Michigan Elk Tag - Success!

I've only been applying since 2008, but I drew an Elk Tag today! For those who don't know, the MI DNR gives out about 200 tags for the ~50k applicants every year via weighted lottery (apply for 13 years, your name is in the hat 13 times, but the first-year guy can also win). Once you draw, you can never draw again.

Have to watch the mail to find out my hunt location and hunt period. Either way, I'm jacked and ready to absorb any information I can.

All I know for sure is:
- I'll try a few days with my bow. I am a die hard bow hunter, but not proud enough to leave the gun at home
- I'll be trying to avoid the "cattle drive" hunting tactics most guides employ. I'm not super interested in driving around until I see elk, hopping out and shooting one. It's too sterile for such a sacred opportunity.

If anyone has any tips, or has drawn in MI, I'd love to heard from you.

Rat

FNG
Congratulations! you might want to by a lotto ticket as well LOL. I've been applying for quite a while, hope you have a great hunt!

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations, I struck out again as did everyone in my hunting group that applied. Is there the mandatory elk seminar all tag bearer's have to attend?

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats, 15 or 16 years and counting for me lol. Hoping some day I will get lucky in the state we live in!
I’m not sure if you get on Michigan Sportsman forum or not, but there are few guys on there that guide, they have access and get guys on big bulls every season.

Ten Bears

WKR
congrats !!!!!
my dream tag, I have 18 years applying and still nothing.

some HUGE bulls if one puts the time in...

Last edited:
I can get you in touch with a good guide my buddy drew last year and hunted with his bow right down to the wire then ended up taking one with the gun.

He was the only traditional bowhunter the guide has ever seen.... the guide said he hasn't had a compound hunter in 14 years he's been guiding.. . Unbelievable

OP
M
Congratulations, I struck out again as did everyone in my hunting group that applied. Is there the mandatory elk seminar all tag bearer's have to attend?

Yes, apparently its virtual this year.

I sold a treestand to a local guy last summer, we got to talking and I found out he pulled an elk tag about 10 years ago. Said the parking lot of the orientation is filled with "guides" trying to scoop you up.

He was a lot like me, trying to avoid the cattle-drive style hunt. Apparently that rubs a lot of "guides" up there the wrong way.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! I lucked out but having been putting in very long.

Check out "michigan_hunters" on instagram and shoot him some questions. I know the guy through work, but he drew a tag last year and shot a nice elk so would know how it goes with the areas/guides and all that.