Mid Layer Analysis Paralysis - Non-hooded with hand pockets, anyone?

ChrisAU

WKR
Last year this was my October upper body set up:

FL Wick 150 SS
Kuiu Peloton 97 QZ
Kuiu Strongfleece 260 Hoody
Arc'Teryx Cerium LT Hoody
OR Helium II Rain Jacket

The Strongfleece 260 was wayyy to hot to wear moving, even with temps near 0. So, I'm wanting something lighter in that slot. I've also added a Peloton 97 hoody to the fold, as I would like to have that to knock the chill off my neck/head when hiking in just my SS base and the 97. So now, I have this:

Sitka Merino Core Lightweight QZ SS (custum piece, shout out to Rugged Thread)
Kuiu Peloton 97 Hoody

I'd really like to have the blank be piece with hand pockets, that was very nice around camp, and I do not want a hood as my 97 has one and my puffy has one. I currently have these that meet the criteria:

Kuiu Strongfleece 210 - I like this but the arms are tighter than I'd like.
Kuiu Kutana Hybrid - Really like this, but it may be heavier than I need. Probably warmer than the 260 I took last year, but, being a full zip I could vent it easier?

And these that don't meet the criteria:
Kuiu Peloton 200
Sitka Core Midweight

Anyone have any recs on a midweight fleece with hand pockets and no hoods? Probably a non hunting brand, though I may have looked over some hunting options.

Edit: I've also considered taking my Peloton 97 QZ and Sitka Mountain Jacket to combine in the role of that primary mid-layer and add a windproof layer. Together they weigh 18 oz.

Last edited:
OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
How about a hoodless 240 over the 97?

That certainly crossed my mind after posting this morning, of course I had one of those last year and sold it...dangit. I do like that it would be a full zip. Of course XL is sold out on the Kuiu site right now.

Stumbled upon the Outdoor Research Trail Mix Snap Pullover today too, considering it.

Drenalin

WKR
How about a military grid fleece? Cheap to get, so you're not out much if you don't like it. This is a kangaroo pocket though, not individual hand pockets.

I think I would try the double 97 since you sold your 240. A SS synthetic or 150 wick, 97 then 240 is what I run and if I need more weather protection I will add the Axis jacket and can put a kenai vest under the axis for really cold lower movement but active hunts. Trying out the Chamberlain this year also instead of a single 5 oz down fill puffy.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Well, I logged into my Kuiu account and they’ve been listening lol. Had a $25 off $125 coupon pop up, placed an order for a Large Peloton 240 full zip. The XL I had was room and I love the fit of my Large Peloton 240 vest, just hope the arms aren’t too tight on this one.

j33

WKR
Well, I logged into my Kuiu account and they’ve been listening lol. Had a $25 off $125 coupon pop up, placed an order for a Large Peloton 240 full zip. The XL I had was room and I love the fit of my Large Peloton 240 vest, just hope the arms aren’t too tight on this one.
Curious @ChrisAU if you have any updates on how you thought the Peloton 240 full zip worked vs your Peloton 240 vest? I found I was just a bit too hot with the 240 jacket so was thinking of a vest instead to add windproof to the system, also drops a bit of weight.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Curious @ChrisAU if you have any updates on how you thought the Peloton 240 full zip worked vs your Peloton 240 vest? I found I was just a bit too hot with the 240 jacket so was thinking of a vest instead to add windproof to the system, also drops a bit of weight.

I sold it, again. Just not much warmth to weight for me. I also don’t think it’s a great wind blocker. I’d rather double or triple up 97’s.

Reactions: j33

fey

FNG
Eddie bauer has their cloud layer fleeces on seasonal clearance right now for 25. The full zipper version has hand pockets and they've got tall sizes if you need that. I wear the MT in the 1/2 zip at 6'1" 170, but I might get the LT if it was my 3rd layer.

j33

WKR
I sold it, again. Just not much warmth to weight for me. I also don’t think it’s a great wind blocker. I’d rather double or triple up 97’s.

You talking the full zip you sold or the vest?
Funny enough I don’t think the full zip is worth it’s weight either, for almost half the weight I thought maybe the vest may be worth it, but doesn’t sound like it.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
You talking the full zip you sold or the vest?
Funny enough I don’t think the full zip is worth it’s weight either, for almost half the weight I thought maybe the vest may be worth it, but doesn’t sound like it.

The full zip. I use the vest around town, it doesn’t have a place in my hunting lineup either.

j33

WKR
The full zip. I use the vest around town, it doesn’t have a place in my hunting lineup either.

Gotcha that’s helpful.

So what’s the 2021 go to layering? Two 97’s? My Kutana Hybrid seems decent the couple winter days I’ve used it, we’ll see how it does in warmer weather vs the 240.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Gotcha that’s helpful.

So what’s the 2021 go to layering? Two 97’s? My Kutana Hybrid seems decent the couple winter days I’ve used it, we’ll see how it does in warmer weather vs the 240.

For me my main stay is a FL 150 Wick base, 97 over that, and then some mixture of Kuiu Kutana Hybrid/Sitka Core Heavyweight/Kuiu SF 280/Kuiu Kenai (Vest and Jacket) until it gets really really cold which become puffy territory over some combo of those.

The 97 is waaaay too hot for me when hiking in October, even in the teens.

I agree that it's weight to warmth ratio is magical like a lot of guys say, but that sucker doesn't breath at all on the move -- for me personally.

j33

WKR
The 97 is waaaay too hot for me when hiking in October, even in the teens.

I agree that it's weight to warmth ratio is magical like a lot of guys say, but that sucker doesn't breath at all on the move -- for me personally.

Complete opposite for me, very breathable. Which fleece breaths better than it?

Definitely need a small breeze to keep cool all depends on the day. When hiking in November I’m often just a long sleeve shirt if it ain’t windy.

Complete opposite for me, very breathable. Which fleece breaths better than it?

Definitely need a small breeze to keep cool all depends on the day. When hiking in November I’m often just a long sleeve shirt if it ain’t windy.

It's weird for me, it's light enough to wear in 80º as a sun shirt.

But man on the move it's a furnace.

I guess i am. Little confused as to what you are looking for...a mid layer without a hood and pockets is pretty much want inread as the criteria, but then wind protection, warmth, breathability all come into play in the discussion. So What exactly are you looking for? What temps/conditions are you looking to wear this in and how much do you want to do with it as an outer layer as well?

but homestly there are a bunch of options depending on your needs. A lot of non hunting brands offer such items too