bar, 21g of sugar as per a google search.

MetRX Big 100 Super Cookie Crunch Bar, 27g of sugar as per a google search.

Too much sugar for me to be eating 2-3 times a day while back pack hunting. I like to use quest bars for protein and find other carb dedicated sources that aren't as sugary, like instant oatmeal (NOT the flavored stuff) that I just add some water to.

They are damn delicious when I decide to use them here and there though...and fairly cheap.
Quest makes a good bar too. Forgot about those. One thing to note in comparison to CLIF builder bars, the Metx is about 40g larger bar overall. I have the nutrition chart on the CLIF and it shows 17g of sugar on the chocolate peanut butter. Not sure about the 21g you found. Ill double check.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Also , its worth noting the Vanilla Carmel Churro only has 22g of sugar in the Big 100 size.

marktole

WKR
Quest makes a good bar too. Forgot about those. One thing to note in comparison to CLIF builder bars, the Metx is about 40g larger bar overall. I have the nutrition chart on the CLIF and it shows 17g of sugar on the chocolate peanut butter. Not sure about the 21g you found. Ill double check.

It was 21g for chocolate chip, you found 17g of sugar on chocolate peanut butter. Doesn’t really matter much.

The point I was trying to convey is that most of those bars are packed with sugar to get caloric density per weight. And that I would rather be using a more complex carb source than sugar if at all possible given the limits of weight and space for a back pack hunt. Although, that isn’t always possible and I definitely do use clif, big 100, pro bars, and green belly bars to make sure I’m getting enough calories while hunting if I get sick of eating oatmeal and whatever else.

Block

WKR
If you aren’t worried about sugar, try the Promax double fudge brownie. Often 10 for $10 at Ralph’s or Vons.