Michigan elk poachers

This is about 15 miles south of where I’m deer hunting. After watching elk for the last week while deer hunting I don’t know how someone could accidentally mistake one for a whitetail. It didn’t say if any meat was taken from the animal. It seems about every year or so this happens. I hope they catch the offenders.
134200B0E86341-308D-421B-A147-AAF20C0E3CC7.png

Jdhunttrapfish

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah someone sees antlers and quick shoots, then they get up to the animal and get scared, I wonder if they would be in any more trouble if they actually used the meat or if the fines would be the same, seems to happen every year now here in Mi

I read this yesterday too. Probably some stupid hill-jock that thought it would be funny to shoot one. Normally someone cannot keep their mouths shut after a couple glasses of Heavenly Hill and will spill the beans. I wish the DNR would throw the book at these nimrods, but they always seem to let them off with something that I feel is much more tame than what is deserved.

Yeah pretty amazing how some ding bat can mistake a elk for a deer, I'm betting that's what happened or the goon shot at movement in the brush and when it turned out to be an elk wasn't man/woman enough to fess up to it and take their punishment. Happen every year up there seems like.

Murse15

FNG
I read this yesterday too. Probably some stupid hill-jock that thought it would be funny to shoot one. Normally someone cannot keep their mouths shut after a couple glasses of Heavenly Hill and will spill the beans. I wish the DNR would throw the book at these nimrods, but they always seem to let them off with something that I feel is much more tame than what is deserved.

Agreed. They should do it like Alaska and take everything that you used to poach (truck, gun, quad, and a fine on top of that with hunting revocation). Truly sad to see.

Broomd

WKR
Last weekend a large bull moose was found nearby here.
Horns were cut off, everything else left to rot right on a national forest road.