micro diameter shafts..

bhylton

WKR
Im looking at starting a new arrow set up for the season. Would be for everything... turkey, bear, deer and elk. The two shafts that i'm considering are the GT velocity/ ultralight or the GT pierce.

Velocity/ ultralight
.246 ID
8.2GPI in 340 spine

Pierce
.166ID
8.3GPI in 340 spine

Both shafts would wear a 200gr RMS cutthroat with enough added weights to tune and be between 20-25% FOC
Both shafts build an arrow between 550gr and 600gr. coming out of a 55# recurve.

What are your thoughts? I know there is an penetration advantage with the .166 shaft. However, i already have all the inserts and weights and other components for a .246 shaft. Do I go for the standard .246 or do i gain enough to go with the .166? $$ aside..

oldgoat

WKR
64 million dollar question I think in normal trad hunting ranges the smaller diameter difference is negligible I feel. Shooting long range is where smaller diameter really shines.

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
64 million dollar question I think in normal trad hunting ranges the smaller diameter difference is negligible I feel. Shooting long range is where smaller diameter really shines.
with regards to penetration, wind drift or? You think i will see a penetration difference on a 20yd shot?

ahlgringo

WKR
This question on penetration advantage of micro diam shafts has been beat to death. My opinion is that on game animals it is pretty negligible. The benefit you def will see is wind drift beyond 40 yds. So for your setup i would say shoot whichever shoots best but dont think penetration should be your main variable.

All that being said- i shoot .166 shafts. But I also shoot a compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wojo14

WKR
I agree with some of the comments above, however, I and a skinny shaft guy. I shoot longbow and I feel the skinny shafts put me closer to center shot. I shoot Easton axis, fmj and old beman classics.
I also think the skinny shaft helps with penetration. I will say I notice less wind reaction (even at 20 yards) with skinny shafts, 200 gr out front and 4' 4 fletch parabolic on rear.
Just my $.02.
~Wojo

Trial153

WKR
I like small diameter shafts. However I draw the line at
.204 because I am still able to HITs and standard threaded Broadheads. I don't like outserts or half out systems. I have used several and wasted a lot of time and money to find out the none of them are durable and consistent enough for my with heavy use.
Of the two shafts listed I would go with the velocitys, however I think some smaller diameter shafts might be a better compromise between the two you listed.
BEA Rampages with hits, BEA spartans , Easton ACC's, are all great choices as well.

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
thanks for the input guys. I can research it myself, but one concern i had with the .166 was if a standard BH would worth with their outsert/collar system or if it was something special. I think im probably splitting hairs with the benefit i might see with the skinny shaft. apologies if this has been "beat to death" i dont remember seeing it brought up on the trad forum. thanks fellas

ElkNut1

WKR
I've shot the .166 Victory VAP Shafts for a few years, they accept any normal broadhead thread.

ElkNut1

Beendare

WKR
I shot the skinny shafts [Beman Hunters] with outserts for almost a decade. There is a slight advantage at long ranges...but not a factor with Trad gear.

Dealing with the outserts on the skinny shafts is a negative that outweighs any advantages, IMO.

I saw Black Eagle is making a micro trad shaft... I figured as fast as I lose arrows I'd better save the money and go for the standard 5/16 Vintage's lol. Pretty sure as bad as those Cutthroats are, a smaller shaft behind them isn't going to matter much.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
I'm kinda leaning toward a standard shaft at this point. I can pick up a dozen velocities for about 60$. Does not sounds the .166s are giving enough of an advantage at this point

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
The reason for shooting a .166 arrow is because you want too not because there's some magical formula to them. Any well constructed arrow will do its job despite it's shaft diameter. Tune the chosen arrow to your setup, the most important aspect is your razor sharp broadhead.

p.s. the Victory VAP .166 shafts have an insert that goes into the arrow as well part of it outside the shaft, it does not fit over the shaft like some outserts do. I used the steel 95 grain ones for more FOC, tough as nails. I've shot those arrows through 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood with zero issues, that's a tough combo! Not all outserts are created equal! (grin) Like Beendare, I too am not fond of other outserts that haven't faired well.

ElkNut1

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
I agree elknut. The terminal​
advantage of the .166 is probably negligible in my case. (Not that that makes it wrong to shoot them). They are as kebler brought up, probably much tougher with the increased wall thickness. After some more research, I'm kinda leaning towards the velocites with a piece of aluminum arrow shaft as a footing to increase durability for stumping and integrity of game.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wojo14

WKR
I foot my easton axis shafts with a 1.5" piece of 1916 aluminum. I stump alot and purposely shoot at hard wood stumps to test durability. Never broke a footed Easton Axis yet. My arrows are set up cut at 28.5", standard hit insert, 200 gr out front, 1.5" aluminum footing, wrap and 4-4" parabolic on rear. Total weight is 530g. Great for deer and down. I have another set up pretty similiar, except with Easton FMJ. Total weigh 630g for elk/moose.
Like I mentioned above, I like skinny shafts. Closer to center shot on a longbow. They just fly better for me.
~Wojo

My new arrows are Easton FMJ's I believe they are 6mm diameter, full length with a 75 grain brass insert and 175 grain point, 3 5 inch parabolic feathers make a 650 grain arrow. I just bought a 19" Titan III with blackmax 2.0 long limbs, the bow scales a little over 51 at my draw, 31 " we bareshafted these and they are bullets ! With the longer powerstroke of my draw those shoot through through any critter. This will be my elk set up for next year hopefully I will get to run a few through some whitetails this fall :) Smaller diameter is nice for field archery shooting out to 80 yards, wind, I believe it can't hurt with penetration ( at 650 grains it probably doesn't matter) outserts suck for pulling them out of foam, stumps etc. Like Wojo said, footing carbons with alluminum will toughen them up if you can bezel the rear edge with a case trimmer for realoading it makes like easier pulling them. I think any of your combo's will work, go kill some critters with it and let us know ! :)

Wow you guys have me thinking now. I shoot 11/32 woodies out my super kodiak. I have a couple dozen gold tip kinetic kaos arrows. I might just fletch up a couple with feathers and see how they shoot.

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
those all sound like great set ups. the tinker part of me want to try the skinnys. The realist side of me realizes that tons of game have hit the dirt with woodies and aluminum's and i should just keep it simple. Fun either way. superkodiak, im jealous of your 31in draw.... haha

I'm shooting the carbon express heritage and was thinking of revamping my whole setup as well. Wasn't sure about added weight for the inside (not an outsert fan). I shoot 640 grains out of 54-57 pound bows at 28 inches.

Brings up another point I wanted to about changing my setup. I'm self taught instinctive shooter. Never had any critique I know I have bad habits. I wanna try and fix this so I can feel better at shooting longer distances like they did in "the push". Honestly I would've never thought about shooting past 30-35 yards on a foam target. But now I think I can. So I need a finely tuned setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
take a look at the black eagle ( deep impacts or x impacts) u can get steel inserts with them in ur spine size. 10 x better than VAPS. I like the micros, but have killed game with 11/32 woodies, 5/16 wooides and standard sized carbon. They will all work I shot 45lbs so any advantage is and advantage.

i found u can use 3" feathers on the .166 size to with good results as long as the head is not super huge