Michigan native marooned in NYC

Great forum here. Have been lurking for the past couple of weeks as I look to get geared up and educated for my first ever attempt at Elk. I drew general tags (first time applicant, lucky me!) in Wyoming and Montana this year. Planning a two week backpack trip to Wyoming for Archery season - may go back for gun depending on work schedule and success - and a one week late season Montana hunt (drew the Elk/Deer combo). My brother is planning to tag along for a week of the Wyoming trip and the Montana trip is with me, the brother and the old man. Some memories will be made regardless of success and looking forward to the journey of learning.

I grew up in Michigan, but have been living in New York for work the last 5 years and was in Tennessee for school for 3 years prior to that.

Thanks for the incredible resource you all have contributed to make here. Look forward to getting to know you guys and gals.

Cory

Clarence

WKR
Welcome. Used too spend alot of time in your town. Bless you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chainsaww

FNG
When are you thinking for late season Montana? I’ll be heading there myself from Michigan for deer.

OP
T
Heading to MT the 2nd week in November - we're looking at staying a week, but I may stay longer solo, work permitting, to get the job done.

OP
T
Welcome. Used too spend alot of time in your town. Bless you!

Thanks! It's a battle every day as you no doubt remember. I had to drive 3 hours round trip the other day to go to a decent bow shop (justifying a press to the wife when you live in an 810 sq. ft. 1 bedroom would be difficult - though the Bow-A-Constrictor Bow Press that packs down into a pelican could fit nicely under the bed when she's out of town next.... hmmmmmm). NYC for me is a like / hate relationship. The like part is slightly edging out the hate, but a flippening and great escape is quickly approaching.

Clarence

WKR
Thanks! It's a battle every day as you no doubt remember. I had to drive 3 hours round trip the other day to go to a decent bow shop (justifying a press to the wife when you live in an 810 sq. ft. 1 bedroom would be difficult - though the Bow-A-Constrictor Bow Press that packs down into a pelican could fit nicely under the bed when she's out of town next.... hmmmmmm). NYC for me is a like / hate relationship. The like part is slightly edging out the hate, but a flippening and great escape is quickly approaching.
I believe the only thing I miss about it is the food. It is a interesting place. Camping this weekend, 3 20 something's from Brooklyn were close by. I about pissed myself watching them try to split a 10`` log by throwing it at rocks. My wife made the comment that they seemed as adept in that environment as I am in their native habitat. They thought I was Daniel Boone or something cause I chopped some wood for them and shared some venison. It was cool to chat with them, they were very intrigued and open minded to hunting. You have a great opportunity to be a ambassador for the sport over there! I hope you harvest in Montana and have a opportunity to share some great venison dishes with friends that don't have any exposure to this lifestyle. Good luck.

OP
T
Hi! I'm out in Queens, been poring through the forums for another New Yorker.

Good to meet you. You do much hunting in the area? Now that I'm back from the Elk trips, been looking at getting into waterfowl out on Long Island or otherwise. We should find a way to connect and chat. If you send me a pm or something (I can't send yet, post limit issues) with contact info, I can reach out to you privately.

Cory

Good to meet you. You do much hunting in the area? Now that I'm back from the Elk trips, been looking at getting into waterfowl out on Long Island or otherwise. We should find a way to connect and chat. If you send me a pm or something (I can't send yet, post limit issues) with contact info, I can reach out to you privately.

Cory

I've done zero hunting. Actually going on my first outing this week. I'll PM you with my info to link up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blansing

FNG
Hey guys, glad to see some New Yorker's on here. I'm not exactly from the same part of the state as you guys being from Syracuse, but there aren't many of us on here from what I have seen. I hope you had a great first trip out west. I am hoping to plan my first trip out west next year. Any advice?