Michigan early season with kids, feedback needed please

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I have few question that I need your help to answer them, but first allow me to share with you our most recent hunting experience.
This weekend was our opening day for the season, I went with my young boys, we sat in our little hide in the morning, had an encounter but no clear shot.
Later in the day we practiced walking in the woods using stealth mode. The boys did great, they enjoyed it, even gave me feedback on how to walk properly, we traced tons of deer tracks and had couple of other encounters but no shots. It was great experience, the boys wanted to stay more, but we had to go back to work and school. We plan on going back again and this time we need better preparation.
If anyone have answers to any of these questions we thank you first and highly appreciate your reply:
1- Anyone have recommendation on how to block or decrease insect/mosquito bits. We tried dressing up 2 layers , full masks and sprayed our clothing with mosquito repellent, but they get to us no matter what we try .
2-Any recommendation for kids hunting clothes?
3-Anyone tried tree stand with kids, what do you think?

Thank you all

Hello. Have you tried a thermacell for the mosquitoes? I use one and it seems to work pretty well. Might be worth a look.

I need some camo for my boys too. So I'm looking forward to replies on that.

I have had my 10 year old 20' up in a treestand before. I would absolutely not do it unless you have a safety harness with a climbing lifeline. My favorite stands are lower height double ladder stands. Otherwise, I will hang two hanging stands next to each other. I think it helps keep their movement out of the direct sight line of deer.

Good luck!

burns152

FNG
1. I would echo the 180splitg3 with the thermacell. Seems to help out with bugs.
2. Dunhams usually has some decent deals on kids Camo if you don't care about it being top end stuff.
3. I hunted ladder stands as a kid in MI quite a bit. The two man stand work well for an adult and a kid.
Best of luck this season!

Tod osier

WKR
I have few question that I need your help to answer them, but first allow me to share with you our most recent hunting experience.
This weekend was our opening day for the season, I went with my young boys, we sat in our little hide in the morning, had an encounter but no clear shot.
Later in the day we practiced walking in the woods using stealth mode. The boys did great, they enjoyed it, even gave me feedback on how to walk properly, we traced tons of deer tracks and had couple of other encounters but no shots. It was great experience, the boys wanted to stay more, but we had to go back to work and school. We plan on going back again and this time we need better preparation.
If anyone have answers to any of these questions we thank you first and highly appreciate your reply:
1- Anyone have recommendation on how to block or decrease insect/mosquito bits. We tried dressing up 2 layers , full masks and sprayed our clothing with mosquito repellent, but they get to us no matter what we try .

Thank you all

Thermacell as suggested, but also a pop-up blind is a great help and has other benefits with kids too.

For clothes cabelas/bass pro outers has worked for us combined with quality camping gear that we already have like base layers, puffy jackets and raincoats. We have had trouble getting good base layers that are thick and warm and have found that the amazon basics fleece work great, the bottoms, tops and vests under the outers and over the best thinner kids base layers we can find at the time.

As said a big 2 man ladder stand is great with kids.

bobinmi

WKR
1. Thermacell
2. Amazon sells kid sized leafy wear suits. I'm not buying them nice stuff till they are done growing or we do a hunt that requires it.
3. Double ladder stands are our friend. Easy, safe and easier to share the experience. Everyone knows their own kids but I wouldn't trust my girls making the transition from sticks to stand on a regular stand.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you so much everyone,
We will check the clothing and try to get a deal on them.
can you suggest certain brand or category for tree stand please?

Warlock

FNG
I suggest spraying down your clothing with Promethrin the night before you go out. Make sure it DRIES before handling/wearing any of it though.

Agross

WKR
I got the double ladder stand to take my kids out. I recommend getting the ones with the full back to the seat. Some of em have an open back. They didn’t seem safe to me for kids

JGross1

FNG
I suggest spraying down your clothing with Promethrin the night before you go out. Make sure it DRIES before handling/wearing any of it though.
This. Just got back from hunting in Kentucky and sprayed my clothes down with it night before first day. Sat all week with no issues with insects or tics. Had a thermacell for a backup but never had to pull it out of my pack. Stuff works great.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I read that somewhere too, and my only concern is the toxicity, I guess ill try it myself first.
Do you have link to the product please?

KRA-Z

FNG

Thank you all
Hi, I’m in Michigan as well...

I’m not sure if I can answer all you’re questions but I’ll try with my best knowledge..
Tree stands... how old are the kids? I personally would not take to young or fidgety of a kid up into a stand... even strapped in ( which you should be) after a fall you need to be able to climb yourself out of the situation.. there’s grown men I would not want to be I that situation with...
At the very least I would practice with them how to climb the harness back up a few feet off the ground ( should do this anyway, even you) to get used to what needs to happen..

mosquitoes.... seems like you’ve tried the basics so I won’t get into that...

Mosquitoes are attracted to the co in your breath, so anything you can do to lower that or mask it helps... but this time of year and all the rain we’ve had here recently... you might need to just deal with it... also around your blind certain plants etc will attract them, you’ll have to look that one up, I’m not sure on the specifics.

kids hunting clothes... anything ( not white obviously) that’s comfortable... I have more money into hunting clothes for every season ( it’s Michigan so you know) and I’ve also gone out back on my property after work, in my work clothes smelling like a shop, and have had just as good as luck as any other time... it’s all about being downwind and movement! My dad used to smoke while hunting and never mattered unless the wind was at our backs... there is simply too much put into tech that’s just not necessary for a successful hunt.

the deer are not any smarter than years ago, and if anything ( depending on your area) they are more comfortable around humans... the population growth has made it to where if a deer smells humans they are on alert but not spooked...

Good luck and make it enjoyable for them and yourself... the less pressure input on myself to cull a deer, the more deer I started seeing...

The more you can be in your spot, the more comfortable they will be that your there, and believe me no matter what, they know you’re there, just don’t exactly know where and if you’re a threat...

I’ve been bow hunting for 40yrs and my closest stand is less than 100 yards from my back door... I watch them all the time all year long... I’ve learned more about these animals sitting in my stands watching, than probably the first half of all the time I’ve been hunting.

when you’re hunting you see and all your thoughts are to cull that deer, when your just watching you can see without those blinders on, as to the things they are hearing, how they react to sounds and other animals... out of season they don’t spook much, in season a bird landing on a branch can spook a deer off...

Enjoy the time outside with your kids, open all your senses to the surroundings, sit and watch a deer come in and out without even trying to cull it.... see how it reacts to everything and it will teach you more than anyone can without seeing it first hand... there’s a reason some people always cull deer and others never see anything... it’s not as much luck as anyone seems to think... they are predictable creatures, the signs tell all, you just need to recognize and follow them!

good luck !

naternate

FNG
I use thermacells and they are great. Work even better in a blind because it holds whatever it is that repels the skeeters. And moving around to swat isnt a big deal. Make sure to either brush in the blind or put it somewhere they can see it for a min. From experience they FREAK OUT when they pop out the swamp and there is a blind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I read that somewhere too, and my only concern is the toxicity, I guess ill try it myself first.
They sell it at tractor supply. Mix a spray bottle full, spray clothes, let em dry, use.

permethrin isn’t supposed to be hazardous to humans but will kill cats.

I use it and thermacell and bug spray but not all at once.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely learn new thing every time i go out in the woods, My boys are 10 & 11 yrs, they are learning faster than expected, I try to teach them what I know but quite often I have to search forums or the internet for answers.
Personally, I love how they try to be independent, we set our blind the way they want it, started glassing, practiced being stealth and so on...

Thank you everyone, these are helpful inputs, your great contribution makes this community great.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, I’m in Michigan as well...

I’m not sure if I can answer all you’re questions but I’ll try with my best knowledge..
Tree stands... how old are the kids? I personally would not take to young or fidgety of a kid up into a stand... even strapped in ( which you should be) after a fall you need to be able to climb yourself out of the situation.. there’s grown men I would not want to be I that situation with...
At the very least I would practice with them how to climb the harness back up a few feet off the ground ( should do this anyway, even you) to get used to what needs to happen..

mosquitoes.... seems like you’ve tried the basics so I won’t get into that...

Mosquitoes are attracted to the co in your breath, so anything you can do to lower that or mask it helps... but this time of year and all the rain we’ve had here recently... you might need to just deal with it... also around your blind certain plants etc will attract them, you’ll have to look that one up, I’m not sure on the specifics.

kids hunting clothes... anything ( not white obviously) that’s comfortable... I have more money into hunting clothes for every season ( it’s Michigan so you know) and I’ve also gone out back on my property after work, in my work clothes smelling like a shop, and have had just as good as luck as any other time... it’s all about being downwind and movement! My dad used to smoke while hunting and never mattered unless the wind was at our backs... there is simply too much put into tech that’s just not necessary for a successful hunt.

the deer are not any smarter than years ago, and if anything ( depending on your area) they are more comfortable around humans... the population growth has made it to where if a deer smells humans they are on alert but not spooked...

Good luck and make it enjoyable for them and yourself... the less pressure input on myself to cull a deer, the more deer I started seeing...

The more you can be in your spot, the more comfortable they will be that your there, and believe me no matter what, they know you’re there, just don’t exactly know where and if you’re a threat...

I’ve been bow hunting for 40yrs and my closest stand is less than 100 yards from my back door... I watch them all the time all year long... I’ve learned more about these animals sitting in my stands watching, than probably the first half of all the time I’ve been hunting.

when you’re hunting you see and all your thoughts are to cull that deer, when your just watching you can see without those blinders on, as to the things they are hearing, how they react to sounds and other animals... out of season they don’t spook much, in season a bird landing on a branch can spook a deer off...

Enjoy the time outside with your kids, open all your senses to the surroundings, sit and watch a deer come in and out without even trying to cull it.... see how it reacts to everything and it will teach you more than anyone can without seeing it first hand... there’s a reason some people always cull deer and others never see anything... it’s not as much luck as anyone seems to think... they are predictable creatures, the signs tell all, you just need to recognize and follow them!

good luck !

Yes indeed, KRA-Z, in Michigan deers are everywhere and they are more used to human, little luck and careful planning will lead to success.
I am trying my friend's tree stand, I'll follow your advice, Thank you for taking the time to reply with great details, and the gratitude extends to everyone else.

Rich M

WKR
You are in a great spot. Keep having fun and take the shot when you get it. Deer never present a perfect shot.

you’re making great memories! Enjoy it while you got it.

Benzy2

FNG
Permethrin is great on mosquitos. I’ve had good luck with budget camo at both Meijer and TSC, though not as much as you get into hunting season. They seem to be pretty picked through by opening day of rifle season.

Warlock

FNG
Apparently not toxic to humans or dogs, but like another poster said, it is toxic to cats. Misquitos are insanely attracted to me (Type O Positive Blood), and I haven't had an issue during this hot muggy early dear season with them after starting to use this. Here you go.

WCB

WKR
1. Thermacell I never use bug spray deer hunting early season and have literally sat in cattail sloughs in ND. I have not needed to wear gloves or a face mask.

2. not sure

3. I used to sit in stands with my dad as early as 5 years old. He would put two hang ons next to each other in the same tree. I would probably recommend a double ladder stand ( I personally hate ladder stands but for kids or inexperienced tree climbers they work pretty well)