Micro Diameter Options

slowelk

WKR
I am currently shooting 4mm FMJs, but am tired of the deep six options, and have doubts deep six is around forever, so I'm looking for new options in the micro diameter world. My local shop is pushing the Bloodsport evidence with outserts, a friend is suggesting the Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce. My setup is currently just under 500gr, and ideally I'd like to stay in that neighborhood, but with outserts, that seems like it might be impossible.

What are Rokslide's recommendations for micro diameters with outserts?
Or do I move on from micro and just do 5mm FMJ?

Last edited:

big44a4

WKR
Easton has new TI outserts. Tad pricey but from what I’ve seen so far they look pretty durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
Those titanium outserts are too rich for my blood.

Trial153

WKR
skip it and save yourself headaches. Outserts and half outs suck. If you want small diameter then go with .204 use hits and foot the shaft with a vpa footer. Its about as solid as you can get without all the hassles of outserts.

Last edited:

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
Black eagle has SS outserts for the deep impacts (67 gr) and instincts (100 gr), and it looks like they should fit some of the x impacts. Should be a little more durable, theoretically.

Valkyrie seems like it would be the best option as far as component durability ... but you’d be even more limited on broadhead selection.

Yep I have no issues with my Black Eagle X Impacts. They utilize the outsert technology. I get the heavier SS ones and also run a 125 gr b/head, 4 fletch 3 inch vanes, and pin nock and bushing, and I am right at 490-495 grs.

I have spin tested these set ups for a couple years and have seen great consistently from BEA with their product.

Ethics archery also makes .204 half outs in SS and they are pretty awesome. The ones I use are 100 grains but can be cut down in 10 grain increments all the way down to 50 grains o believe. I’ve also used the SS half outs from black eagle. Just make sure you use cool flex when you install them so you are able to rotate them to make sure they spin true.

Beendare

WKR
skip it and save yourself headaches. Outserts and half outs suck. If you want small diameter then go with .204 use hits and foot the shaft with a vpa footer. Its about as solid as you can get without all the hassles of outserts.

^I would agree....we have talked about the skinny shafts here before if you search. I shot them for years when sponsored by Beman....the shafts are great...but the components are flawed. I like the 5mm.

Dapper

FNG
I myself like outserts, they add a footing quality to an arrow. Half in/out look nice, but mine had a tendency to break at that junction. I've shot victory with the outserts and black eagle with the outserts. Both arrows are good quality. Black eagle x impact if you want a lighter arrow to build a higher foc and the black eagle deep impact if you want a heavier arrow with a lower foc. I've been a fan of small diameter arrows since they first appearted years ago. I don't know anything about deep six applications.

BrayByrd

Lil-Rokslider
Yep I have no issues with my Black Eagle X Impacts. They utilize the outsert technology. I get the heavier SS ones and also run a 125 gr b/head, 4 fletch 3 inch vanes, and pin nock and bushing, and I am right at 490-495 grs.

I have spin tested these set ups for a couple years and have seen great consistently from BEA with their product.
Which vane? Offset? Helical?

nphunter

WKR
I don’t think deep Six is going anywhere. They are coming out with brass inserts for them now. The HIT’s with a good footer are the best option IMO for 4mm shafts. I ran them since the first year they came out with the injexion. I recently switched to 5mm due to not wanting to deal with limited heads and components any more.

If your content on shooting 4mm I would stick with deep six. I have had terrible luck with every outsert I’ve used in the past. The Valkyrie is another option but then your a one trick pony with there components.

I don’t think deep Six is going anywhere. They are coming out with brass inserts for them now. The HIT’s with a good footer are the best option IMO for 4mm shafts. I ran them since the first year they came out with the injexion. I recently switched to 5mm due to not wanting to deal with limited heads and components any more.

If your content on shooting 4mm I would stick with deep six. I have had terrible luck with every outsert I’ve used in the past. The Valkyrie is another option but then your a one trick pony with there components.

NP is spot on, 75 grain brass deep six is the way to go with a footer, I build some 250&300 vaps with brass and footers, the 250's I added 8/32 plug weights for extra weight it bumped it up 60 grains so I now have 135 up front plus a 100 grain head total weight is right around 550, for fixed heads I have the vpa six series and iron wills, I have some old hypos kicking around somewhere too but I think ill go with sevr if I go with a mechanical head

FlyGuy

WKR
Valkyrie. Give Brent a Call. Try the 2 arrow test kit ($50). It will make you a believer. I can’t imagine I will ever be shooting anything else. I’m at 496 grain total weight, with a 225gr head. They fly incredibly well. Zipped two of them through a moose last year, one was damn near long-ways. Never found either arrow.

You can’t cheat the mountain

SoDaky

WKR
Ditto Tony.A micro fan for MANY years.Still miss my 2020s from back in the day.2020,Zwickey Delta and shoot through anything moving.

chasewild

WKR
I bought the injexions in a 330 with the titanium half outs. Total arrow weight should be in the 480 range. Switched from axis 340's. Have yet to build and spin them. But quite a few reputable sources were pointing me in this direction. I realize it's pricey, but so are swaros.

I was not a fan of the deep six components, I tried several different options and was leaning towards going back to a .204 arrow strictly due to the .166 components.

I decided to give the Day Six arrows a try first since they offered a 2 arrow test kit. And I must say I am extremely impressed with them. They are built to very tight tolerances, and their new center pin/outsert system is very nice, and their customer service is top notch. I am sold on them I'll be ordering a couple dozen shafts soon.

The arrows are heavier gpi than other micro diameter shafts, so mine cut to 28" with the 50 outsert and a 125 gr head puts me right at 508 gr.

I found that to get my GT pierces to that same weight I had to add a lot more weight to the front, which always put me on the verge of being underspined, and made a very weak point in the arrow setup. I did not care for the GT half out system at all. I switched to the ethics outserts and they were much higher quality than the GT, but with the lighter gpi arrow with all the weight up front made for a bad weak point directly behind the collar. Had one snap off directly behind the collar on a mid body rib hit on a broadside elk upon impact.

If you want to stay with a micro I highly recommend at least ordering a test kit from day six, I think you'll be impressed, and it doesn't set you back as bad as buying a full dozen arrows to find out if you like them.

Brendan

WKR
I'm with the above comments. Either use D6 components or switch to 5mm arrows.

There are some better broadhead options and insert options since my last go-round with them (Iron Will and Sevr), the only thing I don't like is that I've had a bad experience with micro arrows and lighted nocks to the point where I wouldn't use them. If that doesn't bother you - don't worry about it.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying micros for the first time this year. I ordered a test kit from Valkryie to try their components. I also build some GT Pierce using Ethics insert/outsert system. Time will tell if I like them on animals or not.

For the last few years I used the 5mm Axis and GT Kaos with a 75gr HIT brass insert. I like that set up. And if you want a collar for the 5mm whatever reason (or 4mm for that matter), Iron Will is making "impact collars" out of SS.