Micro fiber vs gore stopper

I have a wm terralite over stuffed and am wondering about a bag eith about a 0 degree rating that i can use and worry less about moisture and looking at the sequoia, but will the micro fiber version do real well compared to the goretex version with keeping the down dry? I think it is about 1 lb difference in weight for the 2, so if the micro fiber does almost as well then great.

Any experiences with the two models comparisons micro vs gore would be appreciated

I own both bags....TerraLite and Sequoia GWS. I cannot speak to any comparisons of microfiber vs GWS in terms of water repellency (as in a rain exposure) because I've never gotten either of them into a rain. I did have my TerraLite on a caribou hunt where the weather turned awful with days of 100% humidity, clouds, torrential rains and wind. The inside of my tent developed big condensation and spray was flying everywhere. Eventually the TerraLite fabric absorbed enough moisture to feel objectively damp, and the bag lost some loft. I had to be careful to protect the bag from additional moisture. The very light fabric in the TerraLite is basically no barrier to moisture....my opinion.

The GWS fabric in my Sequoia is a champ in terms of repelling water and being durable. I would estimate the durability to be multitudes better than the TerraLite fabric and better than a Sequoia with microfiber. If exposed to water the GWS on my bag beads it up and generally stops penetration. Not waterproof but much more water-repellent than any other bag I've owned. For myself and my uses, I would replace my GWS Sequoia with the exact same bag....no consideration to weight.

If conditions call for a zero degree WM bag i'd be more worried about moisture from within the bag than moisture from the exterior. Been eyeing the antelope for a while and I'd choose MF over GWS for breathability and weight.

From WM's Website: (for reference, the popular Big Agnes Coppur Spur tents have floors and flys with 1200mm Hydrostatic head ratings..

Extremelite is our lightest fabric, but the least water resistant. Microfiber is far more water resistant and more breathable than Extremelite, just slightly heavier. We consider it a perfect middle ground between weight, durability, water resistance and breathability. Gore WindStopper is the heaviest least breathable fabric however it is multiple times more water resistant than the other two fabrics.

Extremelite is suitable for all 2 season uses and ideal for weight conscious adventurers. The fabric is highly water resistant for the weight and can withstand most condensation summertime users encounter inside tents. Microfiber boasts high versatility due to its increased water resistance and breathability. Cow boy camping? Need something suitable for warm nights and wet nights? Microfiber is ideal. Gore Windstopper is for situations in which you will encounter high moisture or precipitation. These bags are not water proof, but will hold up to any condensation and even light precipitation. Their less breathable shell means they are not ideal for warm nights.

Stats on fabric performance:

Extremelite
Denier: 12
Weight: 0.74 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 1200 mm

Microfiber XP
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.35 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 2000 mm

Gore WindStopper (bags)
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.7 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 12000 mm (yup 3 zero’s)

OP
sportsmans challenge
I own both bags....TerraLite and Sequoia GWS. I cannot speak to any comparisons of microfiber vs GWS in terms of water repellency (as in a rain exposure) because I've never gotten either of them into a rain. I did have my TerraLite on a caribou hunt where the weather turned awful with days of 100% humidity, clouds, torrential rains and wind. The inside of my tent developed big condensation and spray was flying everywhere. Eventually the TerraLite fabric absorbed enough moisture to feel objectively damp, and the bag lost some loft. I had to be careful to protect the bag from additional moisture. The very light fabric in the TerraLite is basically no barrier to moisture....my opinion.

The GWS fabric in my Sequoia is a champ in terms of repelling water and being durable. I would estimate the durability to be multitudes better than the TerraLite fabric and better than a Sequoia with microfiber. If exposed to water the GWS on my bag beads it up and generally stops penetration. Not waterproof but much more water-repellent than any other bag I've owned. For myself and my uses, I would replace my GWS Sequoia with the exact same bag....no consideration to weight.
How does thi fit compare in the terra and the sequoia?

OP
sportsmans challenge
TerraLite and Sequoia are completely different fits.

TerraLite shoulder/hip/feet in inches is 65/68/42
Sequoia is 66/61/48

The TerraLite will feel roomier in the middle.
Well for the time being i am roomy in the middle and i really like the terra cause i am a roller and side sleeper, may not be too bad in that sequoia

I’ve got the Kodak GWS. It’s excellent. I’ve had no condensation issues, but I’ve only had it out a few times.

I plan on rounding out my bag options with a Badger MF for the warmer months.

OP
sportsmans challenge
Thinking the mf might be what i am looking for. I will be doing some more reading and looking, but will most likely go with the w.m. bag. Just want to make sure this bag covers all the colder options that i might get into.

Also looking at base layers for in the bag at night will keep cleaner as well as bump up the temp rating a bit.

Lawnboi

WKR
Personally use 2 extremelite bags in ultralight bivies and have been very happy.

Can’t go wrong with WM.

Can’t comment on the microfiber or gore, I went through the same dilemma when I got my WM bags

OP
sportsmans challenge
Personally use 2 extremelite bags in ultralight bivies and have been very happy.

Can’t go wrong with WM.

Can’t comment on the microfiber or gore, I went through the same dilemma when I got my WM bags
I am definitely happy with my terralite, looking for something that may be a little more assuring when weather and temps drop

Blue Skunk

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking the mf might be what i am looking for. I will be doing some more reading and looking, but will most likely go with the w.m. bag. Just want to make sure this bag covers all the colder options that i might get into.

Also looking at base layers for in the bag at night will keep cleaner as well as bump up the temp rating a bit.
I have the Western Mountaineering Flash Pants and are great for camp lounging and additional sleeping layer if needed. Could be a nice compliment to your sleep system.

Shrek

WKR
I’ve got the Kodiak in microfiber and it sheds water very well. If it’s going to be that cold it’s not often you’ll encounter enough condensation to come close to soaking a microfiber bag. I’d be more concerned about moisture from you and the Microfiber will breath better than the Gore windstop fabric. I’ve put damp clothes , not soaking wet , in the bag with me to dry them out and it worked fine because the Kodiak with microfiber breathes so well. The Gore fabric is wasted money and weight in most conditions you’re likely to encounter and possibly a negative due to less breathability.
Bottom line is microfiber sheds water very well.