Mid layer, fleece or merino

First lite 200 merino base, kuiu 97 fleece, puffy, and a rain shell has been my go to system this year for 95% of temp ranges (0-100 deg, August-December, Montana)

Bottoms is light merino underwear and prana zion. Add gaitors when snow/rain. If I was patient enough to sit and glass more, puffy pants may be valuable on very cold days.

Shed while moving to manage sweat, add while stationary to manage heat.

Only time I needed more was sitting in a duck blind on a -5 degree morning. Just threw another cheap 200 weight fleece for a second mid layer. Also had 5mm waders on for bottoms.

Last edited:
Echoing others on here. Merino underwear and base followed by a thin synthetic long sleeve shirt and grid fleece. Adding more layers if needed. I'm mainly a whitetail hunter but this system works well when driving deer for miles a day.

I have tried wool mid layers but gone back to fleece. My gotos are grid fleece from Patagonia and first lite. If I needed another I would probably get Sitka with a hood.

IMO grid breathes. It doesn’t stink and it is easy to care for. My FL version is at least 4 years old and gong strong.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I almost always have worn a layer or two of fleece and still do. But I bought a FL Furnace last year and it is my go to mid layer for cold days. Most of my hunting is stationary and the Furnace is the warmest piece for the weight and bulk that I own. I wear it on cold mornings sitting over water for archery elk, in a tree stand for whitetails and while standing in water hunting ducks. I have several really warm fleece pullovers from various manufacturers and none of them is nearly as warm as the Furnace.

SnakeEater

Lil-Rokslider
FL Furnace gets my vote as well. Great mid layer or very comfortable next to skin, 350 gram merino, very warm.

I am a big fan of merino in next to skin applications and will always wear merino base layers and boxers. However my question is regarding mid layer pieces. Have you had better luck with a second merino piece or a grid backed fleece option. Best comparison I can come up with would be the kiln vs the klamath from FL. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Depends on you.

For me, wool because I find it more breathable over a wider temperature range and warmer at colder temperatures.

Everyone has a different opinion on this though, so it's individual specific.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
100% merino has it's place for lower activity, very low perspiration individuals, extremely dry climates or extended hunts when scent is key.
I prefer 100% merino for my very high perspiration activities (i.e. elk hunting). Synthetics and blends just don't seem to keep up with getting the sweat off my skin as well as 100% merino does for me.

And as for lower body, I've never used a midlayer ever........even in below zero temps. I wear my lightweight base layers and then whatever pants I'm wearing. My legs aren't really affected by the cold much.

I have tried wool mid layers but gone back to fleece. My gotos are grid fleece from Patagonia and first lite. If I needed another I would probably get Sitka with a hood.

IMO grid breathes. It doesn’t stink and it is easy to care for. My FL version is at least 4 years old and gong strong.

Are you wearing grid fleece that is treated to control odor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you wearing grid fleece that is treated to control odor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patagonia is not for sure. The FL may have been at some point. Can’t imagine it is still going after 4-5 years. My merino mid layers - FL and Sitka - just got and stayed funky much faster.

RoseAllen

FNG
I prefer 100% merino for my very high perspiration activities (i.e. elk hunting). Synthetics and blends just don't seem to keep up with getting the sweat off my skin as well as 100% merino does for me.

And as for lower body, I've never used a midlayer ever........even in below zero temps. I wear my lightweight base layers and then whatever pants I'm wearing. My legs aren't really affected by the cold much.
Where are you buying 100% wool? The only companies I know with 100%?wool is in Europe and New Zealand.

Bump79

WKR
Kings offers a 150 weight 100% merino. Honestly, if the blend is less than 15% synthetic I can't even tell.

Pseudo

FNG
I also just use a basic synthetic grid fleece. They are bomb proof and it's easy to find a good deal on a non-hunting brand one in a reasonable color too.