Mid - Late Season Pants

edevans

FNG
I mostly have lightweight hiking pants as of now. I am looking for something to wear in the mid-late season. Something that has knee pads and is waterproof for sitting and glassing. Hip vents would be nice too.

What does everyone recommend? I have seen the First Lite Corrugate Foundry, Sitka Timberline, and Kuiu Axis Hybrid pants. Does anyone have experience with any of those pants or any hiking brand options?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
King’s camo preacher pant. Hip vents and removable knee pads. Not water proof, just a dwr soft shell material. They don’t have a fleece lining for warmth (easy enough to add a base layer) but the material is somewhat thick so air doesn’t go right through them that’s why I’d call them a mid season pant. Personally I don’t care to have water proof material unless it’s crap weather all day.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I also use the preacher pants and they are great. I see the newer versions are out and are much more expensive though. I think I only paid $65 when I got them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I purchased a pair of Timberlines two years ago and think it would be tough to find a better mid-late season pant (Montana mid-late season anyways).

Extremely tough/durable pant, fit is relaxed so no problems climbing around/over/under blowdown, roomy cargo pockets, waterproof seat/knees and I love the built in suspenders. I just use different base layers based on expected temperatures.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Kuiu for a couple years now. Their pants are fantastic. I have the Attack pants and Guide Pants, an absolutely love them. They are my "go to" pants. For cold weather I would go with the Guide pants or the Axis pants, and then layer up with 1 or 2 long johns underneath. All great stuff, with hip zips to let the heat out when active and they work GREAT! They're pricey, and the tops tend to run about 1/2 size small. Pants sizes are pretty accurate. I wait and buy most of my stuff when they have their sales. Good luck!

I went from Timberlines to Fjallraven Keb’s. Hip vents, water proof where you want with their wax, built in gators, these checked all the boxes for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Simply going to say. Corrugate foundry is where it’s at. Have two pairs and they are perfect for everything