Mexico Desert Bighorn - Here We Go!

I'm jealous of anyone hunting desert sheep in Mexico. Kotaman did you shoot your ram off water or spot and stalk?

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats, I can only add to what has been said about bringing back the cape, be sure there are NO TICKS. US customs will check it and take it if they find any. Skull needs to be free of flesh and Brain matter also. Lastly, as for safety I’ve never had a bad experience in Mexico, I live in Arizona and have been down an uncountable amount of times.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Congrats, I can only add to what has been said about bringing back the cape, be sure there are NO TICKS. US customs will check it and take it if they find any. Skull needs to be free of flesh and Brain matter also. Lastly, as for safety I’ve never had a bad experience in Mexico, I live in Arizona and have been down an uncountable amount of times.
I won’t be bringing any of it home myself. They have a broker that will deal with all the cape/skull prep and paperwork. $1000 and 6 months - the waiting will be the hard part! I’m just looking at it as more time to stash away for the mount and reproduction horns I want.

As far as the meat goes: My dad went on the cheapest dalls hunt I've ever heard of. He picked up a 3/4 paid for cancellation hunt. I know animals are different depending on species and area, but I thought I'd share. He's a rancher and super picky about meat. I mean, everything I grew up on was pretty much from the garden, home raised, or he'd buy Japanese grade beef. We'd butcher all our own chickens and an uncle took care of the pork.

He thought dalls was the best meat he'd ever eaten for his tastes. He's kind of a grump, so that has nothing to do with how much he paid. He described it as the best of pork mixed with the best of beef. However, he's not a foodie and bad at describing things. They ate like 1/3 of it at camp (which is disgusting), and he gave the rest to a family who needed it. So I never got to try any. I specifically remember him saying the ribs were amazing. The guide packed them out bone in because he liked them so much.

I also used to work with a near retirement range conservationist who had hunted all over. He told me the best wild meat he'd ever had was sheep meat. He'd had dalls, one rocky, and a few desert bighorns. I'm into cooking, so I asked him about this. The worst was aoudad sheep. "Worse than old bull longhorn." For a laugh, he was mad because he'd never drawn a bighorn tag (his wife and two daughters had), but he'd drawn 3 mountain goat tags. He had one set of the horns pinned up in his cubicle. "I never want to hunt a mountain goat again, but you have to send in."

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty cool reading through the answers as I had a lot of the same questions.

I too was a lucky winner of a Mexico desert sheep hunt but through Epic Outdoors. I'm not sure it has even kicked in yet.

Figured I'd piggy back on your thread if you don't mind instead of making a new one. Was curious if there was anything that people didn't bring that they really wish they had. On the flip side, was there anything they brought that served zero purpose except taking up space and weight.

Good luck to you and congrats!!

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Pretty cool reading through the answers as I had a lot of the same questions.

I too was a lucky winner of a Mexico desert sheep hunt but through Epic Outdoors. I'm not sure it has even kicked in yet.

Figured I'd piggy back on your thread if you don't mind instead of making a new one. Was curious if there was anything that people didn't bring that they really wish they had. On the flip side, was there anything they brought that served zero purpose except taking up space and weight.

Good luck to you and congrats!!

Congrats! Let’s do it! When’s your hunt?

Kody M

FNG
Any update on your hunts? I just got my name pulled on a drawing at the expo in Salt Lake last weekend. I'm also with Wade. He was sayin that I'll be down there Feb of '23. I don't have much information yet other than where and a vague when. I'm gonna be following this post.

Jonesry09 or​

tam9492

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Congrats! Nothing too new here. I’ve stayed in pretty regular contact with Madean, Wade’s wife. We will schedule dates next month. They only schedule dates a year out. I’m also hoping for Feb. ‘23 dates! In the meantime, I’m working out and stashing funds for tips, import and taxidermy.

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
@Kody M I went on my hunt Dec 1 of this year. Was the 1st person in camp and ended up shooting a very nice ram on day 1. Feel free to DM me with any specific questions you have that I can help answer.

Kody M

FNG
@Kody M I went on my hunt Dec 1 of this year. Was the 1st person in camp and ended up shooting a very nice ram on day 1. Feel free to DM me with any specific questions you have that I can help answer.
I gotta wait till I'm not a newbie member before I can dm but I most definitely will thanks. Let's see some pics!