Mid Grade Binos

Looking at mid grade binos. After much research, I have narrowed my search to Vortex Viper 10x42s and Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42s. I can get the Zeiss for $700ish, so the price range is minimal. At this time, I can't afford to buy top of the line. Thoughts? Options?

sneek-ee

WKR
I've had the Conquests for a few months now and have been nothing but happy with them!!
700 brand new?? That's a pretty good deal! Where at for that cheap? I'd definitely do that..
If you are going to get Vortex, don't get the Viper's, get the new Razors.. the conquests and razor's are comparable.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I would go for the Zeiss, if you can get them for that excellent price.

The Vipers are a good choice also.

I recently looked at the Kruger Caldera, and found it an excellent wide-field performer under your price range. Optically it was still very good.

I will be evaluating the Zen Ray Prime HD soon, and it is another player in that price range.

OP
SmokeEater
Good info, trying to get the best quality glass I can for around $600-$800. I will be hunting all over MT and it will be my only glass, as I am still saving for a spotting scope. Am I better off with the 10x42scold for this?

Sneek-ee- Promotive.com

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to prefer 10X42 overall, but I get along fine with an 8X42. I actually prefer the 8X42 when I spend a lot of time horseback, because it is easier to hold steady in the saddle. I prefer the 10s when I can hunker down and support the bins, or especially when I have them tripod mounted.

BTW,

I kind of feel like your handle right now over here in the Bitterroot.

OP
SmokeEater
Thanks, i think 10x42 is my best bet, so Zeiss is the way to go for that price? Want to get into something good for a few years before I buy top tier glass.

I hear u, got a bunch of buddies fighting fire down there now, unfortunately, i'm stationed in San Diego and just waiting to get out of the Corps in about a month....just in time for hunting season!

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
I will throw Meopta into the ring. I had a Swarovski SLC 10x42, loved them. Thought I needed some extra money, sadly sold them. Then bought the Meopta Meostar B1, they are fantastic. I'm my opinion every bit as good as the SLC. Now Meopta has come out with HD's for $1000, I believe. I think the non-HD can be had for a couple hundred less. Give Meopta a look, they really impressed me.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I used to have the Meostar B1 10x42, and would agree they are very similar to the SLC neu (which I currently have). They do have a little more yelow bias and show a little more Chromatic Aberration.

They are excellent binoculars and a great value. Build quality is robust.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
ZEISS CONQUEST 10X40 right now are $675 on camofire

Today's First Shooter: ZEISS CONQUEST 10X40 T* ABK BINOCULARS

$675.00 - 32% OFF

JNDEER

WKR
I would go for the Zeiss, if you can get them for that excellent price.

The Vipers are a good choice also.

I recently looked at the Kruger Caldera, and found it an excellent wide-field performer under your price range. Optically it was still very good.

I will be evaluating the Zen Ray Prime HD soon, and it is another player in that price range.

Yep, do not forget the Zen binos. I love my prime for sure, but have not compared them to any big players (razors and some middle range bushnelll's) I think you will be impressed with the Zen Prime, but you have compared LOTS more bino's than I......when you finally get your hands on them, hopefully you can post up some sort of review or at least break down your thought as to how good they are or are not compared to the big three!

HOT ROD

WKR
I am not a bino or spotter expert. The zeiss conquest hd. Are pretty good binos. Let me see very well. Even at last lite. I watched people working and walking. From my deck. Thay were a long way of. If they were deer. I would of had no problem. Telling if it was a legal buck or not.. Still have the good deals on ebay. No scam either. They are camralandny deals... check it out...