Microflight 8's

Btaylor

WKR
Ran across a half dozen of these in an old arrow stash. Thought I might fletch them up but then wondered about integrity of the shafts. Any thoughts? Would be shot from 53# recurve.

Beendare

WKR
I've seen em....never shot them. Aluminum was the ticket when I started.

Fiberglass tubes might be some cracking or failures on the ends. Are they still straight?

"Straight" being a relative term...I doubt these are very straight as thats why Aluminum shafts took over- they killed woodies and the fiberglass shafts when it came to straightness and spine consistency.

A piece of archery history for sure.

I still regret giving away a paint bucket of the bear BH's I got from my rep buddy when he left the business.

OP
B

Btaylor

WKR
I havent really checked for straight yet. They are bundled together with twist ties. The ends looked ok at a glance and there is length to cut them down a bit which they need any way. 8's I believe were a 50# shaft cut to 28". I have a lighter bow than my primary that they should work for just fine. Killed my first deer with one out of this batch of shafts. Dad gave me 2 dozen shafts and this 6 is whats left. They will probably get Bear heads. Dad has some that if I remember right the price sticker was less than a dollar a pack.

This past weekend he said I should go through all of his archery stuff and get everything I want to keep because he is done. At 76 he hasnt bow hunted for few years now but he had not said he was done either. It was a tougher thing to hear than I imagined it might be and has me thinking about how he started me out with a little bear recurve that we still have and a lifetime of bow hunts for about every critter in this state.

Beendare

WKR
Well they are a great blast from the past anyway.

That would be cool as hell to kill something with the shafts your father used back in the day.

When I started shooting a bow those were the cheap alternative to Anodized Alu and the guys steered me away from them. I know that have a numbered sizing for spine...something like 1-10....or 1-12 as I recall.

There is enough guys into that vintage stuff...these might be worth some $$ to those guys though it seems to me they were pretty ubiquitous back before Alu...so maybe not.

Cool stuff!

Beendare

WKR
BT,- if you end up messing with them, specs, how they fly, etc.........

I would be interested to hear your experience as a comparison to modern arrows......cool stuff.

OP
B

Btaylor

WKR
Definitely plan to set them up. I just have to find the inserts for them. Already have glue on field points and broadheads and nocks but havent found the adapter inserts. I know they are stashed away somewhere in all his old stuff but havent run across them yet. Otherwise I will have to see what regular insert might work.