Michigan Whitetail hunt

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
My aunt owns property near the city and owns a field which was planted in beans this year. This year she had so many deer in the field that the beans have only been able to grow 3-4 inches, and there would be 30-50 deer out in the field every night. She asked that we come dwindle the doe population so I bought a ticket and tags and headed to Michigan with my recurve. My first sit was the night of October 2nd and it was definitely a hunt to rember. Since my dad lives in Michigan I asked him to figure out where the deer were coming in to the field and approximately what time. He got to the field around 3 and said the deer started coming out around 3:30-4:00 and he had to leave at 6 that night, but was able to tell me approximately where they were coming out. On the 2nd we got there around 1:30 because i needee to set up a stand. I didnt want to put down too much scent so i walked directly across the field as the beans were easy to walk across being only 3-4 inches tall...the damage was crazy. I found a tree and got all set up. At 4pm deer started moving in the brush behind me and the wind was 10-15 mph blowing from them to me. I sat right on the field edge so in case i sat in the wrong tree i would at least have an opportunity for a shot as they walked the field edge.

At 4:45 i caught a glimpse of several deer coming from the bedding area and could see horns on several deer. That night i ended up seeing approximately 10 bucks and as soon as i saw a nice 9 point step out my doe hunt immediately turned into a buck hunt. He ended up taking a trail quartering away and i tried to "mert" him to stop him at approximately 25 yards but due to the wind he was unable to hear me and the 2nd time he stopped behind an approximately 3 to 4 in in diameter tree right where his heart/lungs were. I didnt have much time to think before he would have been totally blocked by the brush, i remembered he was quartering away and believed i could get it up in the vitals still. The shot hit right where i was aiming and he let out a mule kick and disappeared. I could see my knock glowing in the ground right where he had been standing.

The 5 or 6 bucks that had been with him just stood around curious to why the buck had just run off. They were learly but not spooked. As i knew the shot would be further back than i had originally planned i was in no hurry to get down to look for him, plus i had 2 doe tags in my pocket.

10 minutes after i shot that buck a bigger more muture buck came out and walked the same trail, as i didn't buy the combo tag i watched him walk out into the field in all his glory.

10 minutes after that the does started coming through the brush and came out on a different trail, the bucks and several other deer were still all within 30 yards of me.

2 big lone does entered the field 20 to 25 yards away out into the field and i drew back, picked my spot and let it fly and watched the arrow hit perfectly in the vitals and watched blood pump out while she ran away. She disappeared into the brush running towards my dad.

I realized all the insanity that had just taken place and realized i should probably text my dad to let him know we already possibly had 2 deer to track as i felt both were good shots but due to foilage and brush i couldn't see either of them go down.

Due to not seeing either go down i passed on several shots on does.

My dad informed me that he also had a shot on a nice 16 inch 8 pt but he had already found his arrow and shot right under it.

Due to all the deer still around me i asked my dad if he could walk back to me to scare the deer because i still had a few days to hunt.

Once the deer started exiting the field i got down and looked at the arrow i had shot the buck with, it had good blood but also had some guts on it which i knew it most likely would due to the angle. The buck ran towards the field so i followed the blood to the edge of the field that was only 10 yards from where i shot him and looked out into the field and saw the rack and partial body laying 75 yards from where i shot him.

I left him lay there and showed my dad where i shot the doe and we began looking for blood, i was looking in the wrong area after going back to look at the video footage as i didnt get an immediate pass through.

I walked to the field edge where i saw her go back into the brush and found here laying 5ft from the trail my dad had walked out on. I asked how he didnt see her and he informed me he was looking out into the field at the deer that were still in the field which would have been the opposite side of the trail he walked out on so we had a good laugh.

I told him cool and said let's go look for my other "doe".

When we finally walked up on my buck together it was getting pretty dark but we were both pretty pumped as he was a beautiful 9 point.

Before this i hadnt shot a whitetail with my recure since 1999.

Definitely a hunt i will not soon forget. My dad summed it up when i was explaining it to him it was similar to carp shooting in saginaw bay at peak spawn, the deer where all around me.
Black widow recurve 29" draw @59#
One was with a 150 stinger (buck) one was with a 3 blade 150 cutthroat (doe)
Arrows were 350 gr black eagle vintage and carbon express heritage (wish they still made these) but everything performed amazing!

Resized_20221002_194130.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20221002_194823.jpeg
    Resized_20221002_194823.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Resized_20221002_204013.jpeg
    Resized_20221002_204013.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Congratulations!

Side note: What's going on with the broadheads in the first pic? Looks like not much more than the very tip sticking into foam.

OP
HunterHawk

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations!

Side note: What's going on with the broadheads in the first pic? Looks like not much more than the very tip sticking into foam.
Looking at that pic and the one in the trailer the one on the edge was the one i shot the buck with and just put in quick and then the other one sticking out more was from a MISS on a turkey..forgot to mention that :) so i put that one in quick too...you're like a freaking investigator...should have had the dang tom too. He was at like 10 yards.shot too quick...think i was a little too amped! I have been known to leave my broadheads out further than others too though..but quiver looks jacked too. So who knows.

Haha
Looking at that pic and the one in the trailer the one on the edge was the one i shot the buck with and just put in quick and then the other one sticking out more was from a MISS on a turkey..forgot to mention that :) so i put that one in quick too...you're like a freaking investigator...should have had the dang tom too. He was at like 10 yards.shot too quick...think i was a little too amped! I have been known to leave my broadheads out further than others too though..but quiver looks jacked too. So who knows.

Got a little extra story out of you, so it worked out ;)